Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Driving in Europe (Holland/Gemany) advice, experiences etc

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
We had a great time at Europa-Park theme park in the pre-covid years. Sounds like that could be on your agenda....

Phantasialand
+49 2232 36600

https://g.co/kgs/7EpyjLU

If your son is a big fan of theme parks, you might want to visit this one which is in Bruhl, a few miles from Cologne.
Apparently it was Michael Jackson's favourite. ( Not sure how much of a recommendation that is!)
Edit - For some reason the link is in Dutch!
Yep, Phantasialand first then heading south to Europa Park

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Although you can pass through Rouen without one if you use the 'All routes' directions.
Indeed. Have driven to near Saumur from the Dieppe ferry and back a fair bit, most recently in June and never needed it to connect from the A28 to the Rouen / Dieppe road. We did end up in the centre of Rouen last time but that's because we lost two wheel nuts off the rear wheel of the car and were on the back of the tow truck. It was also pissing with rain and we were on the way home from a funeral. That was a fun day.

Mostly though, that drive is quick (if you use the toll road, though the 100 mile straight line that is the A28 can be a bit DULL) and uneventful. As others have said driving in France is miles better than using the M25 or M1/M6 here.

You won't be going anywhere near Rouen if you're off to Belgium and Germany, mind.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Make sure you’ve got red triangle , hi-viz and breathalyser kit in boot, and bring oil, screen wash and water coolant with you
Assuming France then you no longer need the breathalyser kit any more.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
We had one of those devices.

Just needs a French Candid Camera/Beadle’s About to keep the barrier down on an unsuspecting driver.
Don’t, it’s about 4 years old and every time I use it having not been used for a few months I crap myself that it won’t work due to a depleted battery…and I’ll look like that English **** who went through the wrong booth!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don’t, it’s about 4 years old and every time I use it having not been used for a few months I crap myself that it won’t work due to a depleted battery…and I’ll look like that English **** who went through the wrong booth!

I never 100% relaxed using it. With several operators with different bleepers, there was a nagging doubt of perhaps it won’t work on this one.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Download the app Radarbot and be protected against speed/safety cameras, fixed or mobile, drones and 'copters. Either the free edition you have to remember to start each time or the paid version that starts and updates automatically.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Make sure you’ve got red triangle , hi-viz and breathalyser kit in boot, and bring oil, screen wash and water coolant with you
You don't need a breath test kit for France any more. They dropped the requirement about 4 years ago.

Never was a requirement in the other countries mentioned

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I never 100% relaxed using it. With several operators with different bleepers, there was a nagging doubt of perhaps it won’t work on this one.
This exchange has inspired me to order a second badge, 4.90 Euros seems a bargain for peace of mind! :lolol:

Mine is a French Ulys/Vinci badge. I seem to recall it was 30 Euros and refundable if returned with normal rates charged and billed monthly on use. Works in France, Spain, Italy and Portugal (2 euro charge per month when used)

Last edited:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Download the app Radarbot and be protected against speed/safety cameras, fixed or mobile, drones and 'copters. Either the free edition you have to remember to start each time or the paid version that starts and updates automatically.
Is this different to using Waze?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Strictly speaking Sat Navs aren't allowed to tell you of an impending speed camera in France. Mine just tells me there's a 'danger zone' in the next mile or two. All Top Gun references will be ignored !

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Strictly speaking Sat Navs aren't allowed to tell you of an impending speed camera in France. Mine just tells me there's a 'danger zone' in the next mile or two. All Top Gun references will be ignored !
Luckily Waze ignores this law and tells you “average speed check zone” and lets you know when you have passed the camera, or “police reported ahead”

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
If in Germany... I wouldn't advise going in the outside lane of an Autobahn unless you're doing well over 100mph! Or you'll see lights in your rear mirror approaching like an express train!
Or even the middle lane!😄

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Drove to Amsterdam, four times to Cologne, many times Calais and down the coast and a round trip to Rouen.
It's so easy to do as long as you remember to drive on the right.
Drivers are so kind. No 'middle lane hoggers'. Motorways are two lanes most of the time, and very quiet. As soon as a car or lorry has overtaken it will pull back to the right. Roadworks have 100 metres advance warning and the speed limit is only for a mile or so, the length of any works. No mile after mile of 50mph limits.
Talking of speeds, see if you can change the settings from MPH to KPH on your car.
For a bite to eat pull off at a smallish town and search for a local patisserie. Toilets at service stations cost 1€ but whilst driving along McDonalds have their restaurant signs 100 foot or more in the air so you can see them miles in advance. Free toilets.
Check your insurance cover, mine has European free, plus breakdown cover, I have free (£13 account fee) European cover with Nationwide.
And finally, use a debit/credit card with no fees.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
Sorry, not read entire thread but a couple of points. Most big German cites require an emissions certificate these days. Use the major roads/autobahns/peage only if you’re trying to get somewhere quickly. Otherwise it’s much more interesting (and keeps you awake) to use the smaller roads. In Switzerland, if using the motorway you’ll need a vignette (about 40CHF). If only quickly dipping into the country to visit Basel (nice city) then avoid the motorway. I drove untold thousands of km in mainland Europe when I lived there and overall the countries you mention are absolutely fine to drive in. Italy and Sicily are crazy by comparison.

Obviously check your insurance policy and make sure you have roadside assistance available.

Parking in big cities in Germany is quite a challenge. They don’t encourage cars much. Difficult to find parking, can be pricey, also traffic lights very short phase. Be patient!

I drove a RHD vehicle without problems for 15 years or so. I actually preferred it. The only irritation is (if on your own) having to get out of the driver’s side to walk round and take car park tickets, pay tolls etc. If you have a passenger this doesn’t matter.

Plan ahead and look up any festivals, carnivals, events etc. There’s always tons of stuff going on if you’re travelling.

Enjoy.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Sorry, not read entire thread but a couple of points. Most big German cites require an emissions certificate these days. Use the major roads/autobahns/peage only if you’re trying to get somewhere quickly. Otherwise it’s much more interesting (and keeps you awake) to use the smaller roads. In Switzerland, if using the motorway you’ll need a vignette (about 40CHF). If only quickly dipping into the country to visit Basel (nice city) then avoid the motorway. I drove untold thousands of km in mainland Europe when I lived there and overall the countries you mention are absolutely fine to drive in. Italy and Sicily are crazy by comparison.

Obviously check your insurance policy and make sure you have roadside assistance available.

Parking in big cities in Germany is quite a challenge. They don’t encourage cars much. Difficult to find parking, can be pricey, also traffic lights very short phase. Be patient!

I drove a RHD vehicle without problems for 15 years or so. I actually preferred it. The only irritation is (if on your own) having to get out of the driver’s side to walk round and take car park tickets, pay tolls etc. If you have a passenger this doesn’t matter.

Plan ahead and look up any festivals, carnivals, events etc. There’s always tons of stuff going on if you’re travelling.

Enjoy.
Vignette fees.
This is the greatest scam ever.

Also, I've a whole bunch of stickers on my car. Buy via the official site.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
Vignette fees.
This is the greatest scam ever.

Also, I've a whole bunch of stickers on my car. Buy via the official site.

That seems to be for Czech vignettes bought in Austria? I was talking about Swiss vignettes. The video seems to be saying if you buy a Czech vignette at the border you pay 5 Euros more? Not really a scam is it? I suppose you’re paying a bit extra for the convenience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here