Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone miss Bridders? ... i don't

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
There seems to be a certain amount of revisionism going on here form some posters. Bridcutt was an outstanding player for us. Player of the season two years in a row. We've done o.k without him....but how much better would we have done with a fit and focused Bridcutt? Of course, we'll never know but personally I would have preferred Bridcutt of the last two seasons over Andrews in our midfield(and that's not to denigrate Andrews who has done a decent job) and suspect we'd have more points if we had have.

As for Ince, he's clearly a player with a lot of promise and is already becoming very important to our midfield. He may even go on to be more important to us than Bridcutt was but what a midfield we could have had with the two of them in tandem. The Leicester game was a tantalising glimpse of what might have been.

Can't argue that with how things developed over the summer and the first half of the season it's probably worked out for the best that he went when he did. Shame he acted like a bit of a div at the end though.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Tough one. Bridcutt and Ince couldn't be MORE different, and (this needs to be stressed) INCE ISN'T A REPLACEMENT FOR BRIDCUTT.

Thing is, Bridcutt more than anyone represented Gus's calm, classy, composed, SLOW possession football. So it feels appropriate in a way that he's moved on.

I love Rohan Ince, but he is an UTTER LUNATIC.

Totally agree. I love Ince too, but one expression I have never seen used about him, which surprises me, is "built like a brick sh*thouse" because he always seems both very long (i.e. tall) and very wide .

Bridcutt was pure class, but we are managing well without him.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Ince is definitely the reason we're not missing him. It'd be a different story had he not blossomed this season.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He reminds me of the lead character in the kids book 'Giraffes Can't Dance'.

I found myself NATURALLY calling him Bambi.

Don't get me wrong, he is ACE....but he absolutely can't control those legs once he gets going.

I sympathise. I'm 6ft 4 (and a half) and know his pain. Damn legs.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Nope because has been pointed out we've survived without him...Andrews is his replacement to me... The emergence of Ince has been a revelation.
But that's been talked about for the last five months hasn't it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. We've done o.k without him....but how much better would we have done with a fit and focused Bridcutt? .

Not convinced that he would look half the player in an Oscar team, what little I saw of him this season he was struggling to adjust to a more attacking role. Sure he wasn't fit but I am pretty certain Oscar wants midfielders who can create and score. Would Liam have done as well as Crofts this year, I don't think he would but we'll never know. What is certain that in a Poyet team he was THE MAN.

I miss him as much as he misses us btw.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Been done to death so one final time from me! We miss the Bridcutt of seasons past. All but a handful of English clubs would miss the Bridcutt of seasons past, he is that good. We don't miss the injured and then lacking in focus Bridcutt of this season.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Had he gone in the summer and you'd asked the question then, the answer would have been yes. This season he made it quite plain he didn't want to be here so the answer is a definite No! We now have a player in Ince who, whilst he has a lot to learn, clearly wants to play for the club.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I know it is a view that attracts the label (among other less polite comments) of being fickle, but those last weeks when he effectively declined to play for us took a lot of the gloss off three years of adolation and left a frankly nasty taste....much the same as the departure of his current boss.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I dont miss any of the players we have released in the last year

There seems to be a certain amount of revisionism going on here form some posters. Bridcutt was an outstanding player for us. Player of the season two years in a row. We've done o.k without him....but how much better would we have done with a fit and focused Bridcutt? Of course, we'll never know but personally I would have preferred Bridcutt of the last two seasons over Andrews in our midfield(and that's not to denigrate Andrews who has done a decent job) and suspect we'd have more points if we had have.

As for Ince, he's clearly a player with a lot of promise and is already becoming very important to our midfield. He may even go on to be more important to us than Bridcutt was but what a midfield we could have had with the two of them in tandem. The Leicester game was a tantalising glimpse of what might have been.

Can't argue that with how things developed over the summer and the first half of the season it's probably worked out for the best that he went when he did. Shame he acted like a bit of a div at the end though.

Yes the revisionism is hilarious but same old NSC - always a shift from one extreme to another with no stop-off in between.

For what its worth I thought he was a little overrated during the Poyet years and voted for others to be player of the season. But there was no denying that he suited Poyet's total possession style of football which has been replaced by Oscar's more direct style (and before anyone leaps on me, that description is Andrea Orlandi's in a recent match programme interview).

Ince has been a big bonus but I dont think has played as well in recent weeks as he did in 2013. So I think Bridcutt would be playing regularly now on merit if he'd have stayed.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Not convinced that he would look half the player in an Oscar team, what little I saw of him this season he was struggling to adjust to a more attacking role. Sure he wasn't fit but I am pretty certain Oscar wants midfielders who can create and score. Would Liam have done as well as Crofts this year, I don't think he would but we'll never know. What is certain that in a Poyet team he was THE MAN.

I miss him as much as he misses us btw.

I understand your point and its a fair enough one to raise. I think it's difficult to judge though as he got injured so early on that he didn't have the time to adjust and by the time he was fit again his mind was clearly further north than falmer.

He is IMO, and again I stress that I'm not denigrating the man, a better defensive midfielder than Andrews and as such would have brought more to the team in that role than Andrews. The likely result of which would obviously be more points.

It's entirely possible that his influence on the team might have waned under Oscar and that he would have ceded his role as the midfield lynch pin to Ince but I'm confident he would be closer to the old Bridcutt than a 50% version of him.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Our transition into a 'Liam-less team', has been remarkable in my opinion. With the emergence of Incy, and with Keith Andrews also being able to do the defensive midfield job once carried out by Liam Bridcutt I don't feel that we have really missed him at all.

Other views welcome.

He was a great player for Albion but I tend to agree in someways mate, not missed as much as i though he would be.
But Rohan Ince is the real deal what a class act future England star IMHO one of the best midfielders in the Division !
But if it wasn't for us having Ince, I really don't think we would have let him go until the end of the season

Would Liam have done as well as Crofts this year, I don't think he would

To be fair, they play totally different roles in midfield. And Oscar has kept the role of deep lying midfielder that Gus imprinted on the team. Ince scored against a League 1 team for sure but then so did Bridders somewhat more famously?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
As others have said we havn't missed Bridcutt this season as he hasn't been a part of it, The emergence of Ince has been brilliant though and proved there is life beyond Liam. Ince might not look as calm and assured as Bridcutt did but I wouldn't mind betting he can be more difficult to play against because of his size, strength, pace, tackling ability and never give up attitude.
One final thing has to be thanks to Gus Poyet, Not only did he pick us up a very good player for nothing but he came back and gave us our record transfer fee for him as well. Cheers Gus :thumbsup:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ince and Bridcutt looked class together against Leicester, but apart from that game Bridcutt looked a bit lost in the few games he's been fit and 'focused' this season.

Ince hasn't got the same brain as Bridcutt, but he's got pace and strength. The tackle he made on Monday when he chased down a player on the counter with a 3m head start - and then got fouled and injured - is what he's all about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here