Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Down To Fifth And...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Some people on here need a reality check.

Yes we have just been beaten, but at one of the better and more physical sides in the division. I thought Swindon were the best side to have been at Withdean this season, and certainly were going to cause us problems. It's hardly a major shock to have been beaten down there.

There is still a lot of potential in the squad that we have and it will take time for some of the younger players that are coming through to gel properly. We could do with strengthening in several areas but we all know that there isn't a pile of cash for McGhee to work with, and we are far from the only team in the division with that problem.

One defeat doesn't write the season off anymore than one win guarantees promotion.

we where all over them in first half

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We are an very average side luckily in an appaling division, Plymouth and QPR are the quality acts and rightly deserve to go up.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
We are very dull and poor this season, having said that if we can add a couple of players in January theres no reason we cant finish in the top six as this division is s***

It's frustrating. Division two is far weaker than the last time we were in it. If we had a bit of cash, all this seasons team would probably need is a bit of tinkering and fine tuning to win this league easily. However, we're strapped for cash like many other clubs, so we have to make do with what we've got. If we were to go up, the amount of rebuilding to survive in the first division would be massive. Many players from last season have peaked and are on the downward slope. Although capable of doing a half decent job in div 2/3, they'd be slaughtered every week in Div one.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Zeitgeist said:
It's frustrating. Division two is far weaker than the last time we were in it. If we had a bit of cash, all this seasons team would probably need is a bit of tinkering and fine tuning to win this league easily. However, we're strapped for cash like many other clubs, so we have to make do with what we've got. If we were to go up, the amount of rebuilding to survive in the first division would be massive. Many players from last season have peaked and are on the downward slope. Although capable of doing a half decent job in div 2/3, they'd be slaughtered every week in Div one.

Perhaps, therefore, painful as it might be to say it, we should make do with Div 2 until we run out at Falmer. I'm not sure I could cope with another relegation year or struggle in Div 1. It was so painful on occasions last season........the 4-2 home defeat by Sheff Utd and the thrashing at Palace were just too awful for words.

:rolleyes:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Trigger said:
If Wrexham & Port Vale Win Thier Games In Hand We Drop Out Of The Play Offs!

Get Some Bloody New Players In NOW McGhee & Knight! :angry:
Ha ha trigg you crack me up and can't say i saw anything to get excited about my old china.:clap2: :clap2: :drink:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
El Presidente said:
We're fifth and we're not very good.

Remember that compared to two seasons ago we have lost first choices in the shape of Zamora, Brooker, Sidwell, Lewis, Steele, Kitson, Morgan, Blackwell, Rodger........to say nothing of Daniel Webb.

We are Skint in more ways than one, it's pointless telling Dick to get his wallet out cos it's empty, and not the job of a chairman of a company to pour money down the drain anyway

To quote my Christmas present (I know I am going to be told to stick it somewhere soon :lol: ) last season our best keeper was Beasant, our best defender was Blackwell and our best midfielder was Rodger. That is official and without them we are just an average 2nd division side.

Play offs would be nice

Some games we're just plain unlucky and to have two goals disallowed and players booked when fouled?

Stumpy Tim

Gareth Glover said:
We are an very average side luckily in an appaling division, Plymouth and QPR are the quality acts and rightly deserve to go up.

Can't agree with you there gg. Half a season to go, & we've got Blackwell & Rodger to come back. I reckon MM will get us sorted out soon & we'll win a few on the trot. He'll also get us a striker.

I also have a feeling that one of Plymouth or QPR will have a bad run. I think it's too soon to say they will be going up

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
in the early part of the season we got results not playing that well which has put us in this position in the league at this time is still not bad,we can kick on from here.
by the end of january we will know exactly how good or average a team we really have
yesterday performance derserved a draw imho

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:

I also have a feeling that one of Plymouth or QPR will have a bad run. I think it's too soon to say they will be going up

Plymouth seem to be on fire at the moment, I reckon it could be their year this year.

Albion Rob

Maybe we are all just going to have to get used to being normal football supporters again.

Let me do a timeline to illustrate.

1995-1997: Battle for the Goldstone, protests after evey match, pitch invasions and fireworks, trying to save the club. Noting else mattered, and we won it.

1997-1999: The nothing years, shocking on the pitch and a harsh journey every fortnight for the supporters. As long as we didn't go out of the league (thank god for Donny) then everything would be ok. Getting back to Brighton and Hove was the priority.

1999-2000: Back in Brighton. A marvellous season where we could enjoy decent crowds for the division, get used to our surroundings and hope that the MA revolution would take effect.

2000-2002: The glory years. Bobby Zamora, successive promotions, exciting wins and two titles. Great days for the Seagulls and fantastic days out to be had by all.

2002-2003: The fight for Div 1 survival. Ok, we had players that weren't up to it, but if we hadn't had Hinsh we would still be there. We took it to the wire but lost out in the end, didn't quite have what we needed but we did our best.

Present: We've lost players, but we have new ones and young ones coming through. We lack the physical strength of some, but are still respected as one of the better sides. We should make the playoffs and who knows from there. We can be frustrating and sometimes disappointing, but it is hard to not to concede that maybe the current crop have found their level.

Ancient history: Let us not forget we have spent just four years out of 102 in the top flight (best finish 13) and that in the early 90s we were close to being wound up more times than a punter on Beadle's About.

Conclusion: Maybe we are just what we are at the moment, a decent Divison Two side who may or may not be there in the shake-up. The past eight years have been possibly the most amazing rollercoaster in any club's history, but we may have come off that ride now and we have got on the tea cup. The question is, how fast will the tea cup ride spin, and when Falmer is built, are we set for a go on the Vampire Ride?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
ripper said:
Plymouth seem to be on fire at the moment, I reckon it could be their year this year.

I agree, this team now has a future. New ground and great team, Plymouth will be champions.

I think we will start moving forward when we get a yes for the new ground and Mcghee brings in a few new players.

:clap2:

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Good post Albion Rob.

Mediocre season for once maybe - but I see no reason why this ride cannot have a thrill twist at the end with the play-offs.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't really give a toss where we finish this season as there is no way we're getting promoted. And I couldn't stand the heartbreak of a play off final defeat either. When I'm out on a Saturday, checking the Albion score is no longer the first thing I do when I get in.

All I want this season is a letter that says we don't have to be stuck at a shit temporary running track venue surrounded by trees, golf stands and portacabins. I've lost patience and don't want to spend my money on watching Albion at such facilities. And judging by our gates and general lethargy surrounding the club this season, it appears I'm not the only one.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
We are not top 2 material - no way. QPR and Plymouth look a cut above everyone else.

If we get to the play off's with this current squad, we will have done well.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Top post Albion Rob!

My view is that until Falmer is given the go (if it does) then we will always be a nearly Div 1 team, maybe go up again and come back down! We wont have any money until Falmer (if) so buying players is not gonna happen, we have fresh young blood coming through and players suddenly playing decent (Piercy) and we still have Leon who cant stop scoring.

The way this season will go will be win-loose-win-loose, doubt we will have a decent winning run but I reckon we should be in the mixer come play-offs time.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Can't see why Plymouth & QPR are a cut above ??

We comforatbly beat QPR back in August and were unlucky to lose the LDV, bloke I work with is an Argyle season ticket holder and said they were s**t against Brentford yesterday.

As for us I think McGhee is starting to get the team to play the way he wants and now has an idea of what all the players can do.

We are inconsistant at the moment but will improve with a play off place at best, this is an average division and we are a good div 2 team, but nothing more.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
January is our most importanant month imho, playing QPR, plymouth and barnsley (unless they are out of the cup it will be prosponeded) if we managed to not lose these 3 we will be back in the running again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here