Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Crawley's ground meet Football League requirements?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
An entirely hypothetical question, given that it's only September, but as Crawley seem to be doing rather well this season (as I write, beating Mansfield, and having unusually failed to have any points deducted yet), it set me wondering.

Were they to pull off the unexpected and win the Blue Square Premier, or the play offs at least, would the Broadfield Stadium reach the level required for a Football League ground grading?*

NB: ignore the news, a few minutes ago on SCR, that the first half against Mansfield has been delayed due to some guttering falling off the roof
:lolol:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Can't see why it wouldn't meet the requirements. It's a rather nice ground as it happens, with room to be expanded if necessary.

I think the reason we didn't share it is that they didn't want us

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No, because the local council were against it.

I can't find the FL requirements anywhere, only the A grading for the BSP, which states that you must have accommodation, either standing or seated on 3 sides, and any empty sides must have means to prevent supporters gaining access.

And you need a capacity of 4,000. Is that the same for the league then?

Crawley 2-0 up now, they should actually have a decent crowd there today, and start picking up the fans they lost when the Majeeds were in charge.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
If it was up to standard, wouldn't Albion have arranged a ground-share there instead of at Gillingham?

That decision wasn't down to Crawley FC, it was down to Crawley town council?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What about Eastbourne Borough then? I assume Lewes wouldn't be up to scratch, even more hypothetically, given they've about as much chance of making the Football League as Gary Glitter has of getting a job in Mothercare.

Sep 20, 2005
No, because the local council were against it.
No they weren't. Allegedly.
Here's what I was told, at the time, by someone pretty high up on the council.
All bar one member of the council actually wanted the Albion there, assuming it would be good for both clubs, and the town itself. Many were furious it never went through.
Albion had agreed the same fee they ended up paying Gillingham, as well as agreeing to pay for upgrading the side of the pitch opposite the main stand. They also agreed to pay for any re-turfing that might need to be done.
Just one solitary councillor stood in their way and fought tooth and nail against the deal. Councillors from all three parties were united on the issue and even the MP was in favour.
The councillor in question was able to veto the deal by virtue of the fact that the ground was in his ward.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Couldn't leave Sussex in time today to get to Yeovil so went along to the Broadfield. Crawley look like a really good side. They murdered Mansfield for 70 minutes and then got a bit tired but they played some very good, high tempo football. Crowd of just over 2,000 was not bad. Good atmosphere - much better than ours. Having made the mistake to see Lewes once this season I can see why they're at opposite ends of the league.

PC BHA

Sep 29, 2005
edna,

Crawley's ground does meet the FL requirements and they would be allowed in league 2

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Broadfield is quite a tidy little ground, although theres not *that* much more room around it, they could probably put double decker stands in ala brentford to expand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here