Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does size matter?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
It only matters to the opposition. "With respect, we should be beating teams like Brighton" is more common than "it's like our cup final", so we certainly aren't a big club. Anyone who thinks we are is deluded. Are Swansea a big club? Reading? Wigan? Charlton?

Yes, we're on the up, but the last thing we won was the 3rd division.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It only matters if you are obsessed with allegedly 'Plastic' fans or if your club has to plaster posters advertising their existance all over their neighbourhood.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Mostly we're small big club that's medium-ly small, except when we play a big small club, then we're small big small.

Always think of us as bigger than blackpool,bolton,blackburn,reading type clubs but not a big club like man u,man city,spurs,chelsea liverpool,arsenal bracket!
# Probaly in the bristol city,pompey,southampton cardiff bracket.but we have a great opportunity to grow with our catchment area,if the stadium can grow and the club keep prices competitive tickets,food,beer etc we could become bigger than the brizzies,pompey type clubs! But we are gonna have to welcome alot of plastics and remold them into proper fans!:moo:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Big or small it's mainly about the fanbase. I would say that even the smallest 'big' club would have an average attendance of at least 20-25000 and a ground that could take at least 35-40000. On that basis the big clubs are the London 3 (possibly also West Ham), Manchester 2, Liverpool 2, Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland and Leeds. We're at the level below - or will be when we increase the capacity.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am not sure how wide we are but I have been reliably informed width is better than length.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I think we are turning from a small size club, into a bracket just above that. I think what I mean is teams like Palace, Pompey, Bizzle city, Reading, Watford. We are growing and going in the right direction, but no way are we even one of the biggest clubs in the Championship.

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield
Big or small it's mainly about the fanbase. I would say that even the smallest 'big' club would have an average attendance of at least 20-25000 and a ground that could take at least 35-40000. On that basis the big clubs are the London 3 (possibly also West Ham), Manchester 2, Liverpool 2, Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland and Leeds. We're at the level below - or will be when we increase the capacity.

This, although I think the average attendance would need to be 30,000 and above.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The size of a club is generally history of honours and crowds weighed up with current crowds.

Much like our history, size wise we would be lower champ / upper L1 level.

Most clubs in Championship will view us as a small club where as most L1 clubs will see us a bigger club than them

With the new ground and moving forward, we could become a lower Prem / upper champ size club. Similar to say West Brom who are muchmuch bigger than us historically. Prob take 20 years for the change though, for example to me Reading are only now starting to lose small club perception

edit..............................change the West Brom thing, looking at Wiki they are clearly a very very big club. Perhaps we could be a Fulham size wise

Last edited:

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Sunderland has got a much smaller pop than the Brighton and yet they have got this big stadium that makes them a so called big club. The bigger the stadium the bigger your club are percieved to be. We need to expand the ground asap so that we will become a bigger club in the eyes of other fans. Clubs with 30k+ stadia have a higher standing in the football pyramid.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
We are a football club, whose supporters have, I hate to say, got too big for their boots. As a previous poster said, we've won nothing apart from L1 .

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Always think of us as bigger than blackpool,bolton,blackburn,reading type clubs but not a big club like man u,man city,spurs,chelsea liverpool,arsenal bracket!
# Probaly in the bristol city,pompey,southampton cardiff bracket.but we have a great opportunity to grow with our catchment area,if the stadium can grow and the club keep prices competitive tickets,food,beer etc we could become bigger than the brizzies,pompey type clubs! But we are gonna have to welcome alot of plastics and remold them into proper fans!:moo:

You know this plastics thing has been done to death, both you and I can remember 30,000 crowds at the Goldstone. Granted they weren't the norm but neither is our current league position or performances let alone have a great stadium. Try as some people might to get nostalgic about the Goldstone it really was not a good stadium.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here