Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doing 40 Years in Prison

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The youngest of the would be bombers was 26 I believe. Can you imagine knowing at 26 that you are going to serve a minimum of forty years inside!

My cheery question to NSC therefore is, could you do forty years or would you top yourself instead? Personally I don't know, but suicide would certainly be a consideration.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I could do however I cannot think of any reason why I would get a 40 year jail sentence.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
:thud: It's not about whether you as a person would get a forty year jail term etc. etc. it's whether you think you could deal with forty years of confinement and coming out when you are a pensioner having gone in as a young man.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
someone i work with his brothers father in law did 22 years. just got out around easter time, completely institutionalised and is now having some sort of breakdown. i sort of feel bad for him. he did the crime, served his time and i don't know where he goes from now. how can someone pick up and have a life after so long. i know that is not really the point but i just feel bad for him.

no i don't think i could do 40 years. my baby would be forty years old when i was up for possible release. hopefully i never have reason to face a forty year term inside. haven't been alive myself for that length of time yet.

i wonder about the one who has children. how can you pick those children up, take them to visit daddy, tell them daddy was a baddy or cut him off completely, wait til the kids are older and can choose for themselves.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Really doubt I could handle it, also doubt I could do whats required to get a 40 year tarriffed sentance - Treason here.

Although in theory it could be "easy" to get it - causing death by dangerous driving of a police officer on duty could be classed as murder of an officer of the state...

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was thinking exactly the same thing today. Spooky.

Just imagine. No more Sunday lie-ins then a walk then a roast with the family. No more looking forward to Friday evening. No more girlfriend or wife or boyfriend to wake up next to. No taking your kids down the park. Never seeing the sea again. No more mundane things like having a bath when you want, falling asleep on the sofa.

Jesus - the thought of it makes me think that the death penalty is the easy way out compared to that.

Imagine 40 years ago ...

Your last memory of watching the Albion would have been a 1-1 draw against Middlesbrough at the Goldstone, in a crucial game for both clubs.

The single point was enough to ensure that Middlesbrough won promotion from the Third Division and the Albion survived, just above the relegation zone.

I wonder whether the result was fixed.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
What about the prisoners given life WITHOUT any chance of parole? Knowing you WILL die in prison and you will NEVER get out. That's when it must do your head in.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
I was thinking exactly the same thing today. Spooky.

Just imagine. No more Sunday lie-ins then a walk then a roast with the family. No more looking forward to Friday evening. No more girlfriend or wife or boyfriend to wake up next to. No taking your kids down the park. Never seeing the sea again. No more mundane things like having a bath when you want, falling asleep on the sofa.

Jesus - the thought of it makes me think that the death penalty is the easy way out compared to that.

Same here. Just think going in a young man with your whole life ahead of you and possibly coming out when you are eligible for a bus pass. I'm gonna be 60 years old when they get the chance to get out of the clink. Shocking.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Same here. Just think going in a young man with your whole life ahead of you and possibly coming out when you are eligible for a bus pass. I'm gonna be 60 years old when they get the chance to get out of the clink. Shocking.

40 years? Since when did the UK courts start giving out those lengths of sentences? I expected a "life sentence", out in 10 years on license.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
The youngest of the would be bombers was 26 I believe. Can you imagine knowing at 26 that you are going to serve a minimum of forty years inside!

My cheery question to NSC therefore is, could you do forty years or would you top yourself instead? Personally I don't know, but suicide would certainly be a consideration.

In all honesty they probably wont do 40 yrs

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
As far as I understand there aren't many people in prison, maybe no more than 50, who will never be released and most are detained under the Mental Health Act. We are talking about people like Peter Sutcliffe and Ian Huntley who are being detained for their own good as much as those on the outside, the crimes they committed were more a result of Mental Health issues than of criminal intent, if released they would more than likely be murdered by members of the public.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'd put the time to good use, writing novels, furthering my education and ensuring romance blossoms in the showers.
"Anyone who has been to an English public school will always feel comparatively at home in prison." Evelyn Waugh (OL)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think the prospect of 40 years in the cell with Big "I'm going to give you a very sore botty" Ron might have you reaching for the razor blades.

If you have ever been to a prison visiting area - there are few more depressing places on this earth - so whether you want to put your children through it - I don't know.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Chances are that there four 'gentlemen' will spend the first part of their sentence on 'Rule 43' for their own protection. That puts them in with the sex offenders and weirdos, not a good place to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here