Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] E Scooters

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Personally, I think any form of transport should require insurance. This should result in safer vehicles and better standards of driving/cycling/scootering.

I agree, and some form of test . . .we were never allowed to cycle to school until we had passed our cycling proificiency test, motorcycle and rad and race car license tests followed. . . .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In certain circumstances, they are legal to ride on the road. The e-scooter must be a rental, the rider must have a driver's licence (provisional or full). Without those, they can only be ridden on private land with the landowners permission. Rules were changed at the beginning of July. However, as with breaches of covid rules, the Police aren't 'policing' this.

Impossible to tell whether they are being driven/ridden( ? ) legally unless they are stopped, and that simply isn't going to happen. The police are barely able to enforce token numbers of Covid rulebreakers as it is.. thank goodness for Johnson's 20,000 extra police... to make up for all the police lost under the Tories !

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This is the correct answer.

I have a pedal assist bike that cuts out at 15 mph, however I have had it at 25mph several times, normally downhill:lolol:

I've hit 40 mph on my ebike on the hill down into Saltdean (pedal assist to 15mph then let gravity do the rest) and yes, I did shit my pants.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Got the doris one for her birthday earlier this year. She pootles about on it when she's popping somewhere local or going to see her mum, its quite nippy.

One drunken night at about 1am I walked past it in the hallway, and decided to have a little whirl on it around the close. In the rain. This was a poor decision on my part. I did a couple of laps of the close, zipping around on the path, on the road, then got over-confident and proper pulled the accelerator trigger whilst doing a turn - lost control and completely stacked it in the middle of the street, fell flat on my back, bashed me noggin and took the skin off my forearm up to the elbow. I remember laying there flat on my back staring up at the sky for a while, a bit stunned.

Eventually I gathered up the scooter and limped back indoors. Fortunately I don't THINK anyone saw the incident, but that was the last time I've been on it. Not for me, Clive.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
They are bloody amazing. I often see a fella commuting I guess on one. I got a chance to check his speed by driving alongside and I reckon it was a steady 27mph. Lights on it and all. He wears a full face helmet wisely.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Ferkin EVERYWHERE up here in London.. Mostly late teens with no front lights and dark clothing, but also young teens (2 up..) and even a Julian Fawcett MP look-a-like (with slacks..)

D

Deleted member 2719

Just when you want to rid the roads and pavements of potholes.................you change your mind.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone ever tried the Pure Air Pro? Or know anyone who has? I particularly want to know what they're like for getting up steep hills.

They are a British company and their models are fully waterproof, so you can commute in all weathers on them, and are covered on the warranty for water ingress damage.

Also, any regular users of an electric scooter had any dealings with the police whilst using it? Seems that unless you're being an idiot on one, or you go through an organised spot check area, they're unlikely to stop you as it's likely they'll be legal for road use within the next year or two anyway.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There are lying aroud on street corners here. I think you just need a smart phone and an App to rent them. No idea of the rental cost, or how long it will be before they have been nicked and re-wired for free use, or just smashed.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Not against them - if used sensibly - but not for me really. Seen a few lads going at crazy speeds past our place in Saltdean & its scary. My mate is a paramedic & told me he is attending more and more incidents involving e-scooters, and some of the injuries hes treated are pretty horrific - mostly due to people not wearing helmets. I hit some pretty high speeds on my bike sometimes, but I wouldn't like to try it on one of those things at all.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As a died in the wool Lambretta rider of 34 years, I wouldn't go over running speed on one, wheels are too small! we thought they weree great in Paris for getting about. I can see the appeal in BRighton, but they need to close the roads to cars

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not against them - if used sensibly - but not for me really. Seen a few lads going at crazy speeds past our place in Saltdean & its scary. My mate is a paramedic & told me he is attending more and more incidents involving e-scooters, and some of the injuries hes treated are pretty horrific - mostly due to people not wearing helmets. I hit some pretty high speeds on my bike sometimes, but I wouldn't like to try it on one of those things at all.

I wouldn't want to go 30mph on one, that's for sure. 15.5mph limit seems ideal, safety wise, but then that opens up other safety concerns when using on the road as I can imagine impatient drivers being an issue. Just as they are with regards to cyclists.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As a died in the wool Lambretta rider of 34 years, I wouldn't go over running speed on one, wheels are too small! we thought they weree great in Paris for getting about. I can see the appeal in BRighton, but they need to close the roads to cars

The model I mentioned has 10 inch pneumatic tyres, which apparently helps with stability and traction, but I totally agree. I would definitely not want to be riding at 30mph on 10 inch wheels!

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Also, any regular users of an electric scooter had any dealings with the police whilst using it? Seems that unless you're being an idiot on one, or you go through an organised spot check area, they're unlikely to stop you as it's likely they'll be legal for road use within the next year or two anyway.

Back in the olden days when one commuted, I saw the police stopping scootists several times in London - a couple of spot checks but also just random pulls.

I also saw a woman fly arse over tit on London Bridge in moving traffic at about 20mph (I was riding just behind her in the next lane on my clown bike). Luckily unhurt, but a closely following vehicle would have done for her.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The model I mentioned has 10 inch pneumatic tyres, which apparently helps with stability and traction, but I totally agree. I would definitely not want to be riding at 30mph on 10 inch wheels!

Oh I don't know, my Lambrettas quite happily cruise along at 60, 75-80 on a good day.

proper tyres and suspension though.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Back in the olden days when one commuted, I saw the police stopping scootists several times in London - a couple of spot checks but also just random pulls.

I also saw a woman fly arse over tit on London Bridge in moving traffic at about 20mph (I was riding just behind her in the next lane on my clown bike). Luckily unhurt, but a closely following vehicle would have done for her.

Back in the olden days Plod would stop scooterboys for fun. nothing would get in the way of finding something to give you a ticket for.

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
I did have a plan to start the first e-scooter rental in Brighton. Then it was made illegal. In time it will be permitted and there will be 100's of scooters all over town. You think cyclists are bad enough, wait until a scooter shoots through red lights.

As they are illegal why are firms allowed to sell them?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have read that owners have been able to work on the engine to raise their speed to near 40mph

and then they catch fire

my lads bought a mobility scooter some years ago, he and the kids in our street had a right laugh on it . . . the guy we got it from said they doubled the batteries and voltage on one, got it up to 25-30mph . . . then it went woof!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here