• Other (please name)

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Which one do you prefer?

For me, its definately Dylan Moran, comedy genius.

At the Dome Thursday 13th - s'gonna be dope.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dylan Thomas

E

enigma

Woody the Seagull said:
precisely!!!

Neighbours is a quality show. When you watch Neighbours every day, you know you're doing f*** all

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Exmouth Seagull said:
Bob Dylan - Boring,overated,nasal.

Bob Dylan - Boring,overated,nasal,old,inconsistent,stroppy.......................................................................... and a fecking legend.......................... probably the greatest poet of the 20th century and the single person responsible for inventing rock music .................IMHO!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:
Neighbours is a quality show. When you watch Neighbours every day, you know you're doing f*** all

We can already guess your doing bugger all all day.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just love this verse but I haven't got a clue what he's on about , call Dylan what you like but boring ? :nono: can't see that myself even if you hate his music and lyrics. Now if you said rap was boring .....

Well, Shakespeare, he's in the alley
With his pointed shoes and his bells,
Speaking to some French girl,
Who says she knows me well.
And I would send a message
To find out if she's talked,
But the post office has been stolen
And the mailbox is locked.

E

enigma

looney said:
We can already guess your doing bugger all all day.
:yawn:

YOU'RE NOT YOUR

How many times.....

Last edited by a moderator:

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
bob dylan is quality but you cannot say he started rock music. when he admitted himself that all he did was idolise and virtually copy woody guthrie's style. woody guthrie is the talent behind bob dylans music and thoughts, the only differance is guthries music would have been banned from any public playing back in the 50's. even dylan was slated and hated in his time by the general public, but things were slightly more acceptable then.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
graz126 said:
bob dylan is quality but you cannot say he started rock music. when he admitted himself that all he did was idolise and virtually copy woody guthrie's style. woody guthrie is the talent behind bob dylans music and thoughts, the only differance is guthries music would have been banned from any public playing back in the 50's. even dylan was slated and hated in his time by the general public, but things were slightly more acceptable then.

Sure Dylan took early inspiration from Woody and even copied his singing style, but he also took loads of inspiration from others: Leadbelly, Blind lemon Jefferson and even Buddy Holly. He also began by playing and listening to Country and Western. And whereas Alan Freed, Chuck Berry and Bill Haley may have launched Rock n Roll in the mid 1950s, the only real electric music in the 1960s was from beat combos such as the Beatles.

What Dylan did at Newport in 1965 was plug in his folk/C&W root music, grab a telecaster and crank up the amps. At that moment IMHO he invented what we all know to be rock music - many such as Clapton, Van Morrison, John Lennon, Elvis Costello recognise. this.

I may be biased cos I love the guy, but I believe he is the single most influential musician of the past 50 years and the greatest living poet of te 20th century.

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Icy Gull said:
Just love this verse but I haven't got a clue what he's on about , call Dylan what you like but boring ? :nono: can't see that myself even if you hate his music and lyrics. Now if you said rap was boring .....

Well, Shakespeare, he's in the alley
With his pointed shoes and his bells,
Speaking to some French girl,
Who says she knows me well.
And I would send a message
To find out if she's talked,
But the post office has been stolen
And the mailbox is locked.

Loved this analysis:

Stuck Inside of Mobile is brilliant...
Because of the 9 different ways he finds to sing "Oh, Mama, can this really be the end?" - with a perfect mix of incredulity, outrage and exasperation each time.

Because, though he meets with futility & dead ends & vicious circles & reversals of expectation, behavior, cliches, and language in verse after verse - he makes it all seem funny and takes such delight in the overall oddness of things.

Because he rhymes "honky-tonk lagoon" with "Panamanian moon."

Because his voice is distilled essence of "thin wild mercury" Blonde on Blonde music.

Because the music is perfect - an echo of calliope rhythms on the verse (round and round and round and....) followed by that great crashing descending line on the chorus - round and stuck, round and stuck - this is either maddening or amusing, depending on your point of view, I guess....

Because of the sublimity of the four lines that end it: "And here I sit so patiently / Waiting to find out what price / You have to pay to get out of / Going through all these things twice" - a recognition (you do pay) and a yearning (how to clear the books? how to stop racking up new debt?) that Bob's been exploring for 40 years - this verse gets very close to the heart of things in Bob's moral universe.

Because of the way he sings "and I have no sense of time" - it's been funny up till now, and suddenly it's not so funny anymore....

Because of a hundred other things, I'm sure, but I can't recall them all....

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
I was never that fussed with Bob Dylan, until I was dragged to see him perform in Sheffield a few years ago, after which, I came round to his work

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stinky Kat said:
Dylan = a poor mans Billy Bragg

BBC 4 tonight at 2030 - see Billy Bragg as one of 10 in a tribute concert to Dylan. Will Bob be playing a Billy Bragg song ?:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here