Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I concur.

Utter drivel.

Off to a flying start there, Beaconsfield :laugh:

I bet you're a hoot at a party. :nono:

With 13 and a half thousand posts to your name on this board alone,maybe that explains why YOU dont get invited to many parties.

Let the man have his opinion and then counter it.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
But that's the issue. If you reckon Dick thinks there's an issue that needed to be headed off, then I think Bas' popularity is being over-played.

I can't see how, in this instance, the club are getting it in the neck about Bas' contract talks. Everything appeared above-board. An offer was made, not signed, then improved, and still Bas didn't want to sign.

I do disagree not so much with what Dick said, but the fact that he said it. It was unnecessary.

Right - so why has he done it? I'm not saying you should know the answer, but this is very unlike DK to start making public statements, without being provoked, and even then, it usually takes him weeks.

Yet with this situation, he has gone right for the jugular with the player, the agent, even criticising Dean publicly for playing him - it's a very strongly worded statement and very unlike him.

I think that's why people feel he may 'cloud the issues' somewhat. Even though George O'Callaghan has got a big mouth and needs to know when to shut it, how do we know he hasn't been put up to by the other players??

You can see it now - 'You lot are all pissed off with the contract situation, and the fact that Bas is off? No problem boys, I'm not coming back so I'll go stir it up for you'.

Again not right - but there is more to this than meets the eye if you ask me.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
53 months / 13,500 = 255
14 months / 2,200 = 157

Your posts per month is still pretty impressive

Who`s talking to you trunky.

A 40% higher posting rate huh. Accountant are you nosey.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Right - so why has he done it? I'm not saying you should know the answer, but this is very unlike DK to start making public statements, without being provoked, and even then, it usually takes him weeks.

Yet with this situation, he has gone right for the jugular with the player, the agent, even criticising Dean publicly for playing him - it's a very strongly worded statement and very unlike him.

I think that's why people feel he may 'cloud the issues' somewhat. Even though George O'Callaghan has got a big mouth and needs to know when to shut it, how do we know he hasn't been put up to by the other players??

You can see it now - 'You lot are all pissed off with the contract situation, and the fact that Bas is off? No problem boys, I'm not coming back so I'll go stir it up for you'.

Again not right - but there is more to this than meets the eye if you ask me.

I basically agree with what you're saying except...

The thing about Dick 'taking weeks' is possibly just that. The contract offer was made to Bas weeks ago - as far back as October.

What I am scratching my head at is... Why did George do his best to burn his bridges? He has had an offer on the table for months, and Brighton and Ipswich have been discussing his continued loan spell. It doesn't make sense.

I think this is an issue which needs to be played out. What we DON'T need on here is a scenario where a defeat at Yeovil means that people are putting two and two together and coming up with the fact that there is a major crisis at the club. I suspect we will be told everything in the fullness of time.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think this is an issue which needs to be played out. What we DON'T need on here is a scenario where a defeat at Yeovil means that people are putting two and two together and coming up with the fact that there is a major crisis at the club. I suspect we will be told everything in the fullness of time.

But TWO defeats in a row (away from home) is a major crisis!!!! It is for teams like Man U and Arsenal and so it is for us :jester:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I basically agree with what you're saying except...

The thing about Dick 'taking weeks' is possibly just that. The contract offer was made to Bas weeks ago - as far back as October.

What I am scratching my head at is... Why did George do his best to burn his bridges? He has had an offer on the table for months, and Brighton and Ipswich have been discussing his continued loan spell. It doesn't make sense.

Yeah what I mean with DK is that he usually gets criticised for 'hiding away' and saying nothing in the press until it hits fever pitch, and then comes out and makes a statement. Whenever the contract offer was made is nothing to do with it, Bas chucks his shirt into the crowd, he wasn't available for public comment on Boxing Day, but then the Chairman comes out on the attack. That's very unlike him to do it in public. We usually hear about this sort of thing - but on an end of season video, not smack bang in the middle of the situation.

What I'm trying to say is that, as usual, somebody is not telling the truth here. Somebody is twisting the facts - it is the Chairman, or the agent??

As for O'Callaghan - f*** knows. He doesn't want to be on loan - that's crystal clear, and he knows we can't afford to pay him what he wants as well for a permanent deal. But yeah - he's played his last game for the club, absolutely no doubt.

I think it could be another hefty defeat tomorrow - New Years Day could be interesting.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yeah what I mean with DK is that he usually gets criticised for 'hiding away' and saying nothing in the press until it hits fever pitch, and then comes out and makes a statement. Whenever the contract offer was made is nothing to do with it, Bas chucks his shirt into the crowd, he wasn't available for public comment on Boxing Day, but then the Chairman comes out on the attack. That's very unlike him to do it in public. We usually hear about this sort of thing - but on an end of season video, not smack bang in the middle of the situation.

What I'm trying to say is that, as usual, somebody is not telling the truth here. Somebody is twisting the facts - it is the Chairman, or the agent??

As for O'Callaghan - f*** knows. He doesn't want to be on loan - that's crystal clear, and he knows we can't afford to pay him what he wants as well for a permanent deal. But yeah - he's played his last game for the club, absolutely no doubt.

I think it could be another hefty defeat tomorrow - New Years Day could be interesting.
Assuming George doesn't play tomorrow, Fraser and Hammond, or Hammond and Reid would suit just fine. I can't believe Wilkins and the rest of the management team hasn't got his pretty decent group of professionals lined up and focussed on tomorrow's game. Put it this way, IF contracts are an issue currently, no-one is going to benefit by playing shite.

Regarding Bas - what we've got is two people who are looking after the best interests of their subjects. Kevin Horton is looking after Bas, Dick is looking after the club.

Aside from the public blasting (which is unusual), Dick has been fairly consistent. He made the offer (then increased it by about £6k p.a. seemingly) in line with what the club can afford, and what value Dean Wilkins placed upon him playing-wise, possibly without realising the amount of grief it was going to cause, plus he doesn't want people here who don't want to play for the club.

I don't think a wedge (as Kevin Horton has said) has been driven between Bas and the fans - yet. Most fans know that players come and players go, and that opinions haven't really changed on that score before or since.

What I think most people are concerned about is 'how much truth is there in George's outburst'? Personally, I don't care. If the players put all of their efforts into doing the best they can, that's fine by me. The details of their contracts are none of my business. One thing is sure - his outburst has helped NOBODY's situation, least of all his own.

Last edited:

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
A couple of weeks ago there was a thread on here that most posters agreed with - something along the lines of 'let us know what's going on' - both sides have done just that. They obviously have different opinions as arguments always do.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
even gillingham fans dont rate him, NO ONE ever,except some of our fans,has or will rate him. he has the ball control of a virgin and the first touch of a penguin.
he has one talent--being big clumsy and difficult to predict. that talent will never earn him big money or get him enough goals to play at a higher level than us

all of that but hey..................................he has scored some vital goals or was that someone else dressed like him.................he is at this moment in time what we have and he fits in with the team and they are the ones out there playing.

even gillingham fans dont rate him, NO ONE ever,except some of our fans,has or will rate him. he has the ball control of a virgin and the first touch of a penguin.
he has one talent--being big clumsy and difficult to predict. that talent will never earn him big money or get him enough goals to play at a higher level than us

Actually, I think you are under-rating him there. If left up to him to be a lone striker in a team, he's lacking in several departments. He can't run fast, jump, head a ball, dribble around defences, or make those tricky unpredictable quick moves that leave the opposition for dead.
HOWEVER, he is excellent at shielding the ball, collecting a forward pass, holding it up and laying it off, cropping up in the right places, and linking up between wingers & strikers. He can direct a ball past a keeper, likes passing it into the net, and is un-flustered when surrounded by opposing players. He can be a formidable presence.

So, what that adds up to, and requires for his best game - is a manager who deploys him in the right position, and those around him, to make the best out of his presence - otherwise, he's a lame duck and no mistake.

Whatever he *wants* in order to sign his contract - he ought to measure what is on the table by what the manager and the club has already meant to, and done for him.

Maybe he just needs me to be his agent :cool:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
he is excellent at shielding the ball, collecting a forward pass, holding it up and laying it off, cropping up in the right places, and linking up between wingers & strikers. He can direct a ball past a keeper, likes passing it into the net, and is un-flustered when surrounded by opposing players. He can be a formidable presence.

Agreed. Whilst Revell will give us the workrate, he is not as effective as Bas as a partner for Forster. Its not just Bas's goals - he's also gotten away from defenders a number of times and managed to blunder his way through into the box, generally leaving chaos in his wake and setting up chances - he has that extra bit of confidence and strength on the ball to make things difficult for defenders. We do NOT get that with Revell.

That said, we can't be held to ransom by him and his agent, so if the deals not good enough for him then so be it. But we need an effective replacement, because we will not score as many goals with a Forster - Revell combo in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here