Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DrWho - Is this the worst series since Sylvester McCoy?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Totally bored by this series, Whilst I like the programme I'm not up on recalling episode names and writers, but what has changed that makes this series so bad and boring ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think I've particularly loved any episode in this current run, but I do enjoy the more complex season-long story arcs that make you want/need to rewatch to catch all the hints and clues. (I've not watched yesterday's episode yet).

Totally bored by this series, Whilst I like the programme I'm not up on recalling episode names and writers, but what has changed that makes this series so bad and boring ?

I don't think anything has changed from last season other than Stephen Moffat finding his groove. His first season as head writer involved introducing a new doctor and setting up his assistants and gradually turning the show from a more episodic series into an ongoing one. This season has much more interconnectedness (and I'm surprised my spell checker isn't highlighting that word) between episodes. Perhaps the individual episode stories are being neglected in an effort to link them for the bigger picture.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I enjoyed it, oh well

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't think anything has changed from the last series. You have great episodes and average episodes. The River Song and Dr death story is rumbling in the background but it's difficult to have this in every episode. Overall I think this series is as good as last so far.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think anything has changed from the last series. You have great episodes and average episodes. The River Song and Dr death story is rumbling in the background but it's difficult to have this in every episode. Overall I think this series is as good as last so far.

The difference is that RTD managed to keep the individual episodes satisfying without relying on the overall story arc and twists regarding it to keep people hooked. The "Let's Kill Hitler" episode was ridiculous, made absolutely no sense considered outside of the story arc, and even considered within that it was largely a messy waste of time. The run of 3 standalone episodes has been better, but still a long way from the classics of "New-Who" (Blink, Midnight, Family of Blood etc.).

Not really sure what's happened to be honest. In some ways it's nice to be rid of the cheap RTD sentimentality, and the hideous deus-ex-machinas that ended his plots, but Moffatt's attempt at making things more complicated certainly show you how well Davies did and making Who both accessible and a lot of fun- despite being frustrating on a weekly basis.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Tell me in what world this could be worse than Sylvester McCoy?

karen-gillan-19072.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I just watched yesterday's episode, and I quite liked it. I don't like the way amy has seemingly no emotional attachment to a daughter she was desperate to find a few episodes ago. Sure she now knows that her daughter grew up to be river song, and that her school friend was also her daughter, but that is such a weird dynamic and she just seems to have lost any serious interest in her daughter.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Haven't seen yesterdays although still watching the series. I like it although it does seem to be missing something, not quite sure what though, still good enough that I wont miss an episode though. Pretty much the only thing I watch on TV other than football!

Watched Saturday's episode on iPlayer and actually thought it was good and relatively straightforward to follow. However the "goodbye" bit at the end gave the impression of being stuck on as an afterthought, sorry to see them go as having a married couple on board sort of kicked into touch the tiresome "Doctor fancies his companion" sub plots which got in the way of previous series of the resurrected run.

I think next Saturday's is the last one in this series.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They should bring back:

Kandyman.jpg

No Dr Who villian will ever compete with that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I just watched yesterday's episode, and I quite liked it. I don't like the way amy has seemingly no emotional attachment to a daughter she was desperate to find a few episodes ago. Sure she now knows that her daughter grew up to be river song, and that her school friend was also her daughter, but that is such a weird dynamic and she just seems to have lost any serious interest in her daughter.

I agree with this. I also find (although a stunning looking Actress) Amy quite an irritating character. I really enjoyed the last two episodes (haven't seen the latest one yet) but after re watching series 2,3 and 4 recently I would say that this is the weakest series of the new ones.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I agree with this. I also find (although a stunning looking Actress) Amy quite an irritating character. I really enjoyed the last two episodes (haven't seen the latest one yet) but after re watching series 2,3 and 4 recently I would say that this is the weakest series of the new ones.

I agree, Amy is getting more annoying and it does seem to be too much about her and not enough about the Doctor. You almost get the impression that she is running the show and the Doctor is her sidekick which is not the way it should be.

I wouldn't say she is a stunning looking actress, attractive definitely but she doesn't fall into the stunning category for me.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Gave up two weeks ago finally after spending the whole series scratching my head and failing to make sense of anything that has gone on.
How the kids understand it i`ll never know.

Its a shame as i think Matt Smith is a good doctor.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
putting the Daleks in drydock

If you believe that...

But yes, last night's was far and away the worst episode of New Who. It wasn't even a Dr Who story in any way, it was a Twlight Zone or Outer Limits thing (but too convoluted for either) with no real Dr Who universe elements. It was, as the OP suggested, like the worst of the McCoy era. Little more than opening doors and running down a corridor. The sooner the BBC puts this dog down the better. The word from Private Eye re the whole Who team hating each other and knowing it's shit suggests they might just drag it out to 2013 (the 50th anniversary) then pull the plug. Frankly, the sooner the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here