Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drink driving (a bit of a random thread)

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
Rangdo said:
This is crap. I agree about the old granny's but the point about drinking is that it makes you THINK that you are a better driver so obviously a couple of drinks makes your mate think he's a better driver.
It is a proven fact that drinking alcohol slows down your reflexes and the delay in your reactions can mean the difference between stopping in time or killing someone.
I seriously hope that you and fatboy are joking. If not then I am quite amazed with your attitudes towards drink driving.

Nothing I write is crap and it's not my attitude but my mate's. Read my post properly.

The thing is that the blood alcohol level permissable in the UK is higher than in most other European countires so technically it could be possible to be over the limit in France with a blood alcohol level that was under the limit if you'd been driving in the UK. Would that make you a monster? Probably not, but it does show that it is just an arbitary figure. Far and away the best option is not to drink at all if you're driving. Works for me :)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
They keep banging on about drink driving but what are they doing to prevent it?

How many people on here have ever been breathalised? I've been driving for 11 years and have never been stopped by the police. I've been stopped by people performing traffic surveys twice!

People drink and drive for the simple reason that they KNOW they won't get caught. It's not the punishment that stops people commiting crime it's the likely hood of getting caught.

More random breath tests are the way to go. With on the stop 12 month bans with a heavy fine.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
driddles said:
One of the great things they are doing in my area is having police randomly hit bars downtown. They set up in the bar and let you do a breathalizer just for your own curiousity. So if you need to see where you are after 3 pints you can. Great thing is it gives you gauge for all drinking from that point on.

excellent idea !! Certainly would help those people who drive thinking they are just under the limit...when in fact they are not...

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Dropkick Turnip said:
Nothing I write is crap and it's not my attitude but my mate's. Read my post properly.

I did read your post properly and if you read mine you would see that it was the bit about your mate I was referring to.

Dropkick Turnip said:
it does show that it is just an arbitary figure

The drink drive limit has been arrived at because it is the level at which your judgement begins to be impaired. I doubt very much they just plucked it out of thin air. Just because other country's are less strict doesn't mean ours is the one that is wrong. Where DD is concerned I go with better to be safe than sorry.

Dropkick Turnip said:
Far and away the best option is not to drink at all if you're driving. Works for me

Agree. The only way to stop squabbling and stop people from thinking they are fit to drive when tey are not is to say any alcohol in your system and you're over the limit.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Re points above: the police do not generally have the power to just stop you and breathalyse you for no reason, they have to have reasonable grounds to do so.

For instance:
-you've been seen drinking prior to driving
-they happen to stop you and you smell like a brewery
-you're spotted driving erratically
-you commit certain traffic offences
-you're involved in an accident.

They can't just pull you over and make you take a test, hence Lammy has never been done. He probably never did anything to make the police think he was pissed. There are exceptions, such as specially approved campaigns at Christmas, and so on, but it's not common. That's just the way the law is.

Similarly, as far as the thing with the police in Canada is concerned, the police here have limited powers to enter licenced premises, hence they generally stay outside unless something's kicking off.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not condone drink driving one little bit but like a lot of people I drive the day after a night of heavy drinking the major problem is that there is no way that I can possibly be 100% certain that I am within the prescribed limits. With modern technology there must be a way that an accurate reading could be taken at home that with DNA would be acceptable in court. They must be able to determine whether if I had been OK at 8.00am I had had a drink since then.

Irresponsible idiots could always get their children to blow in these new machines in cars if they thought that they were on the borderline to thus enable the car to start.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
its a very simple thing really. You drink and drive, you are banned FOR EVER...no second chance, no right of appeal. You are caught driving again...10 years in clink.

I know someone who is a widow because some young twat who had drunk 3 times over the limit thought it would be fun to drive his dads BMW at 100 miles an hour around a bend on the wrong side of the road.

There is no excuse whatsoever.

Anyone who thinks its big and clever to drink and drive is pathetic.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bens Grandad

You work in the industry...you know the dangers of driving in the mornings after a "session"!

f***ing WELL DONT!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When is it OK, nobody knows exactly. The suggested time lapse is 1 hour per drink but that is not 100% accurate.

I DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE.

I once, during my heavy drinking time, went for a medical having not had a drink for two days prior in order to be OK when the Dr told me that I would still have failed a blood test it opened my eyes.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Edna,

The bars in my town actually request to be chosen. It is really a good laugh.

1. You are doing a voluntary test which cannot be used against you.

2. They always use the police with a good sense of humour.

David

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I have driven drunk before, I don't know why i did it and I always tell myself I'll never do it again but I have done. There's nothing that's ever happened to me that's made me think it could be bad. I know it's only a matter of time before I do it again, it's a case of being young and stupid with people like me because nothing bad has ever come of it. Some people think like me (idiots) and it's cost them. Dunno what I'm trying to say because, well, I'm a bit pissed. There you go, my shitty input.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here