Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ebay - grrrr

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I have noticed that there is a signed picture of Dan Harding on Ebay. Looking at the seller info (based in Coventry) they seem to have sold a lot of signed pictures of (so called) celebrities.

be_2.JPG

The picture they have used is one Roz took of Mendoza and Dan Harding for last years REMF game but they have chopped Mendoza out of the picture!

brettharding7vv.th.jpg

Seems there is a lot of money to be made from hanging around outside training grounds to get autographs. No wonder Man Utd players no longer sign autographs at their training ground.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
THIS 3" X 4" MAGAZINE PHOTO CONTAINS THE GENUINE HANDSIGNED AUTOGRAPH OF THE GULLS DEFENDER ,THE PHOTO IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND COMES SUPPLIED IN A SOFT PLASTIC PROTECTIVE SLEEVE..

When did Torquay sign him?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
All my pictures are copyrighted - and clearly indicated as such. So someone can expect me to be tracking them down sharpish. And I shan't be in a forgiving frame of mind when I find him either.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
has roz copyrighted the picture?

"Copyright in photographs taken on or after August 1, 1989 is owned by the taker, unless made during the course of employment (in which case the employer is the copyright owner) or under a contractual commission specifying that the commissioner will own the copyright (in which case the commissioner owns the copyright)."

If she took the picture for her own purposes she owns the copyright. If she took it on behalf of someone else like a company or magazine then the company owns the copyright.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Rangdo said:
If she took it on behalf of someone else like a company or magazine then the company owns the copyright.

...unless she's got a decent freelance deal whereby she retains copyright. Can happen sometimes, but not so much any more sadly.

*forlorny waves NSC chapel banner*

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
MrV said:
Yeah I always see this fat bloke that waits outside the changing rooms after every game without fail hunting for autographs. I bet he makes a few bob on ebay.

:lolol: SteveBHA is his Ebay username.

I mean fair enough getting autographs for personal collections etc, but to flog them is just wrong, especially if you are nicking other peoples pics to do itSteveBHA

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Withdean Wanderer said:
:lolol: SteveBHA is his Ebay username.

I mean fair enough getting autographs for personal collections etc, but to flog them is just wrong, especially if you are nicking other peoples pics to do itSteveBHA

It's clearly an easy way to make money but it's out of order. That is why Man U got so pissed off with it.

Players are going to be less likely to give us signed memorabilia to auction off for charity events like REMF if they see things like that turning up on ebay. :angry:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Thanks for bringing this to my attention everyone. Unfortunately, this eejit really shouldn't have decided to half-inch the work of a professional photographer who could bore for their country on picture copyright - I don't pay those NUJ subs for nothing y'know!!

Here's a little summary:

Under UK law, copyright is the property right that authors have in the work they created. Photographers are considered "authors" in the 1998 Copyright Act and thus their work is protected BY LAW from unauthorised use. Copyright, incidentally cannot be ASSUMED, it has to be ASSIGNED, in writing. And just out of interest, I never assign my copyright to anyone. I licence my work for publication and always retain the copyright! In this instance no such licensing agreement exists and "Steve BHA" has stolen the picture by downloading it from my website and printing a copy off for his own purposes.

Moral rights - which this fuckwit has also breached - means that authors have the right not to have their work given derogatory treatment; that is altered in a way that is prejudicial. Cutting Mendoza out of the image is a breach of moral right.

If you are a staff photographer, your copyright is normally owned by your employers but that doesn't mean it mysteriously disappears! As anyone who tried a similar trick with The Argus would soon discover!

The whole issue of autographed pictures can be complicated since there's nothing to stop someone getting a picture signed. However, at the very least, you expect someone to have obtained the original picture legitimately. Not NICKED it from a website that has an extremely clear statement about who owns the copyright to the images and who to contact about picture licensing!

This is theft. Pure and simple. So if anyone has any definite knowledge of who this person is or how to get in touch with him I'd be grateful for more details.

He's also done the same trick with a picture of Kerry Mayo, incidentally. Although whether he actually BOUGHT the picture which is clearly produced by the Club, I don't know.

(PS. I told you I could go on and on and on about this didn't I?!)

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
roz said:
Thanks for bringing this to my attention everyone. Unfortunately, this eejit really shouldn't have decided to half-inch the work of a professional photographer who could bore for their country on picture copyright - I don't pay those NUJ subs for nothing y'know!!

Here's a little summary:

Under UK law, copyright is the property right that authors have in the work they created. Photographers are considered "authors" in the 1998 Copyright Act and thus their work is protected BY LAW from unauthorised use. Copyright, incidentally cannot be ASSUMED, it has to be ASSIGNED, in writing. And just out of interest, I never assign my copyright to anyone. I licence my work for publication and always retain the copyright! In this instance no such licensing agreement exists and "Steve BHA" has stolen the picture by downloading it from my website and printing a copy off for his own purposes.

Moral rights - which this fuckwit has also breached - means that authors have the right not to have their work given derogatory treatment; that is altered in a way that is prejudicial. Cutting Mendoza out of the image is a breach of moral right.

If you are a staff photographer, your copyright is normally owned by your employers but that doesn't mean it mysteriously disappears! As anyone who tried a similar trick with The Argus would soon discover!

The whole issue of autographed pictures can be complicated since there's nothing to stop someone getting a picture signed. However, at the very least, you expect someone to have obtained the original picture legitimately. Not NICKED it from a website that has an extremely clear statement about who owns the copyright to the images and who to contact about picture licensing!

This is theft. Pure and simple. So if anyone has any definite knowledge of who this person is or how to get in touch with him I'd be grateful for more details.

He's also done the same trick with a picture of Kerry Mayo, incidentally. Although whether he actually BOUGHT the picture which is clearly produced by the Club, I don't know.

(PS. I told you I could go on and on and on about this didn't I?!)

Just a point, i didn't think SteveBHA was the seller, he was just the bloke mentioned above who frequently flogs signed programmes on Ebay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here