Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dons 4-1 Brighton

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not A Fake Gerbil said:
The fact that we offered contracts to the 10 youth teamers said it all really about what sort of side we would be putting out.
Funny that, because I though the fact we offered contracts to 10 youth teamers was a mark of how well our youth system is running, the faith the club has in these players and a small form of insurance against other teams coming and cherry-picking any players they want for little or nothing - something the moaners would certainly nip, nip, nip at the club about.

D

Deleted member 2719

seagully said:
TO be fair to 'Mad Dog' he's signed a few decent players in the close season and his animated touchline antics seemed to spur on his players tonight. Don't think he's quite on a par with the other MA though!

Did MM have his arms folded and his teeth showing by any chance!

:lolol:

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
The Large One said:
Funny that, because I though the fact we offered contracts to 10 youth teamers was a mark of how well our youth system is running, the faith the club has in these players and a small form of insurance against other teams coming and cherry-picking any players they want for little or nothing - something the moaners would certainly nip, nip, nip at the club about.

Well we read that differently then.

To me it said that we weren't going out to get anyone in the summer because we've now got all these extra pros on the books and we'll have to make do with them.

Granted the youth team did well but taking on 10 of them was the cheap option.

I hope some of them do well this season but I can't see all of them making an impact,Some of the money used on some of the youth together with some of the wages saved from letting the other players go would have been better used to get a proven strker in,because what we've got up front is worrying.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not A Fake Gerbil said:
Well we read that differently then.

To me it said that we weren't going out to get anyone in the summer because we've now got all these extra pros on the books and we'll have to make do with them.
Do you honestly think that the management team is that stupid, and the board of directors that gullible to allow even six or seven youth teamers to be the backbone of any promotion effort this coming season? Wilkins would be tearing what's left of his hair out watching last season's youth teamers' morale take a terminal southerly dive if that happened.

Not A Fake Gerbil said:
Granted the youth team did well but taking on 10 of them was the cheap option.
Hardly cheap, we know have quite a large playing squad. Unfortunately, just not that experienced.

Not A Fake Gerbil said:
I hope some of them do well this season but I can't see all of them making an impact,Some of the money used on some of the youth together with some of the wages saved from letting the other players go would have been better used to get a proven strker in,because what we've got up front is worrying.
Largely agreed. It's why some players (Gatting, Fraser, Lynch) have three-year contracts, some two and others only one. The youth team set up is partially funded by the government under the youth training scheme. It used to be for three years, but is now only two, so most of that lot would normally have been still youth team players this season under the old method, whereas now they are at make-or-break (one year too early the club feels). The club cannot afford to rn the scheme unilaterally for that third year, so it is taking a big chance on them, but by the same token, the club also feels most of them still have something possibly to offer, hence the retention of their contracts.

1066gull

I cannot take another piss poor season of 'Why dont you support a f***ing decent team like Manchester United' at college:nono:

algie said:
The only teams we have beaten are shit sides.Colchester have no manager and are going through major changes so we caught them at the right time.Play any stable PROVEN side ie Le Harve MK Dons and we get thumped.So how far have we really come from last year?
Sorry, you can't just write off our performance at Colchester like that just because it doesn't fit your downbeat mood. The U's have also signed a decent forward like Cureton in the close season.

Silent Bob said:
arguably better players like Nicolas, McPhee, hell even McCammon, as well as getting rid of someone like Jarrett but keeping a dud like Loft.

You're still not banging on about Nicolas when he couldn't even get in at Rotherham!

And McPhee! FFS :jester:

And the amount of times you SLAGGED McCammon while he was here :rolleyes:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Adriodinho said:
I cannot take another piss poor season of 'Why dont you support a f***ing decent team like Manchester United' at college:nono:

F**k em boy! At least your not a glory boy footie fan.

seagully said:
We need to sign a natural left back. Reid just isn't up to it. I rate him as a midfielder but definitely not as a left back

What? He was our best player tonight! If you'd have said OGH looked out of sorts, I could understand.

Mouldy Boots said:
I thought maybe we were going back to basics by giving players confidence on the ball by playing a passing game judging by the movement off the ball at Bognor and Worthing?

Was it really route one football?

???

I actually thought we played the better football for the first 35 mins and had the better shape, so I would say it was too simplistic to say it was just route one by us tonight. For a lot of that time, there was little sign of the disaster to come.

What we were appalling at was defending their fast-breaking attacks from then on, where they were just able to break our offside trap at will. We just crumbled - which is unfortunately what can happen when you are relying on young heads.

So a bit more nous and experience brought into the central defence by McGhee clearly is a must.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
I'd settle for mid table this season if we can bring some of our youngsters through. Can't comment on last nights game because I wasn't there but the games I have seen where our youth has played gives me hope. I'm hoping that Fraser, Chamberlain and Cox get a chance this year because they look like quality players that could not just play L1 but higher. If we get in mediocre players with a bit more experience we will limit youth team chances. We do need that elusive target man with a bit of experience to supplement our young but talented front line, and fingers crossed Mcghee gets his man before the window shuts. We have to trust he is doing everything he can in this respect. At the back we have been very unlucky with injuries but if we get a loan signing in and once big Guy is back we'll be OK. Lynch and El Abd at full back should be mustard at L1 level.
Brittain is a tricky one 0- bit of a poor mans Beckham - great crosser but no pace to get past his man. I would go for him though. Cox has been very good though pre season and desrves a chance in the side so maybe thats the reason Mcghee is not commiting just yet.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Silent Bob said:
Indeed.

We lost our best defender (although he wasn't really ours) and our best striker (although he wasn't really ours), signed up arguably our worst player from last season (Chippy :(), a player who played less than 20 games and is not trusted in his prefered position (Mayo) and a 33 year old with a broken ankle (Oatway), a 35 year old who looked past it at the end of the season (Butters) while letting go younger, arguably better players like Nicolas, McPhee, hell even McCammon, as well as getting rid of someone like Jarrett but keeping a dud like Loft.

We clearly needed AT LEAST three proven additions, so far none are forthcoming, we turned down Bagayoko when it's obvious we need defenders, especially full backs, all the other trialists bar Brittain have been hopeless.

Absolutely spot on.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
London Irish said:
I actually thought we played the better football for the first 35 mins. We just crumbled - which is unfortunately what can happen when you are relying on young heads.

I was once told by a professional coach that youngsters can have all the talent in the world, but have no experience of how to run a game.

Unpredictable collapse can ensue when conceding a goal typified by dropping of heads.

Equally the same collapse can sometimes occur after scoring one. Apparently you can see the questioning running through the team. "Christ, what do we do now, continue attacking and get another or defend the lead?".

Its then you need experienced pros with leadership qualities to pull them through the sticky periods:( :(

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sorry but until Dick TIght loosens the purse strings just a tad we will not sign anybody apart from loan signings
Why is everyone blaming magoo when the chairman clearly still want him hear....:glare: :glare:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
portslade seagull said:
Sorry but until Dick TIght loosens the purse strings just a tad we will not sign anybody apart from loan signings
Why is everyone blaming magoo when the chairman clearly still want him hear....:glare: :glare:

If you read Harty's message on another thread the inference is that DK no longer controls the purse strings but is now reliant on the Bloom family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here