Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] DYSLEXIA - NEURODIVERSITY

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
my daughter is dyslexic , we thought she could read at 2 yrs old but turned out she had memorised her 3 favourite books , when she went to nursery school they informed us she actually couldn't read and a few tests revealed dyslexia , she still has otherworldly cognitive and memory powers and has recently finished her nursing degree.
Finishing her nursing degree is massive mate, congratulations to her, I bet your proud.
That was very productive for the school to actually action that as I know many that prefer to turn a blind eye to the A graders.
She has a load of skill that will be suitable in nursing, but I hope they can take away the admin or delegate the admin to use her full skills to the max.👍

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Same here -Law Degree and could speak fluent French but got Unclassified in O level maths, ended up with the lowest grade of ‘CSE‘ when eventually retaken - got thrown out of the pub dart team in my early 20s as I kept making mistakes chalking up or simply kept everyone waiting endlessly while I tried to work out the score. Always use to say I had dyslexia but with numbers ( which was treated as a bit of a joke) - never even knew it was a thing until now with its own name -( it’s worse when I have very bad fatigue and brain fog from chronic health conditions)
I get the way how you say it worse when fatigued, that's where the suspicious ones on here are unable to understand how the brain works and accuses me of faking it, I am just very inconsistent in all parts of admin. One moment I can look typical the next I can look almost illiterate.
Not sure I put that in the best way!

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Do you also joke about other disabilities?
if I told you I had a brain injury which effected my spelling, because I was saving an old lady from a mugging would you still joke?
Grow up.

Another difficulty I'm thinking you or others would face is that any spellcheck or dictate wouldn't necessarily help in the definition and use of words, there being many intricacies in the English language?

Such as your and you're, there or their or effected and affected.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Another difficulty I'm thinking you or others would face is that any spellcheck or dictate wouldn't necessarily help in the definition and use of words, there being many intricacies in the English language?

Such as your and you're, there or their or effected and affected.
You're right. I make all of those and more the consistency is all over the shop due to my lack of focus my ADHD. I sometimes might say wait I am coming to pick you up (within a text) and another day I could accidentally say weight I am coming......... I know the spelling but I switch off for a split second and pick the wrong one.

I have also got to the point of caring less now in unimportant messages, if it's roughly wright I don't care.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
my daughter is dyslexic , we thought she could read at 2 yrs old but turned out she had memorised her 3 favourite books , when she went to nursery school they informed us she actually couldn't read and a few tests revealed dyslexia , she still has otherworldly cognitive and memory powers and has recently finished her nursing degree.
My daughter has dyslexia and is a paediatric nurse at Great Ormond Street. She addressed her dyslexia with hard work, bloody mindedness, stubbornness and a desire to be the best.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can I ask while you feel you are slightly dyslexic? I know it sometimes hard to speak out about it, so pm if you like.
I struggled at school. Words used to merge on the page, Not as bad as some, but I learnt to read slower and not to 'guess'. Also my handwriting and spelling were atrocious. At primary school I used to have to stay in at breaktimes to practice, but I never really mastered writing to the extent that when I took my 'O' levels I was told NOT to attempt joined-up writing but to block print the words as my scrawl would be illegible to the examiner.

When my son exhibited similar symptons there was way more support. When I was at primary school in the 60s nobody had heard of dyslexia, I was just the clumsy child (I'm dyspraxic as well) who had difficulty writing, couldn't tie a tie or his shoelaces, but strangely seemed quite bright. (This seemed such a conundrum that I was sent to see an educational psychologist).

You won't be surprised to learn that, like a lot of others here, I'm also slightly autistic. It's not something I hide behind though, as I know that there are several posters on here who have autistic children and find life a constant challenge. I'm pretty sure my parents experiences with me were nothing like theirs.

To (over)compensate for my earlier childhood struggles with spelling I have become a complete and utter spelling and grammar Nazi.

EDIT: Just on the handwriting I was a teenager before I settled on being right-handed as that was marginally better. At primary school I used to switch between left and right handed - I was equally bad with both!

Last edited:

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
My daughter has dyslexia and is a paediatric nurse at Great Ormond Street. She addressed her dyslexia with hard work, bloody mindedness, stubbornness and a desire to be the best.
Brilliant, I give to great ormond street often they are an amazing hospital, and I have a special connection to them.I bet you're proud.👍
I know of her persistence as many dyslexic have it in spades because they have had to or they get brushed away as fools by those that feel they are superior due to there grammar.
I could have sunk many a time but people who keep pushing my head down, don't realise I am unsinkable because of my dyslexia.
There is every chance you or your daughters mum is dyslexic too, it shouldn't be hard to tell.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
I struggled at school. Words used to merge on the page, Not as bad as some, but I learnt to read slower and not to 'guess'. Also my handwriting and spelling were atrocious. At primary school I used to have to stay in at breaktimes to practice, but I never really mastered writing to the extent that when I took my 'O' levels I was told NOT to attempt joined-up writing but to block print the words as my scrawl would be illegible to the examiner.

When my son exhibited similar symptons there was way more support. When I was at primary school in the 60s nobody had heard of dyslexia, I was just the clumsy child (I'm dyspraxic as well) who had difficulty writing, couldn't tie a tie or his shoelaces, but strangely seemed quite bright. (This seemed such a conundrum that I was sent to see an educational psychologist).

You won't be surprised to learn that, like a lot of others here, I'm also slightly autistic. It's not something I hide behind though, as I know that there are several posters on here who have autistic children and find life a constant challenge. I'm pretty sure my parents experiences with me were nothing like theirs.

To (over)compensate for my earlier childhood struggles with spelling I have become a complete and utter spelling and grammar Nazi.
Thanks for sharing, many of what you said is similar to my days, I did question when I moved up to high school why was I with people I never really thought was on the same intellectual level. It was clearly my dyslexia and ADHD that the teachers could not work out, because of this they branded me as lazy, I was far from it.
So my parents keep saying I was not trying hard enough to..........no one but no one would listen.

I have tried with my grammar but it just doesn't excite me enough, I use my communication skill in person as it will mask my dyslexia, but the ADHD does often go into overdrive, some see it as motivational and excited, some will see it as slow up matey!
I have exceeded and achieved far more than the teachers from school could ever have predicted, but with ADHD, I am always looking for that bit more!
I take my hate off to your dedication to grammar 👍 its probably the only thing I can say I admit to defeat on!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Same here -Law Degree and could speak fluent French but got Unclassified in O level maths, ended up with the lowest grade of ‘CSE‘ when eventually retaken - got thrown out of the pub dart team in my early 20s as I kept making mistakes chalking up or simply kept everyone waiting endlessly while I tried to work out the score. Always use to say I had dyslexia but with numbers ( which was treated as a bit of a joke) - never even knew it was a thing until now with its own name -( it’s worse when I have very bad fatigue and brain fog from chronic health conditions)
I don’t have any chronic health conditions but i’m exactly the same as you when it comes to numbers, could never get involved in darts or work behind the bar at the cricket club, i was terrified of the getting the change wrong , so is this a condition then? I failed Maths CSE yet got a B in English Lang & Lit O Level???

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Yep my son is Dyslexic and only last week graduated from Leeds University with a 2:1
Well done that man, both my nephews have dyslexia and passed uni also not sure of the grading system my brother said they got top grades, but knowing him they could have had bottom grades!
Did you have to give him extra tuition at home or privately?
My sister in law spent many hours as she didn't work full time helping them.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
Please can you explain how this effects you in an everyday situation?
I don't know much about dyspraxia.
I think it use to be referred to as Clumsy Child Syndrome.

I am very clumsy, always knocking things over, dropping things, walking in to things/people, my balance and muscle tone are poor, I'm always falling over and I am unable to stand for any length of time without leaning on something . I can't ride a bike and have trouble doing up shoelaces. I have poor eye hand coordination, so can't dance, hop, run or catch a ball. I have difficulty pronouncing certain words and have the inability to tell my right from my left. I no sense of direction, find following maps difficult and frequently get lost. Holding a pen and writing is difficult, I was always the last one at school to copy off the board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here