Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone remember October 1 1983 - Albion 7 Charlton 0

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I remember it very well because me and my mate had to get to the station asap after because we were going to a concert so we were virtually at the gate as the final whistle went. Off we trotted to the station, were it seemed it was just the two of us and a solitary policeman on the Worthing bound platform, when a group of about 30 Charlton supporters came onto our platfrom. We were immediately circled by them and was getting some stick when the policeman thought he had better get in front of us for protection. All it did was make them surge at us and give us a bit of a roughing up.

Those were the days

Seagull Stew

Jimmy Case scored his 3 goals in the first half.

I think the high scoring game with all different scorers was the
6-1 win over Carlisle a few years later. In that game I remember Graham Moseley facing a twice taken penalty, saving both times!

Or did I dream it?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes - why ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Millard is still around in Haywards Heath. He lost most of his sports reporting jobs and works for a taxi firm on the phone. Plus he's likely to still be buggering young men. imho and that of the courts a Pervert.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
PILTDOWN MAN said:
Millard is still around in Haywards Heath. He lost most of his sports reporting jobs and works for a taxi firm on the phone. Plus he's likely to still be buggering young men. imho and that of the courts a Pervert.

Ooops a daisy :ohmy:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
What a quality weekend. I was en route from the Baltic down to Africa on HMS Fearless; we had a collision in the channel & had to go into Portland for repairs. I went home for the weekend, went to see the Albion crush the Addicks, (Jimmy Case was outstanding) then I went on the piss; pulled a blinder down the Pink Coconut, (I think it had be renamed from Sherries by then) & got yards!

Marvellous scenes. :clap2:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
gwpdylan said:
i recall in the 70's we put 7 past york and i believe it was on match of the day. i was at sisters wedding and spent most of the time listening to radio and updating anyone interested in the score

7-2, & I was on MOTD as we always used to run on the pitch at the end when the cameras were there. My Mum gave me a slap.

They did a big feature on Peter Ward. 3rd Div football on MOTD, those were the days.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
was at the charlton game in the north stand great memories
was also at the bristol rovers cup game in midweek and if my memory serves me correctly we actually went a goal behind early in the game.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
PILTDOWN MAN said:

I thought he works for SKY sports as a match reporter on Gillette sports Saturday:shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Remember it well. I was a ball-boy in front of the South Stand.

I have more vague memories of another occasion that hopefully someone can shed light on. I may have all this totally confused!

I believe we won this particular game 4-0 or 5-0. Terry Connor had scored two, then right at the end we got a penalty. Whoever was supposed to be the penalty taker [Dennis Mortimer possibly?] let Connor take it to try for his hat-trick. I can't even remember if he scored [I think he did], but after the game, even though we'd won handsomely, the manager started laying into them in the tunnel, for disobeying his instructions on who should have taken it! [This DID happen btw. I know that, as being a ball-boy, I was there in the tunnel at the time. I just can't remember the details of the game]

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I was asked to choose from being ballboy for Whitehawk against Three Bridges or going to Albion v. Charlton.

Guess which one I chose?

:thud:

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
That was my reintroduction to the Albion. Have been taken to games by my dad as a nipper, my family moved away from Brighton. On by return to Brighton Poly in 1983 I decided to re acquaint myself with the Goldstone. Had problems getting there and arrive late (from what I recall we were three goals up when I arrived). Steward said something like - you've missed all the goals - and let me into the north stand for free!

I have never looked back - seem to remember Joe Corrigan taken a break whilst we were on the attack and sitting down at the foot of one of the goal posts.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I seem to remember it was pissing down. (In case that helps jog anyone's memory.)

And it was the first game for ages that my mate Derek missed.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Remember it well. They were above us in the league at the time. I was on the east terrace -hq for the moaners who were less likely to get behind the players than anybody at Withdean. I went there coz the view was good. Could have been more but sub Michael Ring missed a couple of easy chances late on.

Sorry but I also remember the thumpings of Wisbech and Southend in 1965.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Remember this 7-0 game really well, case had an unbeleivable game and unless my memory is playing tricks on me, Keiran O` Regan played in this game and he was absolute class throughout the match, although i dont think he scored he played some tremendous stuff, it was 5-0 at half time and I can remember though that the 2nd half especially the first 30 mins of it was just about as good as it gets, everyone remembers Connor having a great game but I can remember Case getting monstrous applause when he went off. Brilliant day, what a bugger no cameras were there!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That was the first season I went regularly but I missed that one. We went to my grandparents house and got to their house - near Woolwich just in time for the half time score to be read out on the telly.
Grandpa was a bit pissed off as we walked through the door - well he was a Charlton supporter. :D

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seagull Stew said:
Jimmy Case scored his 3 goals in the first half.

I

My overiding memory of that game:

I in the N/E corner of the ground beside the Charlton fans, one of whom shouted out "Case you're a f***ing useless hasbeen" about 20 seconds before he unleashed a screamer into the net.

Happy days :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here