Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does the massive overspend on the 2004 Olympic games....

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Have anything to do with the Greeks current boat trip up shit creek?

And does that bode well for us in 2012?

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Nah, I'm not sure the overspend on Sydney 2000 has much to do with it... 2004 may have, mind.

In all seriousness, I don't think it is related, the Greek economy is so unorganised that losing a few billion on the Olympics is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Well if one as wise as you doesn't know Al.......gawd help us all:facepalm:

And apologies for the year error, which has now been corrected

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wouldn't have helped I suppose.

But early retirement on massive pensions, the sheer numbers working in the public sector, and the fact that more than half the country are EXPERT tax-dodgers seems to be the driving factors. The tax threshold there is €12,000, so fasands of them declare earnings under that threshold and pay absolutely bugger all to the state.

There is (serious) talk of using satellite images to spot the swimming pools in the back gardens for the residents supposedly declaring under 12k in earnings.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In 1995 wife and I drove to Cyprus for 4 months and in so doing stopped off in Greece for a week. Whilst there,talking in the hotel bar,a chap predicted this scenario and said that they were already in the sh1t as they had had EU100m given by the EU to build an airport just outside of Athens and the money had disappearred. The question about the airport came up because from the airport in Athens it sounds as if the planes are taking off in the High Street.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Not really.

What they paid for the Olympics is a drop in the ocean compared to their bloated Public Sector, Huge pensions and low retirement age for Public Sector Workers, as well as their ability to dodge taxes. (Although the fact that the pool, veladrome and gymnastics halls are unused is a scandal)

We go to Greece every year, and they openly talk about how they don't pay (hardly) any income tax.

I once had reason to visit a Dentist in Naxos, and when it was time to pay, I aked if I could use my Credit Card. No way said the Dentist - then they would have to declare the Income.

Perhaps if they didn't spend more than any other EU Country on their Military (4% of GDP) then the problem wouldn't be quite so bad.

I can still see them defaulting and leaving the Euro.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Even before the present serious financial situation I saw no reason to bid for the games as it is clear that it will be many years before the costs are cleared which of course were much higher than estimated. Many of the stadiums,swimming pools etc will in time become disused due to councils being unable to support them.
The majority will only watch the events on TV so it matters little where they take place.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Nah just another government thinking they had an open check book and pissing money away like water, no Olympics ever makes a profit (other than the USA because they are so into advertising/marketing etc). We all know the Olympics in London will be a financial millstone around the taxpayers neck, the general population don't really give a monkeys about all the olympic sports but might watch the 100 metres final on TV, only a football tournament would make money because we already have the stadiums spending billions to build new ones is just the government showing off how rich we are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here