Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does life exist elsewhere in the universe?

vic123

Feb 13, 2013
I believe that life does exist elsewhere but I do not believe that said life is more advanced than we are.

There are around half a billion stars in our galaxy and around a billion galaxies in our observable universe. Cosmologists have stated that there are more stars in our universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches on the Earth. Is our star unique? Are we to believe that life exists around just one of those grains and not around any of the others?

The ingredients for life are to be found everywhere. Observations have found that the early universe was filled with large stars known as blue giant stars. When these stars died they exploded into cataclysmic fireballs known as super nova. The largest of these explosions, called type 1 A, forged the heaviest elements and then expelled them into the cosmos. These early stars did not live for very long, a few million years in some cases. This means that small rocky planets like Earth were, by and large, not being formed in the early universe. The cosmos was instead spending its' energy creating heavy, life giving elements and flooding space with them. This was happening everywhere. The processes that led to creation ie, the big bang, fusion etc occured everywhere. By everywhere, I don't just mean in the space between stars and galaxies, I mean in the very space around you. Cup your hands in front of you now. You're holding onto a piece of space where the big bang happened!

Of course, I accept that just because the universe is very uniform in nature it doesn't necessarily follow that life giving planets exist around every star. Indeed, the odds are against life existing in any point in space. In order to have life you need: (among other things) a planet that can have liquid water on its' surface, a parent star that will remain stable for billions of years, no life destroying asteroid impacts, a moon big enough to hold a stable axis, seasons (if you want ambitious, migratory animals,) and time. The odds against life could be a billion to one. Even so, there are still enough stars in our universe to realistically harbour a billion life giving planets!

Great! But if this is all true then why can't we see anyone else when we look out into space? Why is it all so quiet?

The answer is, in part, the same answer to the question, why doesn't every line of sight end on a star or a point of light? If the universe is so vast then surely the night sky should be filled with stars? So why isn't it? Huh? you tell me that! WHY?!?!?

Ok, OK I'll tell you! The point is that in reality, every line of sight DOES end on a point of light. It's just that, since our universe has been expanding from the start and the space between objects has been growing nonstop the light from these distant objects hasn't had a chance to reach us yet. The speed of light can never out run the expansion of the universe because the expansion rate is always increasing and the speed of light is a constant. Galaxy clusters are bound together by gravity and so the space between them is not expanding but on the largest scale every point is moving away from every other point. This means that no matter where you are in universe you'll always percieve yourself as being in the absolute center. Eventually the most distant objects will disappear beyond the light horizon forever. Does that mean they no longer exist? Well, no it doesn't. It will mean that they'll be lost to us forever but they'll still exist out there somewhere. So, in some sense, there will be potential life out there that we'll never be able to contact, purely because of the rules of physics.

Imagine that you're looking through a telescope at a distant galaxy. The galaxy is near the edge of our universe and as a result it appears primordial, undeveloped and young. You could say something like, "Look, that galaxy is filled with large stars. There is no way that there is life over there, what with all the explosions and such. If I could instantly transport myself from here to that galaxy I would find that it's all pretty chaotic over there. What's more, I'll be able to look back at Earth and see how developed the Milky Way is, how much larger galaxies are over here and how life preserving planets exist in abundance. My new galaxy has a lot of developing to do"

Not quite. That perspective is only true is you look at the galaxy through a telescope. Once you travel through space you cause a flip in the time dynamics of your universe. From your new galaxy, looking back at Earth, you'll see how the past ie, the young galaxy, is now your present and the Earth is now in the past. The implications of this are nothing short of mental illness. Suppose that there really is an alien creature from the edge of our universe looking in our direction through a telescope. He won't see anything interesting. That is, he won't see a fully formed Milky Way galaxy with the Earth inside of it. He won't see that because the light from our planet has not reached him yet. Does that mean we do not exist? Clearly not! If I could instantly transport myself over to the alien I could say to him (with the benefit of knowing the future,) "keep your telescope trained on that part of the sky. Soon, you'll witness the birth of alien life!"

Will that alien life form be more advanced than we are? Unlikely. The perspective of the universe from here on Earth will be the same perspective that the alien would have had. Specifically, the belief that they are in the center of all things. They would have existed for the same amount of time since, as we have seen, time is not a universal constant. It is a matter of perspective and reference. If us and the aliens have been travelling through space at a similar rate of speed then we will both have had the same perspective of relative objects (galaxies.) From our position here on Earth it looks as though they, those galaxies out there are younger than us and have existed for less time than we have. The truth is that they, looking back at us, believe the exact same thing only from their perspective it is they, not us, who have been in existance for the longer time.

We have been here for 5 billion years on this planet and there's little doubt that Mr E.T, if he is out there, will have a similar story to tell.

vic123

Feb 13, 2013
Really interesting Vic. Did you copy that from another source or are you quite knowledgable about this stuff?

Didn't copy this and I am not knowledgable in any important sense, only in the sense that I obsess about the subject and read as much as I can about it. I became interested in it when I first descovered the weird phenomina known as time dialation. In a nutshell it is the idea that I can jump centuries or even millenia into the future whilst aging very little or even not at all, relative to something that is not moving, like you on Earth, simply by moving very fast through space. This all works because time, as I touched upon briefly in my post, is a relative substance. We experience the flow of time as a smooth series of events. The seconds that tick by on our clocks appear rigid and unchanging, as if a second has a universal duration which is set against trhe backdrop. Not so. A second for me "could" last the same as an hour for you.

The passing of time is governed by the expansion of the universe and a consious observer is able to move against that expansion, thereby slowing the passage of time for that particular observer.

Space and time cannot exist independantly of each other as both are, in a literal sense, the same entity. Before I realised this, I liked to imagine that I could speed towards the very edge of space, crash through it and then turn and look back at the universe from the outside, seeing its shape and size from this unique position. That's impossible to do because when you step outside of the universe (whatever that means) you'll quite literally be stepping outside of time itself (whatever that means!) It all ensures that questions such as, "what is our universe expanding into?" and "what happened before the big bang?" are really, despite appearances, nonsensical questions. From our own perspective at least, there never was, is, could have been an "outside" or a "time" before the beginning.

A good way of looking at the literal effects of time dialation is to imagine the flow of time like a river. In reality, a second had a distance. That distance is, more or less, a quarter of a million miles per second or one light second. Imagine that you and I are sitting on a river bank. The passing of the water represents the passing of time. Now, clearly, if I wanted to make the water from this river pass by me more slowly I could do so simply by running along side the river in the direction of the flow. Imagine that this river flows at ten miles per hour and I, running at full speed, can run at 9.9 miles per hour. If I stood still and watched the river flow at full speed I would see ten miles pass by me every hour. If, on the other hand, I ran along side the river at full speed for one hour I would see only 0.1 miles of river pass by me. I would have made 0.1 of one hour stretch out or dialate over the course of one hour but of course, as far as my body clock is concerned, nothing special has happened. In other words, I have still aged one hour even though just 0.1 of one hour has passed me by. The effect of me running for one hour will ONLY become apparent if I looped around, came back to my starting point and spoke to you, my reference point, the only other person at the river of time. You had not ran at all whilst I had been running and as a result time ie, the passing of the river, had ran differently for you. Since I had been gone for one hour I would have epected one hour to have passed for you too but you, incredulous at being made to wait for so long just so that I could make my point exclaim, "AN HOUR?? Are you crazy? I've been here for DAYS!!"

For every unit of time I dilate for myself by moving quickly I compress several units into the same space for you but ONLY if you do not move at the same rate as me. Our river has a ratio of almost 10:1. I can (almost) cause ten units to pass for you for every one that passes for me.

When you use your Sat Nav remember that the satellites in space are moving quicker relative to you on the ground and as a result the clocks on those satellites had to be manually and deliberately callibrated to off set the effects of time dialation!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
What's vcash? I can see it there, lurking like some pretend, evil bank balance of the Internet. What's it for?

Vic its obvious that you are passionate about what you believe in but if you want to ride the intergalactic highway you will at some point need Vcash , as you can see by my miserly balance i have been taken up and probed quite a few times .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here