Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does the internet on your phone work at 30,000 feet?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Not sure that's definitely the case. The example of those passengers ringing out as their flight was being flown towards the White House on 9/11 springs to mind.

Mind you if you get caught using your phone in the air....

I think they were lower down, It may or may not work and I doubt Squeezyjet will have WiFi being a budget airline n'all.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I think they were lower down, It may or may not work and I doubt Squeezyjet will have WiFi being a budget airline n'all.

Even if they do it will be a chargeable extra :)

The Easyjet plane I flew on last week didn't even have the technology to spot turbulence ahead and as a result we were thrown about like buggers. Situation not helped by the female pilot sounding audibly rattled. :ohmy: :ohmy:

So I'd be surprised if they have any contact with the ground at all. More likely the first officer just sits there with an atlas, pointing which way to go. :jester:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...err, I didn't think you were allowed to use a mobile phone whilst in the air as it might interfere with the navigation equipment on the plane...unless of course you don't really want to reach the destination printed on your ticket!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
...err, I didn't think you were allowed to use a mobile phone whilst in the air as it might interfere with the navigation equipment on the plane...unless of course you don't really want to reach the destination printed on your ticket!

Could end up somewhere nicer ya know, or Biggleswade.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I was thinking of somewhere more like...taking a dip in the sea or impacted in the side of a mountain!

Lets be honest if that was the potential outcome, you would have to hand your mobile in before take off and not leave it to chance that the passenger will obey the rules.

marshallmercury

Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
maybe if you ask the captain nicely he will circle the ground for 90mins and if you can get a window seat then you could get a birds eye view of the game. :thumbsup:

i think the best option is to get a mate to text you the result and when you land and turn your phone back on/or get a signal, you should get the text not long after.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Lets be honest if that was the potential outcome, you would have to hand your mobile in before take off and not leave it to chance that the passenger will obey the rules.

Very true, or evade the eagle eyes of the stewards...there will still be numpties who sneak off to the khazi for a quick smoke, despite all the warnings.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ha ha ...no easyjet!

Easyjet flights are always f***ing late, so no doubt you'll be delayed and be able to get the results from the ground.

i think the best option is to get a mate to text you the result and when you land and turn your phone back on/or get a signal, you should get the text not long after.

Just after the text from Vodafone/O2/Orange, saying something along the lines of "Welcome abroad. Prepare to be financially raped up the arse for the duration of your trip".

Easyjet flights are always f***ing late, so no doubt you'll be delayed and be able to get the results from the ground.

They always take off late, but nearly always arrive on time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They always take off late, but nearly always arrive on time.

Not from my experience. In the past 2 years I've taken the Gatwick-Berlin evening flight 13 times. 11 times it has been over an hour late in arriving. The flight has a rediculous daily schedule which it doesnt have a hope in hell of keeping to. By the time it gets to evening all the various little hold ups have accumulated and make for one big and annoying late arrival.

Not from my experience. In the past 2 years I've taken the Gatwick-Berlin evening flight 13 times. 11 times it has been over an hour late in arriving. The flight has a rediculous daily schedule which it doesnt have a hope in hell of keeping to. By the time it gets to evening all the various little hold ups have accumulated and make for one big and annoying late arrival.

Fair dos. I try to always get early flights so I suppose less opportunity for such a build up.

The only really 'bad' experience I've had with Easyjet was last year when they overbooked our flight back from Corfu and we had to fly back the next day. I say 'bad' because they put us in a 5 star hotel with meals and drinks, and gave us €400 compensation each (as well as the obvious extra day in Corfu).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair dos. I try to always get early flights so I suppose less opportunity for such a build up.

The only really 'bad' experience I've had with Easyjet was last year when they overbooked our flight back from Corfu and we had to fly back the next day. I say 'bad' because they put us in a 5 star hotel with meals and drinks, and gave us €400 compensation each (as well as the obvious extra day in Corfu).

Good point about the early flights. I use the first flight on Monday a lot and this is rarely late.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Are you going to ask the cabin crew/captain to see if you can get the half time scores fro withdean and carlisle???

Mendoza mentioned about 3g aswell, al might not be lost yet!

No, I'm going to wait until we arrive and rely on the text reports.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I thought it was illegal to even have you phone switched on a plane ?
£1000 fine or so i thought.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Has anyone else ever tried to gain this sort of information?

mate of mine sent a text from his phone when at 30k..........only problem is, cant remember if it worked:blush:!!! Cant you put phone on flight mode and used that function??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here