Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early 1970s colour photos of the Albion...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
David Rose Sports in Dyke Road?

Got mine for my ninth birthday in 1978 there - £22.00 for shirt, shorts and socks. And a £6.00 pair of Gola boots.

Funny how some things stick with you, isn't it?

Not sure where I bought it to be honest. I do know that the quality of the shirts has improved greatly since then.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
David Rose Sports in Dyke Road?

Got mine for my ninth birthday in 1978 there - £22.00 for shirt, shorts and socks. And a £6.00 pair of Gola boots.

Funny how some things stick with you, isn't it?

It's a touching mental picture, Al :lolol:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
That photo appears in David Coleman's World of Football (published in about 1974) and as far as I can remember says its Willie Irvinie

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
The game v Aston Villa was shown as the main match on Match of the Day and the Brighton groundman used green paint to cover up the bare patches on the pitch, it was a great game with a packed house.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Got my first kit in about 1970 - Chelsea. Blue shirt with enbroidered club badge and the number 9 on the back, blue shorts and white socks.

Also got a Chelsea rosette with a picture of my hero Peter Osgood in the middle, and a metal Chelsea lapel badge.

I still have the lapel badge but the kit and rodette have long gone.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Got my first kit in about 1970 - Chelsea. Blue shirt with enbroidered club badge and the number 9 on the back, blue shorts and white socks.

Also got a Chelsea rosette with a picture of my hero Peter Osgood in the middle, and a metal Chelsea lapel badge.

I still have the lapel badge but the kit and rodette have long gone.

When did you switch allegiance to the Albion?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
just going back to barry bridges,he played in 3 fa cup semi finals,lost all of them,i think they were all played at villa park too
but he said the worst day of his career was playing for millwall and thinking they'ed just gained promotion to div 1 and he was being carried off the pitch by millwall fans only to find that they actually hadn't
the millwall fans just dropped him to the ground,maybe that's why he signed for us!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
just going back to barry bridges,he played in 3 fa cup semi finals,lost all of them,i think they were all played at villa park too
but he said the worst day of his career was playing for millwall and thinking they'ed just gained promotion to div 1 and he was being carried off the pitch by millwall fans only to find that they actually hadn't
the millwall fans just dropped him to the ground,maybe that's why he signed for us!

That's a great story. Little chance of lightning striking twice. We had little chance of promotion in either season that Bridges played for us :cries:

Attachments

• bridges_large.jpg
    bridges_large.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 13

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪

Could well be? We had the all white kit for 70/71. 69 /70 was the blue block with white sleeves. I think 71/72 was the season we returned to the stripes.

One thing I am sure of - Alan Duffy in that picture was a complete waste of space & one of the worst players to ever wear the stripes. He hit the ground running after his arrival from Newcastle, scoring on his debut. After that?.....Nothing. He went on a special diet of pies & doughnuts until he could barely see his feet, getting fatter by the week. He also bore a resemblance to George Best in looks, but there the similarity ended. His last action for Brighton was that famous Kit Napier Penalty incident. Napier was about to start his run when Duffy ran past him, struck the ball & watched it sail over the bar. I don't think he ever played for Brighton again, unsurprisingly.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I got my 1st 'stripes' from Clapshawe & Cleeve, virtually the same location as the old Albion shop in Queens Road (opposite current)

AS for the four players dropped, may need checking out but the 2 Napiers, Henderson & Turner were all shown the door at the end of the season and they had been virtual ever present. For the Villa game, Henderson was replaced by Bert Murrey and John Napier by Ian Goodwin. Not sure about Turner and Kit Napier did feature in the match, so I'm correcting myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here