Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dustbins/recycling and the law.

No.

Round our way, Lewes District Council has a weekly bin collection, and a fortnightly collection of recyclables.

It will probably stay that way as long as LDC contrive to make it impossible for some recyclable materials to be put in the fortnightly collection.

Personally I would prefer better recycling and a reduction in the quantities of rubbish that get put in the old-fashioned bin. Fortnightly collections would then work. But rural Lewes isn't the same as central Brighton. Out here, we should be encouraged to do domestic composting. But this isn't a practical (or even worthwhile) thing for multi-occupancy buildings in a city centre.

Weekly (wheely) bin collection by Horsham District Council too (always has been); fortnightly collections of paper, plastic/cans, cardboard (non-corrugated) and garden waste; glass recycling point(s) in every village, decent amenity tips nearby in Billingshurst and Horsham that will take just about anything else (eg motor oil, batteries, wood, rubble........). Council sells on composting bins for about a fiver so all our fruit and vegetable waste, egg boxes, goes in those with the grass cuttings and dead flowers/plants.

No visible marketing by the Albion though.:rant:

Oct 25, 2003
we have our rubbish collected weekly from the back of our house and our recycling collected fortnightly from the front of our house

both on a tuesday, at roughly the same time, but by different people

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'd love to see the day that Lambeth (or whoever they outsource it to) do something along the lines of other councils on recycling.

But seeing as my bin gets nicked on a regular basis and some idiot instructed the bin men to leave the bins right in-front of the front door a few weeks ago (so your front door banged into as you went out).. I somewhat doubt it.

One thing my council tax is worth the money for.. and I'd be interested what happens done in Sussex, is that if I need something taken away the council do it for nothing.

Fridge, bed, cooker, old sofa, mattress er.. absolutely anything at all.

I ring the council up and they simply come and collect it.

Is that something remarkable ?

I'd love to see the day that Lambeth (or whoever they outsource it to) do something along the lines of other councils on recycling.

But seeing as my bin gets nicked on a regular basis and some idiot instructed the bin men to leave the bins right in-front of the front door a few weeks ago (so your front door banged into as you went out).. I somewhat doubt it.

One thing my council tax is worth the money for.. and I'd be interested what happens done in Sussex, is that if I need something taken away the council do it for nothing.

Fridge, bed, cooker, old sofa, mattress er.. absolutely anything at all.

I ring the council up and they simply come and collect it.

Is that something remarkable ?

A small fee (quote) is payable for "special" collections in Horsham District; I think it's £15 but have never used the service.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A small fee (quote) is payable for "special" collections in Horsham District; I think it's £15 but have never used the service.

The way it works round here is that you ring up the council, they give you a day (usually that week) and you simply leave it outside the house. They will take anything.

Having said that, the locals are usually quite good at it too. We had this pretty grubby but working fan on a stand. We never used it, and only having a small flat it was getting in the way. Took it out the front for the council to remove, but it was gone within 30 minutes.

Here goes from hackney which I have to say is now excellent for recycling.

Weekly bin collection - how they do it is a bit weird but I won't go into details.

We have brown bins (or large paper bags) for garden waste - collected every two weeks.

We have blue bins for food waste - collected every week.

We have green boxes - that collect nearly everything: cardboard and plastic bottles need to be sorted separetely, then paper, batteries etc.

Collected weekly.

In addition we have the large recyling bins including cow colours to attract the kids and placed in schools and parks.

The high rise estates have their own dedicated service, including the Country's leading food waste collection.

We have subsidised wormeries, compost bins.

And a constant education programme events.

The Council promotes and gives grants for cloth nappies - to reduce ladfill (4% of land fill is nappies and the gel in them doesn't degrade)

The Council discourages plastic bags and have issued cloth bags to shops and holds events etc.

And the Team are very apprachable and realistic. They want to collectmore food waste but it appears "food waste" space is limited in London

No plastic waste is exported and we have been giving an audit trail as to where our waste is going.

Good service, unfortunately not enough people buy into it and some just use the bins as normal bins - leading to non collection and waste littering our streets.

But we are still far behind some of our Euro colleagues. Some German cities collect all street bin waste for recycling, with multi bins instead of the one large hole.

Hasn't Germany now banned plastic bottles!

Glass bottle recycling in Germany etc is encouraged by an Euro charge on the glass bottle, which you get back when you take your bottle back.

Free large waste collection and if you put something outside the locals often take it first, plus, Freecycling is also encouraged and used greatly.

Community groups can get the composted food waste back for free!

LC

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here