Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't let DK confuse the issues

The Beaconsfield

Aug 17, 2003
The abject performance at Millwall and a loan player criticising the management of the club gave DK a perfectly good platform to go on the front foot over Bas not signing his contract and this deliberate merging of the issues by DK should be seen for what it is, an attempt to once again divert the flak away from himself. DK knows how popular and good Bas has been for the club and without this public and unsavoury attack on Bas he knows that the fans would have been on his case. A chairman going public in this way is undignified and has now resulted in the agent highlighting just how derisory DK's improved offer was.

The fact remains that we do not have a better alternative to Bas, he is far more useful than Robinson, Gatting, Elder etc and most importantly, our leading marksman, Nicky Forster and our captain, have expressed how important they feel Bas is to the team.

We should not let the performance at Millwall and/or the comments by George, whatever you think of them, overshadow the fact that DK used an argus column to undermine a player's relationship with the fans. Why should we expect anything less?

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
bas has a comedy cult status,we al can see he is not the most naturally talented player the albion have ever had,indead he stumbles on a run every now and then that confuses defenders with his natural ineptitude,sometimes,though not very often he gets a goal.
he is shit but he tries,sometimes, and the old moonwalk(or if you are slightly less inept the robot dance) can cover his lack of class.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
even gillingham fans dont rate him, NO ONE ever,except some of our fans,has or will rate him. he has the ball control of a virgin and the first touch of a penguin.
he has one talent--being big clumsy and difficult to predict. that talent will never earn him big money or get him enough goals to play at a higher level than us

The Beaconsfield

Aug 17, 2003
'Hoot at a party' you moron? Anyone who uses a word like 'hoot' shouldn't be a at a party. As for getting off to a flying start, I wasn't aware that I had to get off to a flying start! Hoot at a party....brilliant

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is important that DK & the board lay down the law on the contract front. We must not be seen to be held to ransom with so many players contracts running out at the end of this season. We are not in a position to pay the top bracket of the demands made and that is a clear fact.

The Beaconsfield

Aug 17, 2003
I agree about not being held to ransom, but I am more disapproving of the nature in which it was done. To have 'yes we did' and 'no you didn't' articles on a daily basis in the argus is not the way it should be done and DK should not have resorted to that. Also, it must be relevant that the senior players held him in such high regard.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
What do you propose we do then? Borrow money we can't pay back and go into administration so we can keep the famous Bas Savage? He's not the best player we've got,he never will be. Yes,he needs to be replaced and I'll be sad to see him go but FFS it's not the end of the world is it? Some people really need to get a grip on this whole situation,whats done is done,thanks for the memories Bas but we've got a club to keep going.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
even gillingham fans dont rate him, NO ONE ever,except some of our fans,has or will rate him. he has the ball control of a virgin and the first touch of a penguin.
he has one talent--being big clumsy and difficult to predict. that talent will never earn him big money or get him enough goals to play at a higher level than us

It is quite interesting how suddenly there is this rewriting of history going on.

Bas savage is the one player in our team that could energise the crowd...he was an entertainer....he scored lots of important games that probably kept us in the 3rd division last year ( seems a few people have forgotten that) People reacted when he got the ball, when he jinxed up the wing...etc etc. Yes we all know he was not the best player in the world, we are in the 3rd Divi and are not going to get those sort of players. He is loved by the younger fans who cheered and clapped when he was doing his stuff.

Now , presumably, he has gone.....who is going to replace him, who can entertain the crowd, get them going..........................erm?

Because of the division we are in, we are never going to be world beaters, we hope we win more games than lose ones, we have no money, people deserting the terraces in droves. How do you bring those supporters back...? Personally i think that the worse our predicament gets, the more we need to get players in who will entertain and thrill the crowd. I suggested, tongue in cheek that albion go out and buy/loan two Polish players this season, advertise the fact and get a load of Polish supporters in.....at the fulham friendly their were loads of students there sat by us, to watch Voltz.....they came through the turnstiles and spent money watching one player!!!!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Actually Dave. You could be onto something here.

Say we sign a Japanese player, like Arsenal did (or didn't - the contract was shall we say greyish) with Inamoto. The number of Japs that started watching the Gunners increased. Now Brighton has the largest student Japanese community in Britain - how cool would it be if Gully's girls had one or 2 eastern delights...

200504232159301500_1.JPG

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The abject performance at Millwall and a loan player criticising the management of the club gave DK a perfectly good platform to go on the front foot over Bas not signing his contract and this deliberate merging of the issues by DK should be seen for what it is, an attempt to once again divert the flak away from himself. DK knows how popular and good Bas has been for the club and without this public and unsavoury attack on Bas he knows that the fans would have been on his case. A chairman going public in this way is undignified and has now resulted in the agent highlighting just how derisory DK's improved offer was.

The fact remains that we do not have a better alternative to Bas, he is far more useful than Robinson, Gatting, Elder etc and most importantly, our leading marksman, Nicky Forster and our captain, have expressed how important they feel Bas is to the team.

We should not let the performance at Millwall and/or the comments by George, whatever you think of them, overshadow the fact that DK used an argus column to undermine a player's relationship with the fans. Why should we expect anything less?
Rather than saying 'what a load of cock' (something I do happen to feel is the case with that post), I will simply say I fundamentally disagree with you.

We can argue until we are blue in the face regarding Bas' talents and his worth to the team - I happen to believe that he was not the perfect foil for Forster, and I feel Revell will do better. But your point about Dick trying to drive a wedge between Bas and the fans is quite insulting to the fans' intelligence, and there are times when that is seriously lacking. In effect, you are making out that Dick is telling us what we should think of Bas. Many people on here expressed an opinion on Bas' reluctnce to sign well before Dick made any public pronouncements.

This is NSC, for crying out loud - and it's never short of an opinion or two.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Rather than saying 'what a load of cock' (something I do happen to feel is the case with that post), I will simply say I fundamentally disagree with you.

We can argue until we are blue in the face regarding Bas' talents and his worth to the team - I happen to believe that he was not the perfect foil for Forster, and I feel Revell will do better. But your point about Dick trying to drive a wedge between Bas and the fans is quite insulting to the fans' intelligence, and there are times when that is seriously lacking. In effect, you are making out that Dick is telling us what we should think of Bas. Many people on here expressed an opinion on Bas' reluctnce to sign well before Dick made any public pronouncements.

This is NSC, for crying out loud - and it's never short of an opinion or two.

Al, DK made his money from PR. Are you seriously saying that he didn't know this was going to hit the papers - and has acted accordingly to 'head it off at the pass'?

DK has insulted the fans intelligence on more than one occassion in the past (Turienzo, the reasons for McGhee's sacking to name but two), and to think that he isn't trying to cover himself from a public flogging because he knows of the popularity of Bas is short-sighted.

I actually don't totally disagree with Beaconsfield, and while I think that Bas and his agent are more to blame than they are making out - I also don't think the Chairman is blameless in this public slanging match.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Al, DK made his money from PR. Are you seriously saying that he didn't know this was going to hit the papers - and has acted accordingly to 'head it off at the pass'?

DK has insulted the fans intelligence on more than one occassion in the past (Turienzo, the reasons for McGhee's sacking to name but two), and to think that he isn't trying to cover himself from a public flogging because he knows of the popularity of Bas is short-sighted.

I actually don't totally disagree with Beaconsfield, and while I think that Bas and his agent are more to blame than they are making out - I also don't think the Chairman is blameless in this public slanging match.

But that's the issue. If you reckon Dick thinks there's an issue that needed to be headed off, then I think Bas' popularity is being over-played.

I can't see how, in this instance, the club are getting it in the neck about Bas' contract talks. Everything appeared above-board. An offer was made, not signed, then improved, and still Bas didn't want to sign.

I do disagree not so much with what Dick said, but the fact that he said it. It was unnecessary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here