Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duncan Fletcher's replacement...?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just as they were talking on BBC about whether Fletcher should go, and who would be a replacement, only one name sprang to mind. Just as it did, 3,000 miles in Barbados, Jonathan Agnew mentioned one name - the same name.

Step forward, for the time is nigh... PETER MOORES

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Come on, ECB - make it happen.

Stumpy Tim

Bob Woolmer was in the frame before the World Cup.... so thinking hats on.

I would give Moores the One Day job, and leave Fletcher in charge of the test team. Would be some good experience for Moores

Jul 20, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
Bob Woolmer was in the frame before the World Cup.... so thinking hats on.

I would give Moores the One Day job, and leave Fletcher in charge of the test team. Would be some good experience for Moores

possible

down side would be we'd probably lose Prior and Yardy for a lot of the season

up side Lancs would have Mahmood available and they might be foolish enough to play him

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I reckon we need a complete overhaul now a lot of the players have lost confidence and it will do them good to have a summer on the county circuit to take a few wickets and score some runs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
SussexSpur said:
Moody please.

According to various press reports, Moody's been appointed coach of Western Australia - although apparently nothing's been signed yet.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
It can only REALISTICALLY be Moody or Moores and if as stated above Moody may have signed elsewhere then...

Mind you, the Academy will probably steal Robbo of us as Moores replacement, step forward new Sussex player/coach, Mushtaq Ahmed...

:lol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Pevenseagull said:

down side would be we'd probably lose Prior and Yardy for a lot of the season

With Moores the favorite at the moment I fear the same, over the years Sussex players have been on the whole ignored by England which IMO was a very good thing for the County if not for the player, how things could change

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
England need Moores, says Fraser

Moores led Sussex to Championship glory in 2003
National Academy director Peter Moores has received a ringing endorsement from Angus Fraser to replace outgoing England coach Duncan Fletcher.
Former Sussex coach Moores is set to be named caretaker manager and is tipped to take over from Fletcher permanently.

Ex-England and Middlesex bowler, Fraser said: "We used to watch Sussex prepare enviously because Peter was in charge.

"They have become the dominant force in county cricket. A lot of that is down to structures Peter put in place."

Interview: ECB chairman David Morgan
Interview: Chairman of selectors David Graveney

Fraser, who made 46 Test appearances in a nine-year career for England, added: "He is a very good man to do the job."

England wicket-keeper Matt Prior has given his support to his former Sussex coach.

Prior said: "He would be brilliant.

"His personality, enthusiasm for the game, and his ability to motivate individuals make him stand out."

The BBC understands that England will confirm Moores's appointment as caretaker coach within the next 48 hours.

They plan to reveal their permanent coach after receiving the Schofield Report into the Ashes defeat and World Cup debacle early next month.

Moores, 44, coached Sussex to their first County Championship title in 2003 and took charge of the National Academy in 2005.

He has coached England A and worked with most of the current England team but has neither played nor managed a team at the highest level.

His main rivals for the job - Sri Lanka's Tom Moody, Bangladesh's Dav Whatmore and New Zealand's John Bracewell - have all done that.

Prior supports Moores to take over

However, wicket-keeper Prior said Moores' lack of international experience should not count against him.

"Look at what John Buchanan has achieved with Australia," he told BBC Five Live.

"It would be very easy to pin that on him but people should look at the positives he could bring to the England team."

Former England star Darren Gough also backed Moores' credentials but said former Australian international and Yorkshire captain Darren Lehmann would be his first choice.

"He has had no experience, correct, but he is a terrific communicator," said the current Yorkshire captain.

"He's just left the game, he's a good lad to be around, he knows every player in England inside-out because he played here the last eight or nine years and I think he would be ideal.

"If you were to go for an Englishman, which we'd all prefer deep down, Peter Moores has got terrific credentials."

New Zealand coach John Bracewell refused to rule out the possibility of applying for the England job if, as expected, it becomes available.

Bracewell, who was coach of Gloucestershire before taking the Kiwi job in July 2003, said: "I'll leave it until after this tournament is completed (to comment). I don't want anything to distract me or our team from the job in hand."

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Moores just merited a mention on Radio 1, so it must be serious. Agree with the comment about Sussex players being overlooked, we are the reigning cup and county champions, what more can you ask of players?

...if only we could sort out a British passport for Mushy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here