Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does this man have no shame - St James Park renamed (Merged)

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Last edited:

Without Limits

Jan 14, 2007
Lewes Road Area
With the new finance rules coming in it seems clubs are looking at this sort of thing to say they generate the money they are spending.

Man City did a 'highly over the top' deal. Think it will be the norm in the next couple of years.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I genuinely have no problem with this. Whats the problem? The fans will still call it St. James' Park and the club rakes in millions!

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I don't think that we have much of a leg to stand on here. Most people seem more than happy to call Falmer the Amex. What happens when eventually American Express do not renew their sponsorship deal? Which is why we should all call it Falmer.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Who is the millions coming from?

They don't know yet - it's a temporary gimmick to attract a long term sponsor for the ground. But as said the fans will still call it St James's. At least they didn't have their ground sold behind their backs by wankers to pay off interest payments. It's probably a good time to do it too, while they are still doing well.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
How do we not have a leg to stand on, we are in a brand new stadium in a brand new area.

They have been called that for 100years and now there not. The money side of things is crap as ashley owns sport direct. And the timing is mental to do it mental.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
They don't know yet - it's a temporary gimmick to attract a long term sponsor for the ground. But as said the fans will still call it St James's. At least they didn't have their ground sold behind their backs by wankers to pay off interest payments. It's probably a good time to do it too, while they are still doing well.

So you believe the temporary gimmick rubbish from Ashley.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
So you believe the temporary gimmick rubbish from Ashley.

I presume you think the stadium is going to permanently stay as Sports Direct name? You don't think it's just a short term gimmick? He gets some cheap advertising, puts up with the fans anger for a while (nothing new there) and then backs down. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I presume you think the stadium is going to permanently stay as Sports Direct name? You don't think it's just a short term gimmick? He gets some cheap advertising, puts up with the fans anger for a while (nothing new there) and then backs down. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Permanently probably not as he keeps putting the club up for sale then taking it down, but i dont think it will be renamed again while Ashley is owning it.

The timing is mental also 3rd in the League, and things going well, now there is going to have protests and all sorts at the ground, the man is a complete knob head.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Permanently probably not as he keeps putting the club up for sale then taking it down, but i dont think it will be renamed again while Ashley is owning it.

The timing is mental also 3rd in the League, and things going well, now there is going to have protests and all sorts at the ground, the man is a complete knob head.

Oh, come on. Before this story emerged, you thought of Ashley as a complete knobhead. Now you are just selectively drawing on the bits of the story that serve to reinforce your viewpoint.

He's the owner of a club that is third in the Premier League, defying most pre-season predictions, and yet you use that as a stick to beat him with.

I don't think it's even slightly permanent - I'd imagine Sports Direct (being owned by Ashley) aren't paying anything (or at least very little) for the sponsorship - the idea is that he's trying to get other companies interested in paying for the stadium name. Like the Amex or the Emirates.

I don't really understand the problem - the fans will still call it St James' Park (just as I'd imagine Man City fans still call it the City of Manchester stadium rather than the Etihad stadium) and the club can make some money from it.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Oh, come on. Before this story emerged, you thought of Ashley as a complete knobhead. Now you are just selectively drawing on the bits of the story that serve to reinforce your viewpoint.

He's the owner of a club that is third in the Premier League, defying most pre-season predictions, and yet you use that as a stick to beat him with.

I dont see your point your sitting 3rd in the league things are going well you have only just won the fans semi back over who last season were calling for your head, so what do you go and do, you change the name of the stadium that has been there 100 years to your own company.

Toon are 3rd but in a few weeks time after there next 3 games i think we will see there true strength, as i said in my opening post there yet to play a team in the top half, so i accept there going well but its not actually as good as it looks.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I don't think it's even slightly permanent - I'd imagine Sports Direct (being owned by Ashley) aren't paying anything (or at least very little) for the sponsorship - the idea is that he's trying to get other companies interested in paying for the stadium name. Like the Amex or the Emirates.

I don't really understand the problem - the fans will still call it St James' Park (just as I'd imagine Man City fans still call it the City of Manchester stadium rather than the Etihad stadium) and the club can make some money from it.

Thats totally different though isnt it there stadiums that were built with no history, and were new and open to stadium sponsorship, this is a ground thats been called it for 100 years and is now being changed to sort Ashley pocket yet again, like when he slapped the idiotic price tag on the club when he was trying to sell it.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
How do we not have a leg to stand on, we are in a brand new stadium in a brand new area.

They have been called that for 100years and now there not. The money side of things is crap as ashley owns sport direct. And the timing is mental to do it mental.

I can see your point re new stadium/new area however there is still a something that sticks in my throat about about the corporate branding of football stadia simply because it is never permanent. You are 100% right that NUFC have an established ground with a name that represents an intrinsic part of their tradition and history. We might have a new ground in a new area but we are building a tradition for the next 100 years and most don't seem to care that we associating this part of the club's footballing history to a name that could well not be around in a few years (in terms of sponsorship). So we might scoff at Ashley's knobishness and lack of respect for their tradition but we are more than happy to buy completely into the tie up of fickle corporate sponsorship with our ground just because it is new and, presumbly, that's just the way it is these days.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Don't get the problem richer clubs than Newcastle have done it or are looking to do it. Who cares, the fans will still call in St James

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here