Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk - direct free kick

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He’s taken some before. He did well to work the keeper

Definitely taken one or two before. As soon as he stepped up I knew the knuckle ball was coming.

Not the first time we've seen it.

I can recall two he's taken before.

He seems to try the David Luiz top-spin thing.

He did seem interested in taking the one that Gross scored from too. Glad he stepped aside on that one...

Albion 1 Blackburn Rovers 0

Exciting on-field developments seemed to have emerged from the Spanish mini-break, as, midway through the first half, a free kick was awarded, twenty five or so yards out from the Blackburn goal. Knockaert hovered, as, initially, did Stephens. So, however, did Lewis Dunk, a man not previously renowned for his dead ball wizardry. The crowd murmured, not- surely- in fizzing anticipation, but in sheer wonderment. The whistle blew…and Lewis lifted the ball over the sadly-Greer-free wall, straight into the arms of Jason Steele. Not hit with pace, nor with any spin or curve: it was hard to imagine what the intention had actually been. “Never mind though” we laughed to ourselves. “They won’t pull that stunt again”. Not so much a training ground routine, as a “hatched at 3am in a tapas bar after fifteen San Miguels” routine.

The second half started on much the same note. Rovers enjoyed a bit of possession, but without actually bothering to create any proper chances. Their main hope seemed to centre upon the admittedly wicked corners and set pieces delivered by Big Gordon’s compatriot, Charlie Mulgrew, which had Albion and David Stockdale scrambling more than once. Other than that, Tony Mowbray’s cunning plan of playing a team without any recognised strikers up front had the effect of making Blackburn look very much like a team without any recognised strikers up front. Odd, for a side battling relegation. Fortunately for them at least, they didn’t appear likely to concede many, not least when Lewis Dunk again found himself lining up another twenty five yard free kick. With the same, bizarrely ineffective, outcome.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Nice bit of dip that Pickford only parried ...shame it only then bounced of Trossards knee ...And didn’t break for Murray

CCFB6230-9CC6-44A4-9CA2-F70028965589.jpeg
432B075E-CE6E-408C-99BD-0C590594EDCC.jpeg
FF1AB17E-6CC1-40A1-9BD9-BAFDD003AE80.jpeg
73D8017F-388C-40F0-8A87-63BF46C8B0A8.jpeg

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I can only assume that the people who are besmirching Dunk’s free kick taking having never kicked a ball themselves. The technique required to get the ball up and down like that is very hard, all three that he’s struck have been down the keeper’s throat, if he directs one either side it’ll be borderline impossible to save.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
I'd imagine Trossard is a decent free kick taker, as he's a good crosser. I know Dunk has taken a few in the past, but was expecting Gross (considering he already scored from one in the first half) or Trossard to have a go.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd imagine Trossard is a decent free kick taker, as he's a good crosser. I know Dunk has taken a few in the past, but was expecting Gross (considering he already scored from one in the first half) or Trossard to have a go.

Might have been tricky for Gross to take it, given he wasn’t on the pitch

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Might have been tricky for Gross to take it, given he wasn’t on the pitch

As a point of interest would Murray have been permitted to take the penalty? I was surprised he was allowed to come on whilst the VAR review was going on. So if a penalty is given can a team then make a substitution after the penalty is given and let the sub take the penalty?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As a point of interest would Murray have been permitted to take the penalty? I was surprised he was allowed to come on whilst the VAR review was going on. So if a penalty is given can a team then make a substitution after the penalty is given and let the sub take the penalty?

I don’t see why not

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I can only assume that the people who are besmirching Dunk’s free kick taking having never kicked a ball themselves. The technique required to get the ball up and down like that is very hard, all three that he’s struck have been down the keeper’s throat, if he directs one either side it’ll be borderline impossible to save.
Dunky’s hitting them too well.

He’s using the old Bobby Charlton method of going for maximum power aimed at the centre of the goal - hoping that the shot will actually end up far enough away from the keeper to go in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here