Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Does it matter where constituency candidates come from?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
on the other side of Worthing, Sir Peter Bottomley is standing again having been parachuted into the historical safe seat back in 1997. He has never lived in the town, isn’t seen that often and probably still needs to use a sat nav to find his way.

Laughton had many flaws but at least he made an effort to be seen regularly around the constituency.

Worthing West has seen changes in the local elections with the Greens even grabbing both Goring seats which have generally been fairly safe tory territory. The chances are that Bottomley will still get in but because there will be a split across the other parties rather than one direct challenger.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
on the other side of Worthing, Sir Peter Bottomley is standing again having been parachuted into the historical safe seat back in 1997. He has never lived in the town, isn’t seen that often and probably still needs to use a sat nav to find his way.

Laughton had many flaws but at least he made an effort to be seen regularly around the constituency.

Worthing West has seen changes in the local elections with the Greens even grabbing both Goring seats which have generally been fairly safe tory territory. The chances are that Bottomley will still get in but because there will be a split across the other parties rather than one direct challenger.

The bookies have both Worthing seats as Labour certs, markets effectively closed.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The bookies have both Worthing seats as Labour certs, markets effectively closed.
Exactly. Down-from-London Tom doesn't need my vote to win EW&S and, even if he were to lose by just the one vote, Labour don't need EW&S to have a bumper majority in Westminster.

It's quite funny to look at the website he put up when he tried to be Labour's candidate for Wycombe, and failed. He took it down, of course, but the internet never forgets...

2022: "I want to represent all of Wycombe’s communities, in all of their brilliant diversity. Whether it’s joining an Eid celebration at the Wycombe Mosque, cheering on the Chairboys at Adams Park, or marching at Pride, I will be an accessible and visible champion for everyone who calls Wycombe home."

2024: "I want to represent all of our communities, in all of their brilliant diversity. Whether it’s joining an Eid celebration at the Worthing Mosque, taking part in a Big Clean Up on Broadwater Green, or marching at Pride, I will be an accessible and visible champion for everyone who calls East Worthing and Shoreham home."

It's just duplicitous nonsense.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly. Down-from-London Tom doesn't need my vote to win EW&S and, even if he were to lose by just the one vote, Labour don't need EW&S to have a bumper majority in Westminster.

It's quite funny to look at the website he put up when he tried to be Labour's candidate for Wycombe, and failed. He took it down, of course, but the internet never forgets...

2022: "I want to represent all of Wycombe’s communities, in all of their brilliant diversity. Whether it’s joining an Eid celebration at the Wycombe Mosque, cheering on the Chairboys at Adams Park, or marching at Pride, I will be an accessible and visible champion for everyone who calls Wycombe home."

2024: "I want to represent all of our communities, in all of their brilliant diversity. Whether it’s joining an Eid celebration at the Worthing Mosque, taking part in a Big Clean Up on Broadwater Green, or marching at Pride, I will be an accessible and visible champion for everyone who calls East Worthing and Shoreham home."

That’s awful. Revealing a lazy career politician.

Shame that you have no true choice. I have Green v Labour.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Anybody who thinks the future direction of this country is less important than where a candidate comes from needs to give their head a wobble.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

At least he’s consistent in his thoughts :lolol:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think it's important in a district, town, or city councillor to have a good understanding and experience of the local area.

MP I'm not fussed about, I'd rather the best person, it's a job after all

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But they will have to work with others in government to get things done. You can't just be a one man pressure group. And if you keep voting against your own party you may end up like Jeremy Corbyn. Out on your arse howling at the moon.
And that is a perfect arguement to stop voting for political parties and instead fill parliament with independents.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it's important in a district, town, or city councillor to have a good understanding and experience of the local area.

MP I'm not fussed about, I'd rather the best person, it's a job after all
Agree. Our constituency democracy is about representing the local view on national politics in parliament. MPs are elected to govern the county, not to make sure a pelican crossing is put in on the local busy junction.

I’m pretty sure I’m asking a candidate for my MP what their view on taxation is, NHS, privatisation, education etc. not whether they remember the bowling alley in King Alfred being open or not…

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The irony of people criticising the labour candidate when they've probably voted for the retiring tory numerous times.

Whats the difference?
Who is that then?

I've certainly not voted for Laughton since I moved back to Sussex.

I'm also not criticising "Tom 4 Places That Begin With W That Have A Mosque" personally, merely the whole concept of parachuting in candidate in this way. I readily acknowledge in my opening post that all parties do this. His now-deleted-but-handily-archived Wycombe campaigning site does nicely expose the whole thing for what it is though.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's a factor and to me, a major one at local elections. But for GE's where we are electing a Government to run the whole country, less so. There have been numerous examples of candidates who had no local connections turning out to be excellent hard working, local MPs including the one we currently have in Brighton Pavilion.

And as pointed out earlier, Ivan and Timmy were both local. Totally useless amateur level narcissists, but local :lolol:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Sir Peter 9 houses Bottomley is at a distinct advantage when it comes to counting as local.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Why? It is entirely reasonable aspiration (I want, not I am) and I would expect nothing less from someone hoping to move in and be my MP.

What would you prefer him to say that would sit comfortably with you and allow you to vote for him, someone who is not local?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I feel exactly the same about young Tom. Almost certainly a decent chap but who is he ? I thought Carl Walker would get the gig but he stood against Labour as a NHS candidate a while back. That excludes him apparently.
Carl Walker should have got the gig, the NHS candidate thing wasn't an issue, as he has stood for Labour twice locally since then but young Tom was effectively 'parachuted in' by the NEC, hence Carl's regrettable resignation from the local party.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Who is that then?

I've certainly not voted for Laughton since I moved back to Sussex.

I'm also not criticising "Tom 4 Places That Begin With W That Have A Mosque" personally, merely the whole concept of parachuting in candidate in this way. I readily acknowledge in my opening post that all parties do this. His now-deleted-but-handily-archived Wycombe campaigning site does nicely expose the whole thing for what it is though.
I expect he is going to win by landslide. He may have been parachuted in, but he has been everywhere ever since and seems to always be out with a team knocking on doors. If this is how he is going to approach his new day job if elected, we may gain a hard working MP.

The worst case scenario for a parachuted in candidate is for them to be elected and in opposition. They have no levers in government and have to pmanufacture an interest in representing the community. In government there are always handouts and favours, to those close to power or seen as useful.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Carl Walker should have got the gig, the NHS candidate thing wasn't an issue, as he has stood for Labour twice locally since then but young Tom was effectively 'parachuted in' by the NEC, hence Carl's regrettable resignation from the local party.

But you're a big Bottomley fan (that sounds worse than intended :wink:) and he was 'parachuted' in over local prospects :shrug:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here