Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone remember these 2 cult football shows?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Firstly, a show that was (i think) on ITV on friday evenings with Danny Baker, it was about sunday morning pub football and Baker would commentate on a game based in London, i remember cracking up over his comments about pear shaped men in shirts and shorts that were 2 sizes too small, it was not on for long, but at the time cult viewing.

The other is easier, Quizball, possibly a forerunner to Question of sport, sports people used to answer questions to light up lights that lead to a goal, I think it was introduced by the magnificent David Coleman.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Still think 'They think it's all over' was brilliant with a special mention to Saint and Greavsie.

Albion Rob

Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone remember a magazine called The Onion Bag? Was an offbeat football mag from the early to mid 90s.

I'm pretty sure it was produced in Brighton but not sure.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Quizball - David Vine, I think. Various routes to score a goal- could well have been the origin of "Route One". They were the hardest questions and took you straight to goal!

Yes, of course it was David Vine.
Saint & Greavsie were brilliant, they done On The Ball on World Of Sport many years ago i think, then Saint and Greavsie. But they also done Sporting Triangles which was supposed to compete with Question of Sport, but was absolute pony.
They think its all over was also very good.
Does anyone think that a league of their own is as good, personally I cannot stand James Corden.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone remember a magazine called The Onion Bag? Was an offbeat football mag from the early to mid 90s.

I'm pretty sure it was produced in Brighton but not sure.

Yes, I do! It was hilarious. At least I thought so at the time. When I found an old copy a few years ago, I re-read it and it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it was.:( A case of nostalgia ain't what it used to be although the retro football culture pieces by Derek Hammond (of 'Got Not Got' fame) were still excellent, I thought!

You're right. It was based at Brighton Business Centre.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, of course it was David Vine.
Saint & Greavsie were brilliant, they done On The Ball on World Of Sport many years ago i think, then Saint and Greavsie. But they also done Sporting Triangles which was supposed to compete with Question of Sport, but was absolute pony.
They think its all over was also very good.
Does anyone think that a league of their own is as good, personally I cannot stand James Corden.

I was just going to say Sporting Triangles. That was dire.

That said, A Question Of Sport is cringeworthy at the best of times now. Sure, it was always a bit cheesy (see Hughes, Emlyn) but at least in its heyday it was viewed as having some kind of status. Sports stars knew they'd made it when they were asked to appear. It says an awful lot about the esteem in which its currently held that they now have guests like Tim Lovejoy and Patrick Kielty. It's either them, or they resort to dusting off Dennis Taylor, Barry McGuigan, Tessa Sanderson and other relics of the 1980s just to fill the seats.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Anyone remember 'Standing Room Only' with Shelley Webb?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I used to enjoy that one with David baddiel and frank skinner, with jeff astle 'singing' at the end. What was that called?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Here you go. To be honest, I don't remember ever seeing it myself.

[yt]R_kZfYrT0Rw[/yt]

I do remember very late nights watching this though.

[yt]Ry9xPN8G_-E[/yt]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I used to enjoy that one with David baddiel and frank skinner, with jeff astle 'singing' at the end. What was that called?

Fantasy football.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I was trying to think of the programme that was presented by that Scouser who (I think) used to be in Brookside- Simon something or other? Was that it?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Don't remember that one, but remember Shelley Webb used to pop up on the radio version of Fantasy Football League with Dominik Diamond, which was/is my favourite sports show.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This one has Des Lynam on it. You can skip straight to around 1:40 for a tiny bit of Albion talk too.

[yt]aCYI3T3PF8A[/yt]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I was trying to think of the programme that was presented by that Scouser who (I think) used to be in Brookside- Simon something or other? Was that it?

He used to do some excellent African Cup of Nations coverage too. I can see him now but can't think of his name.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He used to do some excellent African Cup of Nations coverage too. I can see him now but can't think of his name.

Damn, that's going to bug me. It was the first football fanzine show really, as opposed to the traditional, old boys network, back-slapping exercises for washed up pros that were on before that. See Saint & Greavsie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here