Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dwain Chambers

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What do people think about his attempt to run in the Olympics?

Is it a case of fair's fair, he's served his time, and should be allowed to take part - or would his participation be an insult to the integrity of the event?

As I understand it he's trying to overturn the rule that says if you have a drugs ban you can't compete - but increasingly I can't see why any body like the BOA bothers to have rules. If someone doesn't like it, they challenge it and if they have a good enough lawyer, they'll probably win.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He should never be allowed to pull on a pair of trainers again.

Ever.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
You can't blame the guy now as he has served his punishment.The whole thing on drug taking needs to be addressed probably from the governing body.They should make it a life ban in any sports but it's a very grey area

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gladiators would appear to be his natural next home. They could do with a pantomime villain.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You can't blame the guy now as he has served his punishment.

For the British team he has. But the Olympics impose a lifetime ban on drugs cheats, and they are absolutely right to do so. Thems the rules, and nobody has a right to try and change them.

Chambers is a disgrace and an embarrassment to this country. I don't want to see him in ANY sporting arena representing us.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I thought that only the British Olympic Association banned drugs cheats for life?Isn't Chambers beef that if he was any other nationality he'd be allowed to compete in the Olympics again? This would better be resolved by banning drugs from the Olympics for all nations.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
For the British team he has. But the Olympics impose a lifetime ban on drugs cheats, and they are absolutely right to do so. Thems the rules, and nobody has a right to try and change them.

Chambers is a disgrace and an embarrassment to this country. I don't want to see him in ANY sporting arena representing us.

I totally agree with you, but the bottom line is he has served his sentence.You cannot get away from that fact and he has the right now to represent us in the Olympics even know it leaves a nasty taste in our mouths.

I thought that only the British Olympic Association banned drugs cheats for life?Isn't Chambers beef that if he was any other nationality he'd be allowed to compete in the Olympics again? This would better be resolved by banning drugs from the Olympics for all nations.

Yes that's right. That is why Gatlin is appealing his sentence currently; if he gets it successfully reduced he will be able to run at the Olympics.

I agree with what algie said; given the current legislation, I don't blame him for trying to compete. There should simply be a blanket life ban from athletics from any player from any nation caught taking drugs. Simple as.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

The ICC would change the rules, why shoudn't the IOC

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I totally agree with you, but the bottom line is he has served his sentence.You cannot get away from that fact and he has the right now to represent us in the Olympics even know it leaves a nasty taste in our mouths.

No, he doesn't have the right. He's trying to 'create' the right. The BOA, who send our team, have a by-law that anyone convicted of a drugs offence cannot compete in the Games. Chambers has decided he's not too keen on that law, and is trying to overturn it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

He knew full well that this lifetime ban rule was in place when he decided - DECIDED - to take performance-enhancing drugs to cheat his way to some medals.

f*** him. He has NO rights whatsoever to have that law overturned for his own benefit.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
...but look at 100m runners, veins popping out, unbelieveble conditioning, clearly everyone's at it, so a lifetime ban is ridiculous, he's served his time let him back in the team.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Its a very awkward area-for instance medical research has still not ascertained what is a "natural" amount of Nandrolone to have in the body. Edgar Davids and Shoib Akhtar both were banned for this. Shoib's ban being overturned.

THG is obviously slightly different but with the whole diatary supplements excuse it is hard.

The biigest problem is to get all the relevant sporting bodies singing from the same hymn sheet which they arent at the moment.

You can't blame the guy now as he has served his punishment.The whole thing on drug taking needs to be addressed probably from the governing body.They should make it a life ban in any sports but it's a very grey area

I don't believe you can ever serve your time, when taking performance improving drugs, they have helped him to build up his present strength and speed.

To stop the cheats it must be a life time ban!

Otherwise they will cheat until they are caught, serve a ban, then start all over a time.

It cannot be hard to write a contract,

to participate in IOC events, you must be clear of "drugs", if caught, you are banned for life and all earnings obtained from IOC etc will be repaid.

If you don't sign the contract you cannot enter into the events.

Job done.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Yes he has the right according to the current rules. Howeverm the rules are wrong. If someone has taken performing enhancing drugs they have altered their body permanently from that point on and can never again compete on an equal basis with someone who has never taken anything.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
If someone has taken performing enhancing drugs they have altered their body permanently from that point on and can never again compete on an equal basis with someone who has never taken anything.

Really? I'm no expert on drugs but I would've have said that the fact someone was taking 'roids a few years ago wouldn't make any difference at all now? That is obviously assuming they have been clean the whole time

Really? I'm no expert on drugs but I would've have said that the fact someone was taking 'roids a few years ago wouldn't make any difference at all now? That is obviously assuming they have been clean the whole time

So the fact they have built there body up, increased muscle size, increased speed, increased stamina, decreased pain thresholds, won't effect long term performance?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here