Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eastbourne Hospital at it again!! Poor service. It needs to be closed.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
3 years ago today, my father died. The reason he died was due to a heart attack however just before this he got gang green after an operation at Eastbourne Hospital that he should not have had.

At the time of the operation my father was seriously mentally ill. He was a diabetic and under the care of a pshychiatrist in Brighton, GP and Mental health worker.

Basically they gave him an operation on his privates without checking his records beforehand and later he contracted gang green resulting in him having to have an inch chopped of his member.

The reason he got gang green was because Eastbourne Hospital was

(1) Dirty.
(2) He did not recieve proper care
(3) Was given an operation without checking his records first.
(4) We never knew he was having an operation. He lied because he was mentally ill.

I had a case to sue Eastbourne Hospital. This was backed up by the psychiatrist in Brighton, his GP and Mental Health worker. But I could not be bothered.

Ok now my girlfriends grandmother has got MRSA. Not only that but one of the Agency nurses had a go at one of her relatives when her grandmother accidently went to toilet in the bed and needed assistance. This nurse has now been removed from the ward.

Has anyone else know of relatives friends who have had problems with Eastbourne Hospital?

This hospital is a F*(king joke. And the directors, senior staff need to be bought to book on the way this place is being run and cleaned.

And I also believe one of the directors got a nice big hefty pay off.

Im thinking of writing to the goverment about this place. Im sick of it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
adrian29uk said:

With all due respect, and not wishing to make light in any way of your circumstances, do you think that you alone writing to the Government, or to anyone else, will make even one iota of difference?

They're not likely to say "oh look, we've had a letter of complaint regarding the conditions at Eastbourne Hospital, we'd better close it". If that logic was applied to everything, then nothing would be open.

If you want to stand any chance of making a real difference in the matter, you need a far more large-scale demonstration of your feelings than just a letter.

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
If you've got a detailed dossier of evidence about the place or any particular staff you feel have been negligent, you really ought to tell

a) a lawyer; and
b) the local media.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Re: Re: Eastbourne Hospital at it again!! Poor service. It needs to be closed.

Frutos said:
With all due respect, and not wishing to make light in any way of your circumstances, do you think that you alone writing to the Government, or to anyone else, will make even one iota of difference?

They're not likely to say "oh look, we've had a letter of complaint regarding the conditions at Eastbourne Hospital, we'd better close it". If that logic was applied to everything, then nothing would be open.

If you want to stand any chance of making a real difference in the matter, you need a far more large-scale demonstration of your feelings than just a letter.

It does annoy me. If this was my own mum, or in fact anyone elses mum they would be going up the wall.

I understand they are busy, but the simple things like care and keeping the place clean is a joke, especially when these people have paid in to the system for so many years.

I know the goverment wont do anything, but I just cant believe how this goes on when we have one of the 5th richest economies in the world.

Albion Rob

I don't think closing the hospital is the answer, a community the size of Eastbpurne and the surrounding area needs a hospital.

However, I agree with you that what you and your family have experienced is unacceptable and that a major change of ethos and probably senior management is needed.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
adrian29uk said:
3 years ago today, my father died. The reason he died was due to a heart attack however just before this he got gang green after an operation at Eastbourne Hospital that he should not have had.

At the time of the operation my father was seriously mentally ill. He was a diabetic and under the care of a pshychiatrist in Brighton, GP and Mental health worker.

Basically they gave him an operation on his privates without checking his records beforehand and later he contracted gang green resulting in him having to have an inch chopped of his member.

The reason he got gang green was because Eastbourne Hospital was

(1) Dirty.
(2) He did not recieve proper care
(3) Was given an operation without checking his records first.
(4) We never knew he was having an operation. He lied because he was mentally ill.

I had a case to sue Eastbourne Hospital. This was backed up by the psychiatrist in Brighton, his GP and Mental Health worker. But I could not be bothered.

Ok now my girlfriends grandmother has got MRSA. Not only that but one of the Agency nurses had a go at one of her relatives when her grandmother accidently went to toilet in the bed and needed assistance. This nurse has now been removed from the ward.

Has anyone else know of relatives friends who have had problems with Eastbourne Hospital?

This hospital is a F*(king joke. And the directors, senior staff need to be bought to book on the way this place is being run and cleaned.

And I also believe one of the directors got a nice big hefty pay off.

In the current light could you still not sue them ? that would carry far more weight then any letter to the Govt .. Have you still the records ,letters etc from brighton Phychiatrist ..

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I wish I had the time and most importantly the energy to go throught the legal process.

If it is anything like Falmer which I guess it would be it is more stress to contend with and secondly I would not be allowed any legal aid in a situation like this, as I have saved my money.

I know that my girlfriends family will be sueing the hospital over her grandmother. They are entitled to legal aid.

It should not end up this way. If hospitals where kept clean, and people where cared for these things would not happen.

I can only presume that hospitals employ contract cleaners. If they do employ a contract company to clean these hospitals are they being trained properly.

Again same goes for Contract Nurses, I know a lot of them really care for their jobs and most importantly care for the patients on the ward, but from what I have experienced and from what has now happend to my girlfriends grandmother and also the stories you hear about in the media it does make you wonder if some of them dont really give a shit and are just their for the money.

I am not making an assumption of all Nurses and Cleaners, some of them do an excellent job, but why does this keep happening @ Eastbourne Hospital.

I am glad that my local hospital is Brighton. If they asked to me to go Eastbourne I would ask to be transferred.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Adrian have you written a letter of complaint to the Chairman of the Hospital trust? As an ex CEO of a trust I can tell you that letters of complaint are taken very seriously and if you remain dissatisfied you can then go to the Health Service Ombusdman.

Another way of dealing with it is to write to your MP with your complaint.

Justified Complaints do lead to changes in practice and staff,
I can assure you.

If you want financial compensation then you will have to use a solicitor but in my experience the outcome of that will not necessarily lead to better services.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Thank you for the advice. I am not after any compensation whatsover.

However I may just write a letter to the director of the hospital in question.

We dont want this happening to other patients that go in. Its not good enough.

What with my father, then my girlfriends grandmother it has bought it all home to me.

Last edited:

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:

b) the local media.

The last few years have seen The Easbourne Herald attempt to remodel itself as a scandal-loving, headline-breaking tabloid. However, with the total lack of headlines and scandal to be had in Eastbourne, they should LAP your story up.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
A couple of years back I was attending Eastbourne DGH for various appointments relating to joint complaints. I always found the staff polite and helpful, and the place seemed clean. Admittedly I never had an op or had to stay in overnight but my MANY visits were all well handled.

My Grandad was in a while ago, also, due to having Bowel Cancer and was in there for about 3 weeks, his only complaint was that there was too many old people in his ward (the cheek of a man in his late 80's). He was well cared for and the nurses were always polite and couldn't do enough for him. This could possibly because he acts nearer to 40 than 80.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
My Nan died there. Her jewellery (rings) and a small amount of cash went missing the night she passed away. Staff had no immediate record of who the agency staff were that moved her that night. Eventually everything was recovered so they must have collared the person responsible.

My Dad contracted MRSA there. Place was very dirty in places (rubbish, linen bags lying around waiting for collection). Never ever saw any cleaning going on.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
May be worth making your views known to the;

South East Coast SHA
York House
18 - 20 Massetts Road
Horley
RH16 7DE

They are currently carrying out a review of local hospital services called 'Fit for the Future'.

They are looking to restructure local services, this could result in the closure of some services.

DC Rules

Could It Be Forever?
Sep 19, 2006
My father died almost 4 years ago, the day after being moved from Eastbourne hospital to a nursing home, the move was too much but we had been waiting so long for the move to happen. He was in and out of hospital for about 2 years before his death and the standards in there were dreadful then, we complained several times. One example, dad had a brain tumour, and had symptoms similar to a stroke. He was in a 6 bedded bay with others in same physical state. At meal times, they would bring round trays of food, put them in front of them all, walk away and come back 20 mins or so later. None of these patients could move enough to reach the tray, let alone feed themselves, but it was time to clear away the trays, so they cleared them away. None of them were ever helped to be fed, unless they had visitors. On many occasions my sisters, mum and I would feed all the patients in the room.
My mum died in there in November. She had also been in and out for 10 years, but this time it was obvious when admitted in September she was very poorly (she suffered from breathing problems caused by smoking) and also had a form of dementia. I took in all her tablets, inhalers etc and handed them to the doctor. A week later, we realised she hadn't been given any of them, they denied ever having seen the 10 or so different tablets, but were wondering why she was deteriorating. However when they were getting ready to discharge her after a few weeks (which never happened, she was never well enough), strangely the tablets I had brought in from home were in the bag to take back with her, the very ones they had never seen.
There were numerous other problems, hygiene being one of the worst. They have the scrub stuff by each bed for visitors and staff, yet when I was sitting there once, a healthcare assistant went from one bed to the next in the 6 bedded bay without ever using it. I complained to the sister on duty, and she apologised but what goes on when no-one is looking. Dried blood on the floor by mum's bed for over a week...I could go on, but I've had a rant now!

Today being the anniversary of your dad's death makes it hard, I know. Mother's day was bad yesterday. I don't know what to say to make things better, I can't, sorry, but I can empathise with what you are suffering.

colinpants

IT CONSULTANT
Jan 24, 2005
My mate fell off a ladder last summer and needed a plate in his leg and had to have a stay in there. He ended up an geriatric ward. While i was visiting him an old boy was asking for a camode the nurse said he would have to wait as there wasn't one available but i've asking for one for half an hour, which he had. She just repeated herself and walked off.

Shortly after he shit himself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here