Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Local Election results - UKIP smashing it

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I agree with you, this is a horrifying result for Labour. Most of the UKIP protest will vote Tory when it comes to the crunch but where's Labour's vote gone? We are in the 4th year of an unpopular anti- public sector, anti-welfare Government and Labour still aren't polling anywhere near what they need to win the next GE outright.

The truth is rightly or wrongly is that a fair chunk of the old working class Labour vote don't trust them. I have massive sympathy with that view.

Like to take you up on the point on anti-public sector,anti welfare government. Maybe it is just me but in my travels i find a fair number of people many like me home owner but working class i guess who have cut back on spending and lifestyle choices not that unhappy to see cuts in public and welfare spending.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I am not going to insult you Martyn but, you seem to have a fair bit to say on what you want etc, you seem to have a fair bit of time on your hands, you had a postal vote......and still you could not be bothered to vote. Many are blase about politics, but you seem to have pretty strong views, why not back them up with a little cross. You obviously have a big dislike for one party, surely a vote against that party would help.

As I have said before I think I am Liberal now, former Tory Party Member, the Liberal Party of 2014 does not stand for the Liberal principles it did 4 years ago, or 20 years ago so it was very hard to vote for them.
Should I have just closed by eyes and voted for anyone but UKIP, is that how we should use our votes that people fought and died for.
I have always taken voting very seriously and and found it very hard to not vote this time but felt it was the right thing for me, not for you or anyone else but for me. It was conscious decision, not because I could not been bothered!
When did it become right to 'vote for anyone on the ballot' instead of choosing to abstain?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I am not going to insult you Martyn but, you seem to have a fair bit to say on what you want etc, you seem to have a fair bit of time on your hands, you had a postal vote......and still you could not be bothered to vote. Many are blase about politics, but you seem to have pretty strong views, why not back them up with a little cross. You obviously have a big dislike for one party, surely a vote against that party would help.

I do have a lot of spare time, sadly I am unable to use that actively in politics, something I did to my bitter shame for the Tory Party in the 1980's and 1990's

Dandyman

In London village.
Like to take you up on the point on anti-public sector,anti welfare government. Maybe it is just me but in my travels i find a fair number of people many like me home owner but working class i guess who have cut back on spending and lifestyle choices not that unhappy to see cuts in public and welfare spending.

Is that just another way of saying you are happy to s@@t on people lower down the ladder than you ?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill

And if you became sick and could not work and pay your mortgage and UKIP or any other party had removed the NHS and made large cuts in welfare how would you feel then?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And if you became sick and could not work and pay your mortgage and UKIP or any other party had removed the NHS and made large cuts in welfare how would you feel then?

im wondering where these cuts have been announced. you siad a few posts before you've spoken to UKIP voters who have no idea of their policy in this area. i just looked and as far as i can they have no policy other than "dont let the immigrants use the facilities". are you going to point to a policy or are you basing your view on some off cuff remark by one of the members so many months ago?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
im wondering where these cuts have been announced. you siad a few posts before you've spoken to UKIP voters who have no idea of their policy in this area. i just looked and as far as i can they have no policy other than "dont let the immigrants use the facilities". are you going to point to a policy or are you basing your view on some off cuff remark by one of the members so many months ago?

UKIP's policies are listed on their website, WIKI is a good place to see them listed in one place with quotes as to who said them and at what time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Independence_Party

They are a Political Party fighting elections across the country, did you really think they had just one policy?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It has always been said that if a government in power is doing their job properly they should lose a lot of votes in mid term local elections as voters will not like what they are doing and the hardships an efficient government bring.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My Mother installed in me from a young age that to not vote was worse than voting for the wrong party. They have not always agreed with my choices but as long as I actually voted were happy that I exercised that vote, so many across the World have died for and been deprived of.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
My Mother installed in me from a young age that to not vote was worse than voting for the wrong party. They have not always agreed with my choices but as long as I actually voted were happy that I exercised that vote, so many across the World have died for and been deprived of.

As I have said it was a very hard decision. I am embarrassed by my former association with the Tory Party and the way I felt politically and have gone through many tough thoughts in the past few years. Maybe it's partly I am not ready commit again but I take politics very seriously and see voting as a solemn, important and vital action and I am not willing to 'just vote for one of the others whoever they are' right now.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Worthing Results

Broadwater
CON 754 UKIP 691 LAB 288 LIB 272 GREEN 202

Castle
CON 702 UKIP 653 LIB 414 LAB 324 GREEN 88

Goring
CON 1435 UKIP 817 LAB 305 GREEN 217 LIB 186

Marine
CON 1114 UKIP 692 LAB 298 GREEN 264 LIB 189

Northbrook
CON 355 UKIP 328 LIB 169 LAB 86 GREEN 54

Salvington
CON 1011 UKIP 988 LAB 236 GREEN 181 LIB 173

Offington
CON 1240 UKIP 798 LIB 184 LAB 191 GREEN 164

Selden
CON 601 UKIP 526 LAB 354 LIB 298 GREEN 199

Gaisford
CON 874 UKIP 537 GREEN 317 LAB 312 LIB 300

Heene
CON 714 GREEN 507 UKIP 498 LAB 222 LIB 158

Durrington
UKIP 526 CON 494 LIB 345 LAB 152 GREEN 50

Tarring
LIB 713 UKIP 664 CON 470 LAB 218 GREEN 197

Central
GREEN 610 CON 601 UKIP 559 LAB 362 LIB 188

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
UKIP's policies are listed on their website,

yes, and theres nothing about this cuts you and others keeping claiming. Wiki's assertions are unatetsted (despite looking like they are referenced, theres nothing there). i believe it comes from a members remarks made sometime ago and been regurgitated as a party policy. if we were to do this to all parties they would have all manner of additional, unofficial policies which which to beat them. i find it odd how people continue to do this to UKIP, a party i dont support but increaingly find sympathy for as people opposed to them want to lie about them.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As I have said it was a very hard decision. I am embarrassed by my former association with the Tory Party and the way I felt politically and have gone through many tough thoughts in the past few years. Maybe it's partly I am not ready commit again but I take politics very seriously and see voting as a solemn, important and vital action and I am not willing to 'just vote for one of the others whoever they are' right now.

Fair enough. 65% of people did not vote. It's only a discussion.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
yes, and theres nothing about this cuts you and others keeping claiming. Wiki's assertions are unatetsted (despite looking like they are referenced, theres nothing there). i believe it comes from a members remarks made sometime ago and been regurgitated as a party policy. if we were to do this to all parties they would have all manner of additional, unofficial policies which which to beat them. i find it odd how people continue to do this to UKIP, a party i dont support but increaingly find sympathy for as people opposed to them want to lie about them.

I have removed the links I originally posted, it's not difficult to find them for yourself. If you really believe UKIP does not have a tax, environmental, defence, etc policies then fine.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"UKIP have 36% share of vote in NE Lincs. 8 seats but first place in terms of share".

Labour and Conservatives were bricking it when the ballot papers were being counted , in all the wards UKIP didn't win they came second and in one ward (Immingham) Labour only held on by 8 votes. UKIP now have eight seats on NELC. With 36% of the overall vote the parliamentary constituency of Great Grimsby could well become a target seat for UKIP in 2015.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So what have we learnt from yesterday's results.

Te LibDems are finished, and will be all but obliterated at the GE

Labour won't win an overall majority with this particular Milliband in charge. They really did make the wrong choice.

The one policy Party did well, took votes from all three major Parties but may only end up with a two or three seats at Westmister. It looks like they could hurt the Labour Party as much as The Tories.

The Tories are counting on the economy to continue to improve, but will probably move to the right to win back those that have defected to UKIP.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Labour and Conservatives were bricking it when the ballot papers were being counted , in all the wards UKIP didn't win they came second and in one ward (Immingham) Labour only held on by 8 votes. UKIP now have eight seats on NELC. With 36% of the overall vote the parliamentary constituency of Great Grimsby could well become a target seat for UKIP in 2015.

It is their best bet to target resources in a small handful of constituencies. Last election, I think they averaged between 3-4% of the vote across the board, so they would need to narrow down their options because the swing required is so large. I think it was Buckingham where they got their highest share last time (about 18%)-the seat Farage contested.

The European vote cannot really be used as barometer, although it is clear they are gaining support. People may not be so confident voting for them in a 'first past the post' scenario.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here