Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog help.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Should find that size is a factor although Barney should prevail as he was there first. Best thing is to try and introduce them before you take the new dog home. However, I had a small collie cross and then got a much bigger Bearded Collie cross as well. I came home from work not long after we got the second do to find the smaller dog chewing vigorously on him. I nearly had a heart attack only for my then wife to tell me that they'd been playing like that all day and neither was too bothered. They were devoted to each other in the end and the smaller dog used to win fights that the bigger one got into.

I doubt that you'll have any serious problems as long as you treat them both the same.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we had a Heinz 57 ( collie, whippet etc) and then got a Doberwoman . . . . they f***ing trashed the place :lolol:

as they got older ( they where about 6 months old each !!!) Tania the Doberwoman calmed down and Emma the heinz dog remained incredibly destructive, to the point we had to get rid of her (destrying doors and frames)

the 2 of them got on absolutely fine together though, once the initial formalities where dealt with ( sniffs etc!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As express says, you have to let the dogs sort it out.
The fighting biting etc, is just all part & parcel of being in a pack. When they are sorted & alpha male has be worked out, you have to reinforce that by, feeding 1st, putting lead on (taking off) 1st, letting Alpha in & out 1st after you of cause!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Stupidest thing with my dogs was that the local cats would always run away from my bigger dog thinking, not unreasonably, that he was the bigger threat. Big mistake ! The bigger dog didn't have a clue wereas the smeller bitch had a pathalogical hatred of all things feline and she was good at ducking claws. Several local moggies got a serious chewing.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
s.stubbs said:
I have a Staffi cross called Barney(star of one F in falmer).
We are thinking of adopting another from the RSPCA in Patcham.Any advice please on how to tackle dominance and bullying issues.Sensible answers first please,predictable later ,thanks.

Yes, you must become the leader of the pack and stamp down on anything that you see. :smokin:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
s.stubbs said:
Any advice please on how to tackle dominance
Build a dungeon in your cellar, get loads of leather, pvc etc.....

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Make sure they are introduced to each other at a neutral venue....down the park etc. Let them have a run about and then bring them back home together so they are reasonably familliar with each other....preferably for a few hours.

Bring them both indoors at the same time and take them into the garden together. Hopefully they'll get on.

Good luck

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here