Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does the comapny you work for have

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
annoying "live the values" type stuff and do you have to go along with it all?

Also is being realistic seen as being negative?

Last edited:

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Unfortunately, turning up for work and doing your job isn't enough these days. You have to 'play the game'.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Unfortunately, turning up for work and doing your job isn't enough these days. You have to 'play the game'.

Indeed and around 5 more years left to play, meeting my 4th new manager this year on Tuesday - happy days

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You mean stuff like this?

"We are Brighton and we've got an identity. We play one way - it doesn't matter where or against who. The players who play for the first team and the reserves play the way I want the team to play. If we can build from it it will be amazing."

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield

Exactly, I voiced my concerns over the latest "fantastic" idea last week with valid reasons and alternatives to then be pulled to one side later a be told that i was being negative only satisfaction i may get it is when it invariably goes wrong but i'll then have to sort it out and won't be allowed to say " I told you do so"

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Why is it unreasonable for your employer to expect an employee to behave the way they expect (ie represent the brand they have invested in and keeps you in a job) in return for the money they pay you?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Why is it unreasonable for your employer to expect an employee to behave the way they expect (ie represent the brand they have invested in and keeps you in a job) in return for the money they pay you?

THIS

I can confirm that I have managed a number of people who are and always will be high performers, but if you match them up to typical behaviours expected in the work place, theywould never become "leaders".

Values and Behaviours are a neccessity to identify people with potential and also to guide people on how to behave in a place of wortk and not a school yard.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Realism and negativity are two different things.

If your "realism" came across as "that's a crap idea and it will never work", then that is negativity. If it came across as "that's an interesting idea but can I suggest that we amend it slightly", then that is positive and shows that you are buying into the idea.

I would imagine from what you have written that you came across as the former.

The best slogan I have ever seen was the effort by a county council to the west of Sussex to get everyone in the area to do something about reducing waste and increase recycling. It was printed on the envelope of every item of correspondence that they sent out. Somehow it didn't quite hit the button ...

HAMPSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL - THINK WASTE

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Realism and negativity are two different things.

If your "realism" came across as "that's a crap idea and it will never work", then that is negativity. If it came across as "that's an interesting idea but can I suggest that we amend it slightly", then that is positive and shows that you are buying into the idea.

I would imagine from what you have written that you came across as the former.

You are correct,but by God ,I have heard some shite spouted by individuals and companies during my career.......all in the name of positivity!
Thankfully,now retired but having,at various times, been employee,company director and self employed!

Last edited:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Feck the Blue Box. I'm sure many on here will know what I'm talking about.

Especially when certain VPs in the past have demonstrated behaviours that are clearly not in accordance with said values.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
You are correct,but by God ,I have heard some shite spouted by individuals and companies during my career.......all in the name of positivity!
Thankfully,now retired but having,at various times, been employee,company director and self employed!

:lolol:

As have I. Am self employed now and the worrying part is when the shite being spouted comes from your own mouth!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
THIS

I can confirm that I have managed a number of people who are and always will be high performers, but if you match them up to typical behaviours expected in the work place, theywould never become "leaders".

Values and Behaviours are a neccessity to identify people with potential and also to guide people on how to behave in a place of wortk and not a school yard.

Er, what?

All companies have it, fortunately I am no longer part of that particular scene.

I guess like a good many I got sick to the back teeth of the usual "buzzword b******s" that most organisations seen duty bound to come out with. Fortunately I will never again (I hope) have to have it explained to me why geese fly in the particular formation they do and how it relates to my job, or watch that profoundly irritating video about the fish market in Seattle as an example of customer services (those who have seen it will know the one I mean).

I am still oblivious as to what "building a straw man" had to do with anything (one of my bosses had this as a favourite expression), I guess like many I didn't have the guts to put my hand up and say "...what the f**K does that mean, can I have it in English please".

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Corporate bollocks is for twats and those who spout it should die.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I am self employed now but you do see re-organisations happen almost annually with companies you have long standing relationships with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here