Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dumb question about cars

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I've just bought a car (automatic Jeep Cherokee) where the previous owner has set it so an alarm beeps every time I reach 120kmh. Is this 'cruise control'? Can I turn it off?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Yes - you can turn those things off, mine was set to beep at 30 mph! Probably need to read the manual though or search for it on line. (It isn't cruise control though - its a helpful thing for people who drive too fast!)

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I've just bought a car (automatic Jeep Cherokee) where the previous owner has set it so an alarm beeps every time I reach 120kmh. Is this 'cruise control'? Can I turn it off?

My Jeep does the same thing. I just crank up the stereo when hacking down Abu Dhabi to Dubai highway

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It isn't cruise control but has probably been set to remind the driver when they are likely to be entering speeding ticket territory on the motorway, maybe not a bad thing if you have a heavy right foot.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Thanks for the help. I've done some more research:
"All new vehicles from all manufacturers imported into the UAE are required by law to have a 120km/h speed alarm. The dumb thing is, once they've been imported, there are no further checks to see if the alarm works, ever! So, many people go and get it disabled. Some dealers will even offer to disable the alarm for you when you buy the car - Jeep dealers don't."

That's why every other ****er on the road is hurtling past me like a guided missile, yet if I creep over 74mph it's "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP".

Even the camels were overtaking me yesterday.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
It really doesn't bother me. Mine's like a theraputic sound. Could put someone to sleep. Our other motor just has a light that flashes - no alarm.

Dubai speed cameras are very sensitive so probably not a bad thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here