Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] DVLA Clamping

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Most people would ask, if borrowing a car, whether it was legal for them to drive it, in terms of it being taxed/insured but would they ask if the TV is licensed before watching it ? I never have.

Are you liable then, if you watch TV on an unlicensed TV, that isn't any of your responsibility!?

If so, I never knew that. So if 100 people are sat in a pub, watching the football, (its an FA Cup game on the BBC) and the landlord has no TV license - they are all at fault??

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Actually it IS an excuse, insofar as it can be used as mitigation if it can be shown that the defendant was unaware and that the lack of awareness is reasonable ("the man on the clapham omnibus" test) and not negligent or reckless.
Most people would ask, if borrowing a car, whether it was legal for them to drive it, in terms of it being taxed/insured but would they ask if the TV is licensed before watching it ? I never have.

Just to clarify, are you saying that if you are at a friends house, say babysitting and watching TV, and they knock on the door, you get done and not the householder?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Are you liable then, if you watch TV on an unlicensed TV, that isn't any of your responsibility!?

If so, I never knew that. So if 100 people are sat in a pub, watching the football, (its an FA Cup game on the BBC) and the landlord has no TV license - they are all at fault??

No, you would all get done for breaking lockdown. :)

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Just to clarify, are you saying that if you are at a friends house, say babysitting and watching TV, and they knock on the door, you get done and not the householder?

"Section 363 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they’re being shown on television without a TV Licence." (my emphasis)

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They don’t have a TV detector van for a start that’s all bullshit.

One of the biggest hoaxes after the spaghetti trees ! Utterly ridiculous idea that they can 'detect' you watching TV. It always makes me laugh when you're asked for your address when you buy a new TV - just the shops doing the TVL job. I've always given a fake address and name.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It always makes me laugh when you're asked for your address when you buy a new TV - just the shops doing the TVL job. I've always given a fake address and name.

That's a good idea.

Must be really handy when you need to invoke the warranty.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Technically, yes.

Yes. I have sat on cases where this has happened.

One of the biggest hoaxes after the spaghetti trees ! Utterly ridiculous idea that they can 'detect' you watching TV. It always makes me laugh when you're asked for your address when you buy a new TV - just the shops doing the TVL job. I've always given a fake address and name.

Technically you can detect if a TV is in use by looking for a signal from the local oscillator at 35mHz above the frequency on view.
The reality is that TVL knew the areas where there was a low rate of license purchases and they would take out a big advert in the local press saying "We can tell if you're watching TV". They would then drive round the local area, knock on a few doors and, Bob's yer uncle, a load of licenses got bought.
These days they simply send someone out with a list of unlicensed properties. Even if they can see you watching TV, you are under no obligation to give them any details and they have no right of entry.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Errr .... you don't need your address to take a TV back to a shop.

You're suggesting that I go through the hassle of humping a massive TV back to John Lewis, rather than just having them come out and sort it, just to avoid the AUTHORITIES knowing where I'm going to be sat watching it?

Instead you're going to buy one (using a credit card, registered to your home address) and tell them you are Noddy and live in ToyTown?

You crack on. I'll just be a grown up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here