Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk or El Abd?

Josimojo

Aug 4, 2011
Agreed, the whole point of having competition for a place is that if you perform well then you keep the shirt. El Abd will have to prove himself when he gets the chance, either through Dunk getting a suspension/injury (but touch wood).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Who'd be a Manager? :smile: What a great problem to have but it's difficult to see how you'd shift Dunk right now

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
Im happy to keep the back four as they are ATM.

Naturally El-Abd and Elphic will get their chance in the team through suspensions/ injuries. It's then up to them to consolidate their position in the starting XI.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I've been really impressed by Dunk and I can't see how Gus could justify leaving him out if this form continues.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When asked about this after Pompey on Seagulls Player, Gus was saying "it's up to Dunky, not the manager, not anyone else" or something like that anyway.

He'll let Dunk keep the shirt all the while he is playing like this, and rightly so. I reckon El Abd and Dunk will end up playing a similar number of games this season - around 25 each. Greer will play most of the time and Elphick will be a squad player and probably most difficult to keep happy.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think Dunk will keep the shirt until his inevitable suspension and then it will be up to Adam to keep it when he gets back in the side.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely the thread could be:-

wow Dunk AND El Abd.

Happy days for the Albion when 3 (arguably 4) centre backs can slot straight into position and nobody bats an eye.

That would put us on a par, or even above, Arsenal circa 1990, now that's getting ahead of yourself!

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Surely the thread could be:-

wow Dunk AND El Abd.

Happy days for the Albion when 3 (arguably 4) centre backs can slot straight into position and nobody bats an eye.

That would put us on a par, or even above, Arsenal circa 1990, now that's getting ahead of yourself!

The difference being that 3 of the 4 are home grown. Arsenal had to BUY their lot. (excluding Adams)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Greer is unlikely to play every single match. I'm excitied that at some point this season we will possibly have a championship quality centre-back pairing that are both products of our youth system in Dunk and El Abd.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
never changing a winning back four

This

He should keep the shirt IMO. Gives the wrong message if he performs well in the side and them just has to go back to the bench due to El-Abd being fit again. Dunk will get a suspension soon or later so that will be someone else's chance to get back in.

and that

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Dunk should keep it, I'm not certain that El-Abd can play consistently in the championship but Dunk has been keeping strikers quiet

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I'm not certain that El-Abd can play consistently in the championship
I'm not so sure. He's got 40+ Championship games under his belt already, albeit not all at his present position...

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Dunk at the moment: he has done nothing wrong so it would be unfair to drop him now. I am glad to see he seems to have given up on going for record number of yellow cards a season as well! :lolol:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Dunk is showing why he will play in the Prem one day for sure. El Abd first choice back up for me, we must remember a string of MOM performances last year, hope he comes back the same player.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
At the rate Dunk's going, he is going to get suspended by the end of the month anyway, let El Abd come back in then, and then it will be up to him to prove his worth over dunk.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
what a fantastic dilemma. genuine competition for places is very healthy for us. have to stick with winning back 4. However there r games coming up thick and fast league, cup so more than enough games for all to steak their claim for the shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here