Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The fact is that if we're relying on Duffy as a CB this season, we've gone backeards. If he's covering for pretty extensive injuries amongst our first choice centre backs, then he's probably what we need. As long as Dunk and Webster get fit soon and Ostigard (perhaps) step up to fulfil expectations.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The Russians by quite a bit of margin did the most to win WW2

I was aware their casualties were enormous, but just found this on the internet - staggering.

Data show that the now-defunct Soviet Union had the highest number of WWII casualties. As many as 27 million people died. Broken down, this results in as many as 11.4 million military deaths, up to 10 million civilian deaths due to military activity, and an additional 8 million to 9 million deaths due to famine and disease. More than 14 million members of the Soviet Union's military were wounded due to the war. Within the USSR, Russia had the highest number of casualties, with 6,750,000 military deaths and 7,200,000 civilian deaths, totaling 13.95 million deaths. Ukraine has the second-highest casualties, with 1,650,000 military deaths and 5,200,000 civilian deaths, totaling 6,850,000 deaths.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I was aware their casualties were enormous, but just found this on the internet - staggering.

Data show that the now-defunct Soviet Union had the highest number of WWII casualties. As many as 27 million people died. Broken down, this results in as many as 11.4 million military deaths, up to 10 million civilian deaths due to military activity, and an additional 8 million to 9 million deaths due to famine and disease. More than 14 million members of the Soviet Union's military were wounded due to the war. Within the USSR, Russia had the highest number of casualties, with 6,750,000 military deaths and 7,200,000 civilian deaths, totaling 13.95 million deaths. Ukraine has the second-highest casualties, with 1,650,000 military deaths and 5,200,000 civilian deaths, totaling 6,850,000 deaths.

When living in Brussels, there was an England match, and the police had a bunch of English fans corralled outside an Irish pub. One of them was offended. From his accent, from Yorkshire, and shouted at the police..'who won the fooking war anyway'. A cop replied 'the red army'

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

The Russian winter was the real killer. Huge tactical mistake by the Nazis to fight so hard on two fronts, especially during a Russian winter. They should have taken their time, they’d have won.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Well, if we're being honest, it was the Soviet Union, and they probably made the biggest contribution, but the best phrase I've heard about WW2 is:
The Soviets served the men, the British the time, and the Americans* the money.

*Most of this was loaned. The US' economy grew at breakneck speed during the war -- the fastest sustained growth on record -- with 15% growth p.a. 1938-1945.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The Russian winter was the real killer. Huge tactical mistake by the Nazis to fight so hard on two fronts, especially during a Russian winter. They should have taken their time, they’d have won.
The Germans thought the war would be over after 6 months, so didn't prepare their troops with winter clothing. They managed to hold firm though and the 1942 campaign and the defeat at Stalingrad was the beginning of the end.
When the allies landed in France at D Day, the Germans were well in retreat on the Eastern Front. That just speeded up the ending of the war.

The USA was the main reason for the defeat of Japan though.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Well l think we already knew that he was a proud Irish Republican didn't we? As l understand it that's one of the reasons he decided to play for the Republic, rather than his native Northern Ireland.

All that matters to me though, when any player pulls on the stripes, is that they play well for the club. What their political views might be, or what they get up to in their private lives, is largely of no interest to me.

Each to their own.
I had history with republicans on a ‘professional’ basis in the late 70s.
I don’t want anything to do with anyone of that persuasion and find it offensive that he can be so disrespectful to the country (and city) where he earns his living.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I thought that Brighton were paying his wages - not British imperialist interests

They are. But they are not IRA sympathisers (unless you know otherwise).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Each to their own.
I had history with republicans on a ‘professional’ basis in the late 70s.
I don’t want anything to do with anyone of that persuasion and find it offensive that he can be so disrespectful to the country (and city) where he earns his living.

Still hating people over events 40 years ago. Move on, most other people have. :thumbsup:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Still hating people over events 40 years ago. Move on, most other people have. :thumbsup:

But not Duffy, obviously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Having served and lived with Royal Marines in the early to mid 80’s I’ve heard some of the stories about tours over the water. I can fully understand why he’s taken the stance that he has. I suspect a great many haven’t or can’t move on …..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

OK, so let's consider NSC's response if the Albion sign a player who openly supports Tommy Robinson (someone I'd genuinely never heard of until NSC featured him in some threads) and Brexit (the same thing as Tommy Robinson in some people's minds). Well yes, his personal beliefs and politics are his business - he's entitled to them - but hey, he's a 20 goal a seaon in the PL striker for the Albion ...................... I think I could safely predict some degree of meltdown. One way or the other! You choose!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here