Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eastbourne-based Tennis Player Reaches Quarter-Final Of Aussie Open!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Great news for Jo. I may even watch her next match. Hat's off to her.

As for Britishness - Britain is an idea, not a country. Chris Froome has never even lived here, and yet her sees himself as British.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
As for Britishness - Britain is an idea, not a country. Chris Froome has never even lived here, and yet her sees himself as British.

But the British public clearly don't, as in spite of the first Brit winning TdF twice, came nowhere (6th) in SPOTY.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But the British public clearly don't, as in spite of the first Brit winning TdF twice, came nowhere in SPOTY.

Tell me about it!

That said, he was up against the Davis Cup winning hero, Sir Murray of the Mint.

Even without that, I doubt he would have won. He hasn't yet had his crying at Wimbledon moment that will thaw our hearts.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I bet the LTA are relieved there's finally a decent, consistent, injury-free female top level player. However, it's merely papering over the cracks - the fact she's the first Grand Slam quarter-finalist since Jo Durie more than 3 decades ago is an absolute disgrace.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
....and she gets to play a Chinese qualifier Zhang in the Quarters after her seeded opponent Madison Keys did her hip in their game. With Serena and Sharapova in the other half of the draw she's got a real chance here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
....and she gets to play a Chinese qualifier Zhang in the Quarters after her seeded opponent Madison Keys did her hip in their game. With Serena and Sharapova in the other half of the draw she's got a real chance here.

I think she'll lose. Zhang looked fantastic against Alize Cornet - absolutely smashed the second seed!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I'm sure they'll be along soon enough, normally only takes a mention of Murray or Farah to sound the alarm bells.

Great achievement for her though, with Watson (when on form/fully fit) we've two very decent women's players. Shame that Robson has been injured for so long as she was looking promising as well.

That's Heather Watson - born in the channel islands to a Papua New Guinean mother, then raised and trained in Florida, and Laura Robson, born in Melbourne to Australian parents? Two more absolute TRIUMPHS for the LTA :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe Djokovic could be suffering a slight blip in form that Murray can take advantage of...

'Defending champion Novak Djokovic survived a scare against Gilles Simon to reach the last eight of the Australian Open in Melbourne.
Five-time champion Djokovic made 100 unforced errors but prevailed 6-3 6-7 (1-7) 6-4 4-6 6-3 after four hours and 32 minutes on Rod Laver Arena.'

I'm on Kai Nishikori to beat Djokovic 3-1.

Nishikori has been in cracking form this tournament, although Djokovic looks like he'll take the first set here.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm on Kai Nishikori to beat Djokovic 3-1.

Nishikori has been in cracking form this tournament, although Djokovic looks like he'll take the first set here.

Well Djokovic has taken the first two sets but will have a cheeky in-play on NishiKori willing 3-2 :thumbsup:

(edit: got the Nishikori bet on @ 25/1 - and he's currently 2-0 up in the third set :clap2:)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well Djokovic has taken the first two sets but will have a cheeky in-play on NishiKori willing 3-2 :thumbsup:

From what I've seen, NIshkori has played well and matched him at certain points in the game, but Djokovic has been back to his best. His last match has acted as wake up call to Novak and done Kai no good at all.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From what I've seen, NIshkori has played well and matched him at certain points in the game, but Djokovic has been back to his best. His last match has acted as wake up call to Novak and done Kai no good at all.

Nishikori currently having his leg strapped up... :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here