Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dr Who - The end of time

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
As i have not seen any episodes for past few years, i guess it was no suprise that i was completely lost by the plot. Is there to be a new Doctor or is series coming to an end..I can still remember the early series as a child, the zarbies, and i think maybe the first episodes, in stone age one of them, and a swamp i seem to recall..

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I read an interview with DT where he said that somewhere within the two episodes (so presumably in part two) is "a twist that no-one will see coming", so it'll be interesting to see what that ends up being.

David Tennant's Doctor dies, and Donna regenerates to the new doctor. You heard it here first.

The doctor and the master combine to defeat the time lords and combine and regenerate as the new doctor.

The wilf shooting the doctor theory seems too obvious.

What is RTD ?

Russell T Davies - head writer of the current incarnation of Dr Who. I believe he is leaving at the same time as Davd Tennant. He will be replaced by BAFTA winner Steven Moffat.

One of the criticisms I've read of this episode is that it feels like every storyline is being wrapped up so that Moffat has a clean slate without having to explain RTD's storylines.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
blatant plagarism at the end.. Phantom Menace rip off as Dalton addresses the Time Lords of Galafrey

More likely a nod of appreciation to another director. Science Fiction can get away with it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
More likely a nod of appreciation to another director. Science Fiction can get away with it.

I'd say it has little-nothing to do with Star Wars, or homages or intertextuality.

It's just a very well used idea - Speaker in the middle surrounded by people on all levels there to hear the speech. It's essentially no different to the scenes in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994) where the professor is in the centre of the lecture hall and the students queue up all around.

Similar to some of the... I forget the name, but kinda like parliament/advisory councils for caesars we see in ancient greek times and roman times.

Having a speaker central, surrounded by people listening to the speech on various levels is not an original George Lucas idea.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I really like Doctor Who - however i've just watched lasts nights as I recorded it and I thought it was one of the worst episodes that I have ever seen - dull, cliched, overly juvenile (yes - for a kids program) ridiculous drivel. Really dissapointed. Really not sure that i'll watch part 2.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I read an interview with DT where he said that somewhere within the two episodes (so presumably in part two) is "a twist that no-one will see coming", so it'll be interesting to see what that ends up being.

I would have assumed that the twist was the reveal that Timothy Dalton, who had been the narrator, was in fact head of the timelords. However, I wasn't following all the press before episode so I'm not certain that it wasn't confirmed that the timelords would return.

Can a DW aficionado explain to me how come the Doctor is always called the last of the Timelords when the Master is one and he exists as well. I know the Master is often supposedly dead but the fact he keeps coming back makes that excuse a bit of a cop out!

Donna is obviously going to play an important part in the second episode, I just hope her contribution will be good and not a head-in-hands inducing moment which I very much fear it might be.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can a DW aficionado explain to me how come the Doctor is always called the last of the Timelords when the Master is one and he exists as well. I know the Master is often supposedly dead but the fact he keeps coming back makes that excuse a bit of a cop out!

Not really an aficionado, but perhaps it's like Superman being the last son of krypton? i.e. a hook that became inaccurate as the Dr Whoniverse exanded.

6a00cdf39deee1cb8f0123ddb2ab3d860b-500pi

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Because the doctor at one point thought he was the last when gallifrey was destroyed in the time war with the daleks.

Then the master did come back in Series 3, then he "died" so that made the dr the last again (or so he thought) then the master came back again...

As i have not seen any episodes for past few years, i guess it was no suprise that i was completely lost by the plot. Is there to be a new Doctor or is series coming to an end..I can still remember the early series as a child, the zarbies, and i think maybe the first episodes, in stone age one of them, and a swamp i seem to recall..

....I remember the Zarbies as well - v. scary when you are 6! I think the big twist will be Gene Hunt appearing in the second part and saying "Tyler, you pansy Galifrean nonce, what the f... do you think you are playing at".

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Hmmm....for me, it was as usal with an RTD XMas special, pretty uneven, some really nice bits (especially most of The Master's bits) nut felt very contrived, especially the ending (nearly ranking up there with the TARDIS towing the Earth back to it's rightful place).

Presumably, the presence of so many Time Lords in one place will generate enough 'Timey-Wimey' energy for a rogue faction of the Time Lords to return from wherever they've hidden themselves away. Think the bit above about Wilf offing The Doctor would be good, especially if Cribs was already mortally wounded, and they can die in each others arms, 10 regeneating to 11 and Wilf regenerating as the new TARDIS :)

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3269580 said:
Yes, as of new year's day he's being played by a 26 year old with no eyebrows.

And a ridiculous choice in my view - what was wrong with David Morrisey?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I thought it was terrible and its such a shame that a show that has some genuinly fantastic stories produced such a stinker on Christmas Day. The preview clip for Part Two has given me some hope though.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Because the doctor at one point thought he was the last when gallifrey was destroyed in the time war with the daleks.

Then the master did come back in Series 3, then he "died" so that made the dr the last again (or so he thought) then the master came back again...

I'm really referring to the old series, as I'm 'up' with the new stuff. I just don't understand why, when The Master appears to have been a recurring villain over the show's span, The Doctor is still referred to as the last of the Timelords. I suppose it's just because he has always been alive whereas The Master is usually dead with a habit of coming back to life!

1066gull

I thought it was terrible and its such a shame that a show that has some genuinly fantastic stories produced such a stinker on Christmas Day. The preview clip for Part Two has given me some hope though.

couldnt agree more

my favorite RTD show is Tooth and Claw, which says something about his writing as it gets more deep

I haven't seen any Doctor Who since the 70s, but the nephews were watching it. I thought it was a load of old tosh.
You'd probably have enjoyed this (on Radio Four, earlier today):-

BBC iPlayer - On the Outside it Looked Like an Old Fashioned Police Box

Broadcast on: BBC Radio 4, 1:30pm Sunday 27th December 2009
Duration: 30 minutes
Available until: 2:02pm Sunday 3rd January 2010

Mark Gatiss, Doctor Who writer and fanatic, explores the hugely popular Doctor Who novelisations of the 1970s and 80s, published by Target books. Featuring some of the best excerpts from the books and interviews with publishers, house writers, illustrators and the actors whose adventures the books tirelessly depicted.

In an age before DVD and video, the Target book series of Doctor Who fiction was conceived as the chance for children to 'keep' and revisit classic Doctor Who. They were marketed as such, written in a highly visual house style. Descriptive passages did the work of the TV camera and the scripts were more or less faithfully reproduced as dialogue.

The books were as close to the experience of watching as possible, and were adored by a generation of children who grew up transfixed by the classic BBC series. Target Doctor Who books became a children's publishing phenomenon - they sold over 13 million copies worldwide. From 1973 until 1994, the Target Doctor Who paperbacks were a mainstay of the publishing world.

A Brook Lapping production for BBC Radio 4.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I thought the begining was a little slow and laboured but a great last 10 minutes, John Simms playing multiple Masters was quality. Looking forward to New Years day episode.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here