Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DVD / CD's / Radio's at Work

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
are you allowed to have a Radio on at work? Ditto with CD's/DVD's?

One of the issues we have at our buildings is that they may be 5/6/7 floors but only a couple of people in the buildings!

We are allowed a radio( they listen to Virgin or capital) I tend to have a DVD/CD running in the background of my lap top or the iPod, just the sound on.

What about you guys

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Can have radio, usually listen to Radio 2 live or if it's too talky, FIP. Or just play music through other sites. Very chilled.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Nope, but then we quite often have clients visiting so it'sunderstandable I guess. I do sometimes stick my headphones on and listen to music myself though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Listen to podcasts on my iPod for most of the day.

Right now: TWiT (This Week in Tech) #134 - "Pave the Cow Paths". Leo Laporte has a very soothing voice.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I am currently listening to the Meat Puppets and wondering what to have in my lunchtime bagel!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
No radio in this room as theres too many people on the phone usually, so listen to net radio on the PC. As does half the company - net gets a bit slow at times...

Listening to the lunchtime news from back home on Highland right now.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
just listening to Black Sabbath, the last Supper on DVD.

Its a really good biography type thing

We aren't allowed to listen to anything here. A couple of people used to listen to mp3 players, until we got this (rather comical) email last week...

Subject: Please do not use MP3 players while working

Listening to music systems of any kind has now been discussed, and the conclusion is that staff should not to do it. We do not know the effect on concentration. I myself suspect that users are liable to assume that it does not affect their concentration simply because they enjoy doing it and want to continue doing it.

It also does not look professional.

Sorry, MP3 afficionados.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd like to play LOUD music when the accountants are in, in the hope it would distract them from pissing me off with all their questions asking me to prove figures. Other than that I hate music in the background when I'm working, apart from which it would clash with the music on hold, when on hands free waiting, that so many of the companies we deal with use. It would make it a cacophony of noise much like experienced in a street of bars in a tourist area of Spain.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
We aren't allowed to listen to anything here. A couple of people used to listen to mp3 players, until we got this (rather comical) email last week...

Subject: Please do not use MP3 players while working

Listening to music systems of any kind has now been discussed, and the conclusion is that staff should not to do it. We do not know the effect on concentration. I myself suspect that users are liable to assume that it does not affect their concentration simply because they enjoy doing it and want to continue doing it.

It also does not look professional.

Sorry, MP3 afficionados.

What requires such intent concentration, and what kind of little hitler HR department do you have?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
We don't but if we did I would listen to the Adam and joe podcasts as they are FUNNY as f***.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The alarm clock radio in the office only picked up Radio One, and as such now needs picking up from the pavement three storeys below.

I now boss the music in the studio and usually play an internet radio station - something like FIP or Ultragroove - despite some nerd in here making the point about us not having a licence to do so...

What requires such intent concentration, and what kind of little hitler HR department do you have?

Economic forecasting (or 'picking numbers at random and pretending theres some reason for them', as it should more honestly be called). Unfortunately, our 'company administrator' (that's admin manager to you and me) is also a director of the company, and the only private individual to hold shares in the company, so what he says goes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You removed a malignant tumour from my cranium cavity about two years ago.
I've been absolutely fine ever siasdfjioooooooooooooonsdaondonfsndaoinfnoosadnfsnsdnif;afaso;fnasdnio;fniosdsdafnoisdnid-000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here