Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Durham / Chester-le-Street

Cannot believe I am asking this, but having just booked up the trains to get to a few days of the Durham v Sussex game, it dawned I know nothing about that bit of the North East.

Has anyone been up there for cricket or stayed in Chester-le-Street where the ground is, or Durham up the road?

Does not seem to be much in Chester-le-Street.

Thanks.

Yep. Saw back to back odi's between Zimbabwe v WI and England v WI a few years ago. Bloody freezing and stayed in a B&B in a village called No Place .... long story..... but the beer was good :thumbsup:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Cannot believe I am asking this, but having just booked up the trains to get to a few days of the Durham v Sussex game, it dawned I know nothing about that bit of the North East.

Has anyone been up there for cricket or stayed in Chester-le-Street where the ground is, or Durham up the road?

Thanks.

Try Multimap. It looks like it's only 400 yards or so from railway station to cricket ground.

North East Seagull

Jul 6, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
There is not that much to see or do in Chester-le-Street, it is only a small town. Durham is probably a better place to stay and is good for a drink. Newcastle isn't far, better choice of hotels, restaurants etc and is only 10 mins on the train from Chester-le-Street. I think Newcastle to Chester-le-Street was about £4 return when I went down to the test against West Indies. Fair walk from station to Riverside but not too bad on a nice day.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus

Thanks.

I went to a week long course in Durham a few years back. Fantastic place, lots of very good watering holes. Very cheap beer.

The Shakespeare is worth a visit just to see it. Must be one of the oldest pubs I've ever been in. Lots of tiny rooms.

The Market (on the old market square) is popular.

There's also some good new (but not as cheap) bars around the riverside.

Piece of trivia, Durham had the country's very first congestion charge. On a tiny bit of old road by the castle in the oldest part of the city. Just to discourage cars there.

Fork Me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here