Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Doncaster intense.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Weird how I remember almost nothing about the game. The banner thing that the Doncaster players held towards the Brighton fans during the warm up, and the sendings off, the rain, and the pitch invasion ... all that. But very little else.

Mind you I'm like that after most games these days. Half the time I can't even remember the half time score.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
With Hereford the following weekend, it really was a double header of roller coaster emotions.

I'm really gutted, as my Dad (who never went, but knew the club meant a lot to me) took his video camera to the ground during the week before, got in and took loads of footage. Then on the last game day, he video'd me and my friends outside, and the queues to get in etc. I now have the video camera, and all the tapes, but no footage. I have a feeling my ex brother-in-law borrowed the camera and taped over it with some footage of a local pub band in Norfolk - how could he!

If anyone knows if it's retrievable, let me know! It literally would make my year to get that footage back.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
What a day - great video.

The referee looks about 14

I don't remember much. The rain, the goal, the sending-offs - the pitch invasion, not much else.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I wasn't there, but that pitch invasion a few minutes before the final whistle could have been close to disastrous if they took a bit longer to get back.

It was quite funny the players sprinting of the pitch when the actual full time whistle went:lol:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
That piece of music at the end of the video still haunts me, ......................., don't know what that music was but the tune remains floating around the noodle as clear today as it was then.

It's called The Carnival Is Over, it was a big hit for The Seekers in the mid-60's.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think those who say "Wasn't the Goldstone great?" or "I prefer lower league football to the Prem" are the ones who really need to watch it.

I thought The Goldstone was great.
I watched that game as I was there, and watched almost every game that season, it wasn’t really about the quality of football that season.

I thought The Goldstone was great well before that season, doesn’t mean I don’t like The Amex or watching the Albion in the PL.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I thought The Goldstone was great.
I watched that game as I was there, and watched almost every game that season, it wasn’t really about the quality of football that season.

I thought The Goldstone was great well before that season, doesn’t mean I don’t like The Amex or watching the Albion in the PL.

No, I accept that, I was there as well (and had been a Goldstone regular since 1966). It was more a dig at those who are on record as saying they preferred life outside the Prem, and that the Goldstone was always some packed cauldron of noise with 'real' fans and the Amex can't match it. Rose -tinted spectacles. That game shows the stark reality of the 'non-PL experience' - and the atmosphere was actually better that day than it had been for many years as we were all supporting the team.

But Jeez, I'm glad we are where we are now. I never want to go back to lower league football (even though we probably will) and more than that I hope the Amex never becomes a run-down shithole like the Goldstone was. And let's face it, it wasn't just in that final season, it had been decaying for years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's called The Carnival Is Over, it was a big hit for The Seekers in the mid-60's.

I was at that game and I remember how emotional it was. I can’t remember it being played but what an inspired choice of song for the last game at the Goldstone :bowdown:

Decades on listening to that I just got something in my eye

https://youtu.be/z4ZipKdI1sY

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here