Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't pick up from the Amex by car post match...dont mess our future up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
on the other hand, people are going to do this, more so in the cold/wet winter. it would be sensible to identify, officially or unofficially, a spot nearby that people can use as a pick up point that avoids the buses and carparks.

Exactly. In fact, this should be welcomed as it will mean fewer parking places are needed. There should be plenty of safe pick-up places in one of the universities for this.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why not just walk to the bus stop over the subway through to the Uni campass and get picked up from there? Out of everyone's way and it would be much quicker, presumably. If you are in SUCH a rush to get home, anyway.

Ah, so you suggest people use a bus stop to pick up. Not sure the bus companies will be too pleased with that!

So now it seems the BF issues have largely been resolved it's time to launch into another group. Exactly how many people were being picked up in this manner, can't believe it is a horrendous amount. Surely if they pick on the south side of Village way and turn at the Uni mini roundabout what's the problem. If they get stuck in traffic they will soon find a different place to collect.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The problem with identifying designated pick up/drop off areas is you are then giving the impression that this is a suitable method of going to and from the ground. This would then lead more people to do it, meaning more traffic problems.

Once you deem it as being acceptable then you'll have 22000 people wanting to be picked up after a rainy FA cup replay in winter. Imagine the chaos at the pick up points then...
Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Have some rep. Oh.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
100% agree with this. It is also stopping non Albion supporters travelling on the bus from Univ of Brighton. People are also waiting in a queue on the main A27 by the bus stop at Falmer Station, filling the nearside lane with parked cars - there's going to be an accident.............

Ah, so you suggest people use a bus stop to pick up. Not sure the bus companies will be too pleased with that!

So now it seems the BF issues have largely been resolved it's time to launch into another group. Exactly how many people were being picked up in this manner, can't believe it is a horrendous amount. Surely if they pick on the south side of Village way and turn at the Uni mini roundabout what's the problem. If they get stuck in traffic they will soon find a different place to collect.
It's enough of a problem for the police to have put up cones in Village Way to discourage it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The problem with identifying designated pick up/drop off areas is you are then giving the impression that this is a suitable method of going to and from the ground. This would then lead more people to do it, meaning more traffic problems.

Once you deem it as being acceptable then you'll have 22000 people wanting to be picked up after a rainy FA cup replay in winter. Imagine the chaos at the pick up points then...

Sent by the power of squirrel poo
It IS a suitable method of going to and from the ground. Among the transport 'stuff'' I've looked at (can't remember which document) the club allowed for the fact that there would be people arriving and leaving via "kiss 'n' drop". I did once pose the question in either ATC or the now-removed ATFPT sub-forum as to whether there would be an area for this and was told 'yes'. The sole debate, IMO, is where these areas should be; currently there have been some sensible set-downs and pick-ups, some stupid ones (at the stadium itself), and some downright dangerous ones - like the people who I saw getting dropped off on the eastbound A27 and sprinting across the dual-carriageway!

EDIT: And you'll never have 22000 people doing it as it isn't a practical method for people living a long distance away - unless the people doing the dropping-off are going to hang around for two hours to pick them up again afterwards.

Last edited:

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
100% agree with this. It is also stopping non Albion supporters travelling on the bus from Univ of Brighton. People are also waiting in a queue on the main A27 by the bus stop at Falmer Station, filling the nearside lane with parked cars - there's going to be an accident.............

i remember that from the tottenham match. thank god our roads aren't like india's. I watched india on four wheels last night and people drive on the wrong side of the road or where they shouldnt park and don't care. Worse than the p&r which fans thought they could just hold up busses willy nilly and take an age to be picked up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The more people are encouraged to use drop-off and pick-up before and after the game, the more matchday traffic there is obviously going to be in the area. For this reason alone, I'd say the club should absolutely NOT build in a specific drop-off point. Cars are supposed to be being kept to a bare minimum. Just because they won't be parking at the stadium during the game, doesn't make them any less of a problem when they do pitch up to drop off or pick up.

The club have bent over backwards to provide a workable transport infrastructure away from the car, and by and large, it IS working. Whats so damn important that people feel they have to be home and hosed within half an hour of the final whistle FFS. You don't like crowds ? Go and watch Lewes FC instead.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I have to admit to using this method, mainly because I have at present trouble in walking any distance, but I try to be sensible in the way we do it.
I get my wife to drop me off early at least an hour before kick off and then I stay for at least an hour after the game and watch the traffic from the concourse.
When it has died down I ring her to come and pick me up. What is wrong with that?

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
The duck pond in Falmer Village is basically a big round-a-bout, the club should tell people to drop off there.

(joke)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have to admit to using this method, mainly because I have at present trouble in walking any distance, but I try to be sensible in the way we do it.
I get my wife to drop me off early at least an hour before kick off and then I stay for at least an hour after the game and watch the traffic from the concourse.
When it has died down I ring her to come and pick me up. What is wrong with that?

Not so bad if you're avoiding peak times I guess.
Its the bods who want to get there at the last minute, and be winging it home along the A27 by 4.55 that are going to add to the problems. And I can see this becoming a greater issue as the weather deteriorates, if the club don't get a handle on it.

albionite

May 20, 2009
If you need to be picked up/dropped off, this should just be done at one of the P & R sites. No walking is needed, you only need to buy a voucher and catch the bus.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Not so bad if you're avoiding peak times I guess.
Its the bods who want to get there at the last minute, and be winging it home along the A27 by 4.55 that are going to add to the problems. And I can see this becoming a greater issue as the weather deteriorates, if the club don't get a handle on it.
The only time it did not work was at the Sunderland game when the club closed the bars before the game ended.
I put this as a question to the insider and now they have stated that all evening games the bars are to stay open until 11pm. So I can carry on using this method without adding to the traffic issues.

Last edited:

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Exactly right. It isn't my idea of fun to stand around in the rain or whatever waiting for a bus or train. Surely someone could (have?) work(ed) out some kind of drive in pick up system? And the university car park mentioned abive would be ideal for this...

Lush

Mods' Pet
At Withdean, it mainly seemed to be mums waiting to pick up dads and kids. And seeing the way that some of them behave around the school gates, I don't think a few traffic cones are going to stop them making sure that little Johnny doesn't have to walk an inch more than is absolutely necessary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here