Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drink driving (a bit of a random thread)

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I was reading about those alcolock things they are designing to fit into cars that you have to blow into before you can start the ignition.

I read in The Times that one of the ways you used to be able to get round it was by blowing through cat shit.

Can anyone find this story online?

Tighe11

Nov 15, 2003
Brighton
So does that mean you pick up your cats shit and put it in the car before you head off to the pub or do you just hope one has gone next to your car before you get in?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I am sure I did not imagine reading this!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i which case they could drive instead ???

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
Del Boy said:
they might not be able to drive, but they might be sober :jester:

Can open, worms everywhere. And is a bad sober driver more or less of a hazard to other road users and pedestrians than a good driver who's everso slightly over the limit? I have a friend who claims that a couple of pints before you get in the car actually makes you a better driver because you concentrate more. Unlike, say, those 90 year olds who might be sober but should have had their keys confiscated years ago. I'd never endorse drink driving but his slant on things is certainly food for thought, no?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Hmmmm.
Pick up cat shit and blow through it to start the car.
Get a taxi.
Which shall it be :shrug:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
beorhthelm said:
i which case they could drive instead ???

Yes. Just used that argument with my dad.

I read that they were improving the alcolocks to prevent getting round it by using cat shit or by getting children to blow into it.

Also read about a drunk who crashed and then tried to bribe a passer by with 10k to say that he was driving. The passer by was a magistrate.

The man then tried to bribe the police.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Dropkick Turnip said:
I have a friend who claims that a couple of pints before you get in the car actually makes you a better driver because you concentrate more.

Agree.

As I was borderline tonight I drove sensibly instead of driving like a twat as I would if I was sober.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Sorry people. Drink drivers should be banned for life. Everyone knows the score, and it still goes on.

If there was a reocurrence a five year jail sentance.

Driving (or riding) is an eaned privilige, and not a right.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
fatboy said:
Agree.

As I was borderline tonight I drove sensibly instead of driving like a twat as I would if I was sober.

What do you mean "borderline". If you had any doubts as to whether you were over the limit you shouldn't have driven.
Try telling the mother of the kid you run over that alcohol improves your reflexes. I'm sure she'll stick up for you.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Dropkick Turnip said:
Can open, worms everywhere. And is a bad sober driver more or less of a hazard to other road users and pedestrians than a good driver who's everso slightly over the limit? I have a friend who claims that a couple of pints before you get in the car actually makes you a better driver because you concentrate more. Unlike, say, those 90 year olds who might be sober but should have had their keys confiscated years ago. I'd never endorse drink driving but his slant on things is certainly food for thought, no?

This is crap. I agree about the old granny's but the point about drinking is that it makes you THINK that you are a better driver so obviously a couple of drinks makes your mate think he's a better driver.
It is a proven fact that drinking alcohol slows down your reflexes and the delay in your reactions can mean the difference between stopping in time or killing someone.
I seriously hope that you and fatboy are joking. If not then I am quite amazed with your attitudes towards drink driving.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
One thing I don't understand about prosecutions, though, is that it seems to me it should be the act itself that gets punished rather than the direct consequences, which while obviously horrific are pretty random.

And the recent example is Lee Hughes getting six years for killing someone while probably over the limit, while Terry Yorath got a ban and community service for 'only' crippling someone while three times over. I think those sentences should have been more similar, as Yorath could easily have killed someone, which surely is the point, and he should have been jailed.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
One of the great things they are doing in my area is having police randomly hit bars downtown. They set up in the bar and let you do a breathalizer just for your own curiousity. So if you need to see where you are after 3 pints you can. Great thing is it gives you gauge for all drinking from that point on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here