Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ear Syringing

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
I've got a blocked ear and the doc has given me a weeks course of ear drops and I have to go to the nurse to have it syringed in a weeks time.

I've never had my ears syringed before and it doesn't sound too pleasant so what do I have to look forward to? Does it hurt or is it painless? What do they actually do? All I know is the feeling afterwards is supposed to be lovely?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a piece of piss to do yourself, if you buy a rubber squeedgie squirter.
Use the eardrops for a few days (Otex ?) to loosen up the wax, then a sink of warm water and a few firm squirts and **GLOB**...a huge hunk of wax will drop out, and you'll instantly have hearing like Spiderman.

Its GREAT :thumbsup:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I've got a blocked ear and the doc has given me a weeks course of ear drops and I have to go to the nurse to have it syringed in a weeks time.

I've never had my ears syringed before and it doesn't sound too pleasant so what do I have to look forward to? Does it hurt or is it painless? What do they actually do? All I know is the feeling afterwards is supposed to be lovely?

It's the most satisfying thing in the world. Doesn't hurt, feels a bit weird but well worth it. Just don't look in the cup you have to hold next to your ear afterwards. Everything sounds loud for about 20 mins afterwards.

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
they squirt something in your ear, i think its hot water, hold a try underneath your ear for all the wax to fall into then suck it all out.

Its mental, you can hear everything when its done, its quite a weird feeling though

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well, what they do is syringe your ears. what don't you understand?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Not painful, per se. It can feel a little uncomfortable. I am surprised you were given drops. Warms olive oil is what most audiologists will recommend.
I had blocked ears once, and tried all the drops from the chemists for £5 a 5ml bottle. Nothing worked. A few weeks later heard about the oliver oil, and it was cleared in a day or so.

Ear drops are a complete con. Just don't use chili favoured olive oil!!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
From Wiki:

Ear syringing techniques...advise pulling the external ear up and back, and aiming the nozzle of the syringe slightly upwards and backwards so that the water flows as a cascade along the roof of the canal. The irrigation solution flows out of the canal along its floor, taking wax and debris with it. The solution used to irrigate the ear canal is usually warm water, normal saline, sodium bicarbonate solution, or a solution of water and vinegar to help prevent secondary infection.

Patients generally prefer the irrigation solution to be warmed to body temperature, as dizziness is a common side effect of syringing with fluids that are colder or warmer than body temperature.

A syringe should be used to gently stream water into the ear. For children the rate and speed should be lower. After irrigating, the head is tipped to allow the water to drain. Irrigation may need to be repeated several times. If the water stream hurts, then the flow should be slower. It is better to irrigate too gently for a long period than irrigate too forcefully attempting to remove wax quickly. This procedure can be done at home in the shower using a self-use ear irrigation syringe with a right angle tip. After the wax is removed, the ear can be dried by tipping the head and gently pulling the ear upwards to straighten the ear canal.

Hope it goes well fella.:smile:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's the most satisfying thing in the world. Doesn't hurt, feels a bit weird but well worth it. Just don't look in the cup you have to hold next to your ear afterwards. Everything sounds loud for about 20 mins afterwards.
On the other hand, I've had this done loads of times down the years and these days I find it really horrible. I nearly fainted last time.

Playing On The Grit

Apr 2, 2008
Well, what they do is syringe your ears. what don't you understand?

I understand what syringing is but I didn't know if they put something in there first and then suck it all out or just suck everything out anyway. Is it a normal syringe or a pain enhancing contraption?!

I knew somewhere between the abuse, insults and horror stories the good folk of NSC would have the truth somewhere!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's beautiful. I even bought myself one of those DIY syringes in the States, although sadly I've yet not produced anything more substantial than water yet.

A mate of mine's dad had his ears done; he was a builder but still couldn't believe just how much SAND came out.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I love having it done :lolol:

When I lived in the uk the nurse I went to had an electric thing that squirted water in my ear, very gentle, and out it came.

Here in Ireland, I use earex for about three days, I go to the Doctors who comes out with a great big syringe that looks like a cake icer and with one huge squirt out comes a plug about half an inch long.

They're always impressed with the size of mine.

Playing On The Grit

Apr 2, 2008
In hindsight I've probably wasted my money paying for drops when I could have used warm olive oil. I had been using Earex with no joy so hopefully these sodium bicarbonate ones will do the trick.

I'm looking forward to the sensation when it is all clear.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I had blocked ears once, and tried all the drops from the chemists for £5 a 5ml bottle. Nothing worked. A few weeks later heard about the oliver oil, and it was cleared in a day or so.

They are a massive rip off. I am surprise Ofwhat? haven't got involved.

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009

Surprised nobodys selling olive oil at a fiver for a 5ml bottle. Under a fancy name, of course.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My GPs surgery don't do syringing, stating it can be dangerous. They use a vacuum device now, which I have to say is quite unpleasant. I used to enjoy the syringe way.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Absolutely true. Many years ago I worked in a computer room that like all Computer rooms at that time had a lot of paper dust. I found that I was going deaf and it was rather uncomfortable. I had my ears syringed and it was not painful but a huge relief after it was done. The only bad thing was seeing just how much muck and wax had come out, I was a bit shocked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here