Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DrWho - Is this the worst series since Sylvester McCoy?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
IMHO the Christopher Ecclestone episodes were the high point of the Dr Who revival.

kTTCP.gif

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If you believe that...

But yes, last night's was far and away the worst episode of New Who. It wasn't even a Dr Who story in any way, it was a Twlight Zone or Outer Limits thing (but too convoluted for either) with no real Dr Who universe elements. It was, as the OP suggested, like the worst of the McCoy era. Little more than opening doors and running down a corridor. The sooner the BBC puts this dog down the better. The word from Private Eye re the whole Who team hating each other and knowing it's shit suggests they might just drag it out to 2013 (the 50th anniversary) then pull the plug. Frankly, the sooner the better.

Well Piers Wenger and Beth Willis have both left (but then in TV its not unusual to have two or three years before moving on to something else) so maybe there is some truth in it. However it does mean that there are new people for the next series (Moff still there). So Im not sure how accurate/recent the Private Eye story is.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I enjoyed the episode where Amy was trapped on the quarantine ship thing for 30 years...the hitler one was awful, not liking the River Song storyline. I think Karen Gillan is awesome...my favourite "assistant" yet...

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I enjoyed the episode where Amy was trapped on the quarantine ship thing for 30 years...the hitler one was awful, not liking the River Song storyline. I think Karen Gillan is awesome...my favourite "assistant" yet...

the older Amy was definate MILF material even though she stayed ginger :)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I just watched yesterday's episode, and I quite liked it. I don't like the way amy has seemingly no emotional attachment to a daughter she was desperate to find a few episodes ago. Sure she now knows that her daughter grew up to be river song, and that her school friend was also her daughter, but that is such a weird dynamic and she just seems to have lost any serious interest in her daughter.

Ok I get all the time shifting stuff etc and I get the regeration bit into Riversong BUT how did Amy's baby turn into
Mels-Nina-Toussaint-White.jpg

or am I missing something fundamental

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ok I get all the time shifting stuff etc and I get the regeration bit into Riversong BUT how did Amy's baby turn into

Like the doctor, her baby regenerated several times. The baby in the astronaut suit at the start of this season was her baby, I believe, at the end of the episode she starts to regenerate. I don't know how many times she regenerated before becoming young mels (who the grew up with amy). Or how she ended up back with Amy when she was a kid, that may be explained later or may be something we just have to give them poetic licence with.

At the end of the first episode of the current series we see a young child regenerating - presumably at that point (or a subsequent regeneration, it's never really explained how timelords physically develop) she regenerated into Mels and then spent her early years with Amy and Rory.

I thought yesterday's episode worked quite well as a small set-piece (necessary when you have an overarching story for the season as a whole) - although the ending, probably the most important part, felt rather tacked-on. There's two episodes left - next week looks like another set-piece, with the finale (I assume the end of River Song's story line, and presumably an explanation of The Silence as well) to follow.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Woah! I don't watch all the episodes, so could someone explain how Amy's baby regenerates when she isn't a Time Lord? And does that mean River Song can re-generate as well? As a casual watcher this is all very confusing - and is Rory still a plastic Roman soldier?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Woah! I don't watch all the episodes, so could someone explain how Amy's baby regenerates when she isn't a Time Lord? And does that mean River Song can re-generate as well? As a casual watcher this is all very confusing - and is Rory still a plastic Roman soldier?

Because it was conceived in the tardis

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Young and old Amy episode was good, the last one lacking abit. I find there isn't enough 'Look into camera and scream' and scary bits any more.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Woah! I don't watch all the episodes, so could someone explain how (A) Amy's baby regenerates when she isn't a Time Lord? (B) And does that mean River Song can re-generate as well? As a casual watcher this is all very confusing - and (C)is Rory still a plastic Roman soldier?

(A) As the OP said conceived in the tardis.

(B) She could but not any more - gave them all up to save the doctor in the episode lets kill hitler.

(C) No. That was reversed at the end of last season when the doctor re booted the universe. Rory remembers due to timey wimey/wibbly wobbly.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
At the end of the first episode of the current series we see a young child regenerating - presumably at that point (or a subsequent regeneration, it's never really explained how timelords physically develop) she regenerated into Mels and then spent her early years with Amy and Rory.

Indeed. Just as she is regenerating Mel says "last time I did this I was a child in New York"

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
(A) As the OP said conceived in the tardis.

(B) She could but not any more - gave them all up to save the doctor in the episode lets kill hitler.

(C) No. That was reversed at the end of last season when the doctor re booted the universe. Rory remembers due to timey wimey/wibbly wobbly.
Thanks (and you Gazwag). Didn't see the "Let's kill Hitler" episode (as I said I'm not a full-time Who watcher) so I'm not up to speed on everything. I have seen some random woman with an eyepatch appearing every now and then - no doubt that will all get explained in the fullness of time!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Thanks (and you Gazwag). Didn't see the "Let's kill Hitler" episode (as I said I'm not a full-time Who watcher) so I'm not up to speed on everything. I have seen some random woman with an eyepatch appearing every now and then - no doubt that will all get explained in the fullness of time!

The woman with the eye patch is/was the leader of the erm, organisation, that kidnapped Rory & Amys baby and turned her into the assasin that became Melody (Mels/River Song) who was raised/trained whatever with the sole purpose of killing the doctor.

Nearly worked in the ep lets kill hitler (poison lipstick) but at the end she gives up her regenerations to save the doctor.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I'm not convinced. I don't remember them specifically saying it, and I think they left it vague so they can go bac to it if they choose.

That was kinda explained in the episode before 'let's kill hitler'.

At some point in the past real amy was switched with a ganger amy. Real amy was kidnapped and left in a box to go through her pregnancy. Every so often her real psyche would bleed through into the ganger amy's psyche and she would see the midwife checking on her. (I hope that makes sense - real amy in a box, eye patch lady would open the box and check on real amy. Ganger amy would occasionally see what real amy was seeing so we saw eye patch woman appeared to ganger amy in other episodes.

Eye patch lady was part of a group of people who follow the religion-like folloing of 'The Silence', who want to kill the doctor, so they stole amy's baby to raise her and brainwash her kill the doctor.

There are hints that there is more to the eye patch lady than we know, that her real identity is to be revealled later. If course that could just be what the trailer wanted us to believe and I'm falling for it. Sorry, that's cryptic to avoid spoilers.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'm not convinced. I don't remember them specifically saying it, and I think they left it vague so they can go bac to it if they choose.

True but at the wedding just before the fade out and cut to the tardis landing Rory says "i was plastic..."

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The woman with the eye patch is/was the leader of the erm, organisation, that kidnapped Rory & Amys baby and turned her into the assasin that became Melody (Mels/River Song) who was raised/trained whatever with the sole purpose of killing the doctor.

Nearly worked in the ep lets kill hitler (poison lipstick) but at the end she gives up her regenerations to save the doctor.
Blimey! They really don't encourage casual viewing do they? If you miss an episode you miss out on a whole chunk of the story! So who was the 'astronaut' who shot the doctor in the first episode of this series (the one with the 'scream' men in it)? Was that the same little girl?

And where's the girl now? Has Amy given birth? I certainly didn't see a baby on Saturday and Amy never said anything like "We better get out of this fake hotel soon as I'm picking the kids up at six."

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Blimey! They really don't encourage casual viewing do they? If you miss an episode you miss out on a whole chunk of the story! So who was the 'astronaut' who shot the doctor in the first episode of this series (the one with the 'scream' men in it)? Was that the same little girl?

And where's the girl now? Has Amy given birth? I certainly didn't see a baby on Saturday and Amy never said anything like "We better get out of this fake hotel soon as I'm picking the kids up at six."

No. They are following the american format where they are "rewarding" long term viewing over the season.

Have you seen any this season Brov?

Its alluded that the girl in the spacesuit is an infant Melody/River Song. The Doctor does actually die.

Yes Amy has given birth as Acker said in the episode A good Man Goes to War. The "girl" as you put it is now River Song, but Amy did say if you see my daughter tell her to visit her mum and dad at the endof the last episode.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No. They are following the american format where they are "rewarding" long term viewing over the season.

Have you seen any this season Brov?

Its alluded that the girl in the spacesuit is an infant Melody/River Song. The Doctor does actually die.

Yes Amy has given birth as Acker said in the episode A good Man Goes to War. The "girl" as you put it is now River Song, but Amy did say if you see my daughter tell her to visit her mum and dad at the endof the last episode.
Probably about half. I saw the first one, saw one where they were on a pirate ship, one where they were in a dolls house, one where Amy aged about 36 years, and one where the Tardis became a person (my favourite in this season). Maybe some others but it's a bit of a blur as I can't remember which ones are in this season and which are in the last - and talking of the last season I also missed the last episode which probably hasn't helped. Also I tend to tune out when River Song's talking.

And thinking about it I did see at least part of the one where Amy gives birth - is that the one where lizard lady and her lesbian maid turn up? However I thought it had all been a con as the baby was some sort of 'fleshbot'.

Maybe I should stick to Torchwood. That's shit but at least you can miss out six episodes and still pick it up where you left off.

EDIT: And I missed the very end of this week's. People were talking (in our house) and they wouldn't shut up even when I shouted at them. I saw Rory get an e-type jag and that was about it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here