Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dutch Elm Disease at Preston Park

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
It appears from the Meridian news that Dutch Elm Disease may be returning. two trees have been felled today to try and beat the disease at the earliest opputunity.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
When I was small my parents and I would go to Preston Park. Upon seeing the signs warning of Dutch Elm Disease I would worry that I would catch it.

Thank heavens for that. I'm now glad to find ot that I'm not alone!

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I saw a tree next to the A259 in Seaford today that has been felled due to D.E.D.:(

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
tommy boy said:
trust the dutch:rolleyes:

Its actually an asian fungal disease, according to a friend of mine who's a lumberjac... err, tree surgeon. He will come after you with a chainsaw if you start any Python routines :lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I hope they've stopped it in time (it's transferred via the roots according to BBC SouthEast today)
We lost loads and loads of elms in the 60's with it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
In Brighton's parks there are still elms,
the beauty of which overwhelms.
They stand up to the strongest breeze,
and shrug off Hollands vile disease.

Sorry!:drink:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I work in Preston park (i look after the rock garden opposite) and it's pretty sad to see those big Elms felled.

The operation to cut the roots has been going on for several weeks, digging through two of the bowling greens. But it has to be done to stop the spread,

This is the first tree we've lost in the park for about 4 years. The large elms around the perimeter are cornish elms and that's the first one i've seen felled to DED since i've been working there (6 years)

We have lost some of the English Elms and these are the biggies....there's a superb one by the tile house in the park and two at the entrance of the coronation garden at the northern end.

Just hope they caught it in time. The old elm will be replaced with another, probably in around 18 months time.

HTH

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here