Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone remember October 1 1983 - Albion 7 Charlton 0

The goalfest against Northwich t'other day reminded me of a another big scoring game of years gone by - Golddstone Saturday October 1 1983 v Charlton when we won 7 - 0.

I expect many of you were there - I wasn't as I was at a friends wedding (we do still occasionally remind him of our sacrifice!). Although I can't find the scorers on the web I believe it was seven different ones.

A friend who did attend claims that he heard a post match interview on the way home along these lines:-

Interviewer (Millard perhaps, whatever happened to him?): - Well ***** (believe it was either Catlin or Case being interviewed), I bet you can't remember being in another game where seven different players scored for the Albion?"

Interviewee. No, although it would probably have been a 5 a side game or something.

...Can anyone out there satisfy the trainspotter within me and tell me who scored (please) - and what did happen to Millard??:dunce: :dunce:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
yep, I was there. I think we were 5-0 up at half time? and Cattlin complained in the press the second half performance wasn't good enough.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes, I had planned to go to the game but decided not to at the last minute, can't remember the reason why...but I did.

Tuned in the radio to check the score some way into the second half, the Radio Brighton commentator seemed to be in a really good mood, breaking the news that we were 5 goals to the good, then crossing over to the Goldstone where we had just scored the seventh.

However I did see us play Charlton at home a couple of years later, they beat us 5-3. The games I saw either side of that were the 6-1 victory over Carlisle and a 5-0 win for England over Turkey, 20 goals in three games.

D

Deleted User X18H

I was there we beat Bristol Rovers in a league cup game 4-2 the Wednesday after 5-0 up at half time first half goals in front of a packed North Stand.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I will never forget that game. But I'll rely on others to confirm the scorers.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes,I was at this one.5-0 at half time and expected another 6 in the second half.

Never saw a worse Charlton team..........oh!Hang on a minute..........

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I was there (East Terrace North) with a young chap from Ireland who came along with a friend of mine.

He'd never been to a football match before, and seemed a bit perplexed by all the excitement. At half-time, with Brighton 5-0 up, he finally got it. "Ah," he said. "So it's not like this every week?"

If memory serves, btw, Charlton were still unbeaten before that game.

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
mtoto said:
I was there (East Terrace North) with a young chap from Ireland who came along with a friend of mine.

He'd never been to a football match before, and seemed a bit perplexed by all the excitement. At half-time, with Brighton 5-0 up, he finally got it. "Ah," he said. "So it's not like this every week?"

If memory serves, btw, Charlton were still unbeaten before that game.

Hope you explained that it WAS always like that,but without the goals.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
The perfect response, just 23 years late.

Isn't that always the way?

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
i recall in the 70's we put 7 past york and i believe it was on match of the day. i was at sisters wedding and spent most of the time listening to radio and updating anyone interested in the score

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
In the 7-0 game Michael Ring came on in the second half (for Case?) and then it is when the goals stopped. This was also the game that Terry Connor finally looked the great player that we all knew he was following his move from Leeds. He ran the game and took a bow in front of the West Stand at the end of the game.

The 5-3 game has us playing a young Martin Keown on loan to use from Arsenal as an emergency centre forward.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
For some reason I went to Notts County Vs Everton that day. At least I lived in Nottingham though, my uncle and cousin (both Albion STHs) travelled up from Sussex for the game. When they put the scores up on the scoreboard at halftime - old fashioned one where letters represented games and a little old fellow slotted bits of card in to tell you the scores - there was much anguish on all our parts. I can remember that half time, but can't remember anything at all about the County/Everton match, other than that we saw Justin Fashanu going into the main stand before the game, and sprinted after him to get his autograph.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here