Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] EARN IT Champions League Protest Shirts vs Chelsea

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I want better T-Shirts than Leeds frankly or else White’s head could be turned again.

‘Kick Out The Greedy Six’ would be my choice as main text.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Blimey. We'll never fit all that on a t-shirt.

Not with that attitude.

Screenshot 2021-04-20 155115.png

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Brilliant! I want one Tom!

If we warm up in those tonight we would have achieved ‘Peak Barbs.’

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
OK maybe I'm missing something here, or perhaps its been mentioned somewhere on this thread, but there's 1 thing I don't get with this.

So there will be 20 teams, 15 of which will be the 'Founding Members' who will never be relegated. The other 5 places will be made up from teams via a qualifying mechanism for the ESL based on the previous domestic season.

Are these 5 teams who qualify then "locked in" to the ESL, the same as the founding members (but with less of a share of the revenues), never to be relegated ? Or is there still potential relegation for them ? Are they actually pulling up the drawbridge based on 1 season ?

Or if there is potential relegation, then what if a founding member finishes in the relegation zone. Does a non-founding member ie the next lowest down take the fall instead ? What if a whole cluster of FM's make up the bottom places ?

Asking for a friend.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Maybe I'm missing something here, or perhaps its been mentioned somewhere on this thread, but there's 1 thing I don't get with this.

So there will be 20 teams, 15 of which will be the 'Founding Members' who will never be relegated. The other 5 places will be made up from teams via a qualifying mechanism for the ESL based on the previous domestic season.

Are these 5 teams who qualify then "locked in" to the ESL, the same as the founding members (but with less of a share of the revenues), never to be relegated ? Or is there still potential relegation for them ? Are they actually pulling up the drawbridge based on 1 season ?

Or if there is potential relegation, then what if a founding member finishes in the relegation zone. Does a non-founding member ie the next lowest down take the fall instead ? What if a whole cluster of FM's make up the bottom places ?

Asking for a friend.

The way I read it, is that they are only in for one season irrespective of their performance in the ESL, (ie even if they win it, they still won't be in the following year)

The only way they could get back in is to re-qualify in the same way as they did before, presumably by winning their domestic league or whatever.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The way I read it, is that they are only in for one season irrespective of their performance in the ESL, (ie even if they win it, they still won't be in the following year)

The only way they could get back in is to re-qualify in the same way as they did before, presumably by winning their domestic league or whatever.

Ahh I see. Domestic qualification needed every season then. You're there as a guest at the top table, but effectively always "relegated", unless you've secured your place again domestically.

I wonder which Leagues they will glean the other 5 teams from then. Germany and France have (so far) said no. Are they excluding some nations based on the co-efficient of their clubs ? Will the likes of Italy and Spain get more representation, being as they currently only have 3 clubs to our 6 so far ?

:shrug:

May 5, 2020
Sussex
OK maybe I'm missing something here, or perhaps its been mentioned somewhere on this thread, but there's 1 thing I don't get with this.

Asking for a friend.

As I understand it the founding teams cannot be relegated from the ESL even if they finish bottom.
And there will indeed be places for teams to join each season and also get relegated.
I'm guessing this will be used as sweetener to other clubs in the prem to push the idea through.

Edit.yes what blue shifted said too.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Ok I now understand that there is no relegation, just qualification for 5 places each season.

But how do 5 teams get selected?
Will the top team from each league play off for the 5 spots?
What if the champions league carries on and those teams opt to play in that competition instead?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Ok I now understand that there is no relegation, just qualification for 5 places each season.

But how do 5 teams get selected?
Will the top team from each league play off for the 5 spots?
What if the champions league carries on and those teams opt to play in that competition instead?

All I remember reading is the 5 that join the 15 will be selected by previous acheivements from the season before but it's not clear what those acheivements are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The more you think through exactly how this will work, the more you realise how ridiculous the whole thing is.

Which is a good thing as it means even those at the back of the class will eventually realise this is just a good old fashioned shakedown.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Naylor has confirmed the Albion will wear protest shirts warming up tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here