Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy post Celtic loan

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Proper defender though and we struggled during the first half of last season aerially without him, especially as White was quite fragile in the air when challenged.

Shame he can’t play more with the ball at his feet.

Ben 'bone china bonce' White? The Leeds defender now at Arsenal? I don't think I've ever seen him head a ball, certainly let one waft over him on Friday

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It is. Yesterday suited his style of play and he made the most of it. Up against ball playing teams he’ll have problems. It’s a case of playing him in games to match his strengths rather than his weaknesses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Ben 'bone china bonce' White? The Leeds defender now at Arsenal? I don't think I've ever seen him head a ball, certainly let one waft over him on Friday

At least young Benjamin won’t end up a dribbling dementia case aged 62. Forward thinking from the wee laddie isnae a bad thing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This.

Ironically I thought Webbo struggled today, just lacking match sharpness

Webster was completely out of character as he was terrible, esp in the first half.

My only consolation at half time was:-

'it could have been worse we could have been playing Webster AND White'. :lol:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
His desire and effort he put in yesterday was just fantastic to watch , pre match Burnley fans were over the moon he'd been selected to start , they probably had read to much NSC , you could see even in the warm up he was absolutely chomping at the bit to play again.

He may lack finesse in certain areas but you could not fault him on sheer willingness to win, with Dunk at his side it won't take him too long to get back that special partnership that served us so well over the years , Duffy is not one for the scrapheap just yet .

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Duffy or Burn as the 3rd centre back against the teams who are a bit more physical and like to lump balls into the box is fine. But against the others we need someone more comfortable with the ball at his feet, unless for those we go flat back 4. Veltman could step in at centre back but i'd rather he concentrate on RB/RBW. It may be this season we risk getting through with a combination of the above and then next season we have Ostigard prepped and ready to step in

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Despite his disastrous season at Celtic I think his deficiencies are hugely overplayed on here and he was not POTS here for no reason. He is not great with the ball at his feet but White was very weak in the air and I don’t recall the same level of criticism going his way.

Glad Shane is back may not be a first choice all the time but certainly has something to offer at this level in certain games for us.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Despite his disastrous season at Celtic I think his deficiencies are hugely overplayed on here and he was not POTS here for no reason. He is not great with the ball at his feet but White was very weak in the air and I don’t recall the same level of criticism going his way.

Glad Shane is back may not be a first choice all the time but certainly has something to offer at this level in certain games for us.
Agree with this. You don't get to be a pl player of the season by being a donkey. He won't dribble it forward or play raking diagonals but he's easily capable of playing composed passes into midfield

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
DBD injury will give Duffy a run in the team - which may well last quite a while IMO

Brentford away you would expect Duffy to have Toney in his back pocket - whereas Toney owned White on Friday night

The two home games in GP first season when Duffy on bench when we lost 1-0 to Burnley and Shef Utd were a travesty; Duffy was made for those games, instead we had beaten by a long ball Webster who admittedly has improved no end since then

When Veltman came into team last season he cemented a place through never say die performances - my hunch is Duffy will do the same this year

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Arsenal have been screaming out for a proper defender for years. Does anyone think that Toney dominates the offensive line like he did against Arsenal if Duffy is up his chuffs? Duffy attacking and White mopping up gives Brentford a completely different problem. In fact, Duffy to Arsenal is probably one that Finsbury Park FC should be looking at... £40m and he's yours Edu.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
DBD injury will give Duffy a run in the team - which may well last quite a while IMO

Brentford away you would expect Duffy to have Toney in his back pocket - whereas Toney owned White on Friday night

The two home games in GP first season when Duffy on bench when we lost 1-0 to Burnley and Shef Utd were a travesty; Duffy was made for those games, instead we had beaten by a long ball Webster who admittedly has improved no end since then

When Veltman came into team last season he cemented a place through never say die performances - my hunch is Duffy will do the same this year

I would think that Veltman will be back before BDB.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It is. Yesterday suited his style of play and he made the most of it. Up against ball playing teams he’ll have problems. It’s a case of playing him in games to match his strengths rather than his weaknesses.

You can work on distribution and ball control but you can't coach bravery and will to win, qualities Duffer possesses in abundance. .

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Duffy or Burn as the 3rd centre back against the teams who are a bit more physical and like to lump balls into the box is fine. But against the others we need someone more comfortable with the ball at his feet, unless for those we go flat back 4. Veltman could step in at centre back but i'd rather he concentrate on RB/RBW. It may be this season we risk getting through with a combination of the above and then next season we have Ostigard prepped and ready to step in

.. and that leaves the three other CBs we've got to consider - Roberts: he's been around the squad training I believe (didn't he feature briefly in one of the friendlies?) Van Hecke: where is he? Heard something about an injury, but apart from that, nothing. And lastly, Tudor Baluta: is he even in the country? - seems to be our invisible/forgotten man at the moment!

AFAIK, all three are still on our books - wonder what we will do with them next.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here