Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk In For The Next 2?

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
What do you think?

Will Gus take a punt on his highly rated youngster for the next two games, or has Tommy proven enough in the FA Cup and his league cameos to seal his place in the back line?

I am a big fan of Tommy Elphick but wonder if Gus might like a throw of the dice on this one. He himself has spoken VERY highly of Dunk... So he might be feeling lucky.

Last edited:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Would be very VERY harsh for Elphick not to play.

Has it been confirmed El-abd was actually booked as there was some doubt last night?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No chance, will be Elphick

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
You have to use Firefox as a browser to copy and paste from the official site, for some reason IE doesn't let you.

I have no doubts Elphick will be up to the job and almost pleased he's getting a chance to show his worth again

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'd be more than happy if Tommy came in and played so well that El-Abd then had to bide his time on the subs bench.

Would mean we have an immense defence.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think you're right. I suppose it won't hurt Dunk's development as a first team member of the squad to catch some bench time.

Dunk will get his time, but I think Elphick has done well to be patient and not cause a fuss over his lack of time on the pitch. Must be hard to go from regular one season to bench warmer the next through no real fault of your own. I don't think Gus is going to be swayed by this sort of thing though and if he thinks Dunk is the better player he will have no hesitation in playing him ahead of Elphick.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Think it would be good for Dunk to get some benchtime & perhaps involvement if we're in control of games with 20-15 minutes to go.

Bigger question is can Elphick stake a claim to El Abds place in the team? As good as he's been if Tommy has two storming games it'd be unfair to drop him.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Think it would be good for Dunk to get some benchtime & perhaps involvement if we're in control of games with 20-15 minutes to go.

Bigger question is can Elphick stake a claim to El Abds place in the team? As good as he's been if Tommy has two storming games it'd be unfair to drop him.

I think this is the kind of unfair decision that Gus is prepared to make. He is staunch in his praise of El-Abd, despite most of us being happily amazed at his transformation from fringe liability to first-choice defensive titan! Unfair can mean professional in this case I think. He seems to like the job El-Abd does, for whatever reason some of us might not quite get, over Tommy's blood and thunder style.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I saw El Abd get yellow carded so it definitely happened!

I rather agree with the first poster, I think Dunk is probably the equal of Elphick defensively, already, and he's a better ball player, whereas Elphick tends to just thwunt it upfield aimlessly, as seen many times at Stoke.

That said, I believe Poyet will go with Elphick, for now. Experience counts at this stage.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Elphick has been on the bench ahead of Dunk. Dunk's time will undoubtably come -he's going to be a VERY good player - but for now it will certainly be Elf.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
I would pick Dunk to fill in, as i rate him highly, but i think it will almost certainly be Elphick

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
The defence has looked a bit shaky in the last two games, and probably more due to luck than skill that we only conceded 1 goal, so the change may not be a bad thing just to freshen things up. Agree it will be interesting to see that if we keep two clean sheets, if Tommy gets to keep the shirt or El-abd comes straight back.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Elf will refresh the back four , although this gives Dunky a chance of being on the bench for the next 2 games and he knows what's expected of him if he is needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here