Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duels in football

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Fabian Schaar talking about the game against Scotland said:

“There were a lots of tackles and duels, as we expected. They made it extremely difficult for us.”

I've noticed duels popping up in more and more interviews and discussions about games. In much the same way as everyone talks about 'suffering' during a game.

But what exactly are they? Are they something entirely new to the game or just a good old fashioned 50-50? Or something else that's been around forever but has got a nice new fancy name?

I like the sound of them, they sound exciting, so I want to know more.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I’m guessing no Scotland player smacked his opponent in the face with a glove demanding satisfaction?

I’d assume they mean two players who are directly opposed to each other most of the game. Like a centre back and opposition striker, or two centre midfielders.

Don’t think it’s anything new other than a name, in the past it was probably known as man to man marking.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is the image that always instantly springs to mind...

Dave_mackay_3217606b.jpg

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I love all those little battles when you're watching a game live. TV always sterilises it all because you're only watching a portion of the play and pitch. Watching a game life I tend to watch those 'duels' more than the ball. Someone like Veltman is consistently jostling players, winding them up, often very physically.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

“There were a lots of tackles and duels, as we expected. They made it extremely difficult for us.”

I've noticed duels popping up in more and more interviews and discussions about games. In much the same way as everyone talks about 'suffering' during a game.

But what exactly are they? Are they something entirely new to the game or just a good old fashioned 50-50? Or something else that's been around forever but has got a nice new fancy name?

It’s just a language thing. These things are said in Europe a lot and are just being said more over here with more players and coaches working here these days. Suffering for example is said a lot in Spain.

See also - in a good moment. Also used a lot in Spain as well as other European countries and a favourite of a certain Mr Potter.

One of the things I love about European football is the different language they use. They apply so many better and more descriptive words than we do in English to various aspects of the game.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
It’s definitely more prominent in football stats these days and in that context I’m pretty sure it refers to 50:50 battles over a loose ball.

Caicedo, for example, was a duel-winning monster for us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Head to heads.

Think Hunter v Keegan
El Abd v Nugent
Er, Dunk v Mitrovic :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s just a language thing. These things are said in Europe a lot and are just being said more over here with more players and coaches working here these days. Suffering for example is said a lot in Spain.

See also - in a good moment. Also used a lot in Spain as well as other European countries and a favourite of a certain Mr Potter.

One of the things I love about European football is the different language they use. They apply so many better and more descriptive words than we do in English to various aspects of the game.
And the Germans are always banging on about shame.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Yes, in a good moment!

So are duels just 1 v1s? 50 - 50 tackles? The individual battles on the pitch i.e Centre forward against centre half, winger against full back etc? Or something else?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I guess the one between Moore and Pele is the most famous.

Obviously they happen in each and every match which is why they mostly go unnoticed. But those of us there that day will remember Crumplin v Barnes and boy did the FG do well!

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004

Duels have been part of the football lexicon at least as far back as I can remember (about 42 years).

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yes, in a good moment!

So are duels just 1 v1s? 50 - 50 tackles? The individual battles on the pitch i.e Centre forward against centre half, winger against full back etc? Or something else?
Basically yes.

Having been a coach in this country for years, I always use 1 v 1’s but I’ve noticed duel’s more. It makes sense.

I’ve used ‘suffer’ and ‘suffering‘ in my coaching a lot as I tend to apply a lot of Spanish habits.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Dan Burn v Adama Traoré was always entertaining.

You never quite knew exactly when the yellow card was coming, but you always knew one was.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Albion duels that come to mind for me.

Zaha v March at Amex (Marchat left back had him in his pocket)
Doku v Milner at Etihad last season (Milner was left clutching shadows and breathing out of his arse)
Mitrovic v Dunk at Craven Cottage (50/50 tussle)
Kane v Dunk at Amex (Dunk physically wrestled him throughout allowing Kane room to play whatsoever)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here